The Ultimate Album List
Jul 14, 2005 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

periurban

100+ Head-Fier
Here's how it works. Everyone can nominate one album per post. If an album that's been nominated gets a second, it's on the list. To take an album off the list it has to get a nomination and a second.

Remember, only one album per post.

I'll start with one of my favourites.

EDIT - OK, here's a rule clarification. You can make as many nominations or seconds as you like, but only one per post please (to keep it neat and visible!)

I'll edit this post as and when I can to keep the list as current as possible, but if you second a nomination, title your post "AlbumXX Seconded" so I can pick 'em out, and update the list in that post too. Means I don't have to do all the work, and makes it easier for folks to work with.

CURRENT LIST

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Led Zeppelin - IV
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Notwist - Neon Golden
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Bob Dylan - Bringing it all back home
The Who - Tommy
Derick And The Dominos - Layla and Assorted Other Love Songs
Allman Brothers - Live At The Filmore
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Queen - A night at the opera

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 41
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - One Size Fits All

A great album, beautifully recorded and expertly played. The master at his best.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 41
Well, cliche at it's best but it has to be said...

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

One of the best jazz album I've ever heard and it also holds the distinction of being the album that made me moved into the jazz world. The cool tunes and the easy style that play at really gets you into the groove of things, and halfway through, you might forget that this might be the greatest jazz album album ever, you instead remember the is the greatest music ever.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 41
Welll being that I actually got to see there whole live performance this weekend.

What is ??

Dark side of the Moon

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 41
Right now, Mark Springer and Sarah Sarhandi - Swans and Turtles, but anyother time it would be Frank Zappa - Civilization phase III

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 41
Hmmm, guess most of us could probably name a whole bunch of these ultimate albums, but I'll just mention one that I was listening to this morning, The Notwist Neon Golden.

This CD came with a sticker on the cover quoting Ministry Magazine, "This will eat its way into your brain until you don't want to listen to anything else", and I have to say that is exactly what happened to me after getting it and I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment. A little Kraftwerk sounding new wave mixed with some of that IDM glitch sound, but all in support of some wonderfully crafted indie pop songs. My favorite album of 2002 and one of my favorites of the last few years as well. Electronic music that is so sublime you might even forget these guys are plugged in. The electronics are balanced with guitar and, in some songs, cello and violin, and even with some wonderfully endearing forays into folk music with banjo and other assorted instruments. Probably also worth noting that it's a pretty nice sounding CD, not surprisingly mastered at Abbey Road by oldtimer Chris Blair.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 41
I'm afraid there are too many ultimate albums and is an album being seconded enough to have it pass through? Should there be a limit, say 50 and some process of elimination through polling in the end? Anyway, I'll go along, what the heck.

Easy & obvious:

Led Zeppelin IV

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 41
OK, I'll second Thriller, which means it makes it onto the list. Any two folks disagree, and off it comes again!

So far we have one entry.

I'm intrigued by the Notwist album you mention. I'm trying to track it down. If it's as good as you say we'll get it on the list! It'd be nice to see some unusual stuff on there.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I'm afraid there are too many ultimate albums and is an album being seconded enough to have it pass through? Should there be a limit, say 50 and some process of elimination through polling in the end? Anyway, I'll go along, what the heck.

Easy & obvious:

Led Zeppelin IV

It might get a bit chaotic, but hey! that'll be part of the fun (maybe!)

Oh, and I'll second your choice.

Led Zeppelin - IV

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by periurban
I'm intrigued by the Notwist album you mention. I'm trying to track it down. If it's as good as you say we'll get it on the list! It'd be nice to see some unusual stuff on there.

It's a pretty popular band and album around here and is one of the most acclaimed albums of the last few years too so should probably be a shoe-in. Not that unusual compared to some of the really obscure stuff often mentioned here
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 41
I'll nominate "A Night at the Opera" by Queen. Not only would each individual song on its own stand out as some of the best rock ever made, but the album as a unit is simply incredible. I think it's the most successful "concept album" (the concept being a spoof on Gilbert & Sullivan-style operettas) ever made. If you only know Bohemian Rhapsody, there's an entire album of that kind of stuff! Bohemian Rhapsody's just the finale. That's my vote.

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 41
This seems like a fun game, but let me get the rules straight. I know we can only nominate one album, but judging by periurban posts I assume we can second as many albums as we want?
Also, periurban, perhaps you should edit your first post with an updated list of the names of nominated albums and wether or not they have been seconded, unvoted, etc.

As for my nomination I'm going to pick The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat.

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 41
Richard Wagner: Parsifal
Pierre Boulez conducting the Bayreuth Festival Orchestra, 1970

Postmodernism meets high German Romanticism. A can't miss combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back