The Ukulele Master
Feb 28, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 11
That guy is amazing.
eek.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Yup, without a doubt Jake Shimabukuro is a ukulele virtuoso. He started playing at the age of 4 when his mother gave him his first ukulele and lesson. If you thought that video of him is awesome, you should see him play live as it is an awesome sight to see. He can strum his ukulele with lightning speed that will leave you amazed. Jake used to do free lunch time concerts at a park about a block away from my office. It's too bad those lunch time concerts no longer happen anymore. Jake plays the ukulele like Jimi Hendrix plays the guitar. He can play just about any type of music on the ukulele not only Hawaiian but also Jazz, Rock, Blues, Classic, and Country. Jake is also a huge star in Japan (many in Japan recognize him and he tours there quite often) and has an exclusive recording contract with Sony. Despite his fame, Jake remains very down to earth and humble. He spends some of his free time at various local elementary schools here in Hawaii speaking to young kids encouraging them to study hard and stay in school and also teching them a little on how to play the ukulele. A really nice and cool guy if you ever got a chance to meet him.

Jake's ukulele is custom made by Kamaka Ukuleles which just celebrated 90 yrs in the ukulele business and still going strong. Kamaka Ukuleles was founded by Samuel K. Kamaka in 1916 and is currently operated by Samuel's son Sam Kamaka Jr. Kamaka is also credited for being the first to design, build, and introduce the Pineapple shaped body ukulele. Kamaka makes one of the finest sounding ukuleles available from Hawaii.

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (most of us here in Hawaii know him as Bruddah IZ or simply IZ) is also legendary not only in Hawaii but world wide. He passed away on June 26 1997 at the age of 38 from health problems due to his morbid obesity. He left behind a wife and daughter. IZ's body is only one of three to ever lay in state at the Hawaii State Capitol building upon his passing. IZ's passing was mourned state wide and his funeral procession all the way up to the scattering of his ashes at sea in front of his hometown was of epic proportions. His spirit and songs still lives on strong as his cds consistently remain in the top 5 on the Hawaiian music charts. His songs has been and continues to be used in many movies and tv sitcoms.

Bruddah Iz has become the first-ever Island artist to earn gold certification in 2002 from the Recording Industry Association of America for his "Facing Future" CD. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's disc is the first full-length album from Hawai'i to be certified gold and the first-ever gold status earned by a record company from the Islands. Gold, in industry jargon, represents sales of 500,000; the other milestone in sales is platinum, or 1,000,000.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 11
I saw him way back when he was with Pure Heart he is amazing, he also came to my school when he was with Colon but that was all the way back in 6th grade
tongue.gif
. Watching him play the uke is eye popping.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:16 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
Is it Israel Kamakawiwo'ole?

He will always be the true uke master to me.

bruddaiz.jpg

We miss you man.

I completely agree. IZ's music has soul and heart instead of technical wizardry.

Jake Shimabukuro is great though. I own two of his albums (future pick of the week.
evil_smiley.gif
- maybe)
tongue.gif

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 11
Resurrecting this post from the bowels of Head-Fi archives - if your into Ukulele then check out http://thebeatlescompleteonukulele.com/.  This is a cover site for Beatles compositions and most / all tracks have a little or a lot of Ukulele featured.  I like this site because most of the contributors don't slavishly follow the original.  You can pick it up in iTunes also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back