The truth about trying headphones in stores
Dec 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.
I'm curious on how fair u can try out some headphones in the store. Are they connected to an amp? Are they being messed with?
The reason I'm asking this is because Ive tried a few headphones (Momentum, Sony mdr-1A, Beats studio, Bose qc25,.) and the beasts REALY impressed me in terms of clarity, overall quality and the amount of bass that came out of it.

If I have to believe everthing that ive read on head-fi then it just doesnt feel right that they sound SO good, compared to the other headphones listed above.

Can anyone prove or does anyone know how they connect their headphones? 

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 10
You should not trust any of those pre-built listening displays like you might see at BestBuy, Frys, etc. Especially not the ones built by a specific manufacturer like Sony, Beats or Bose. They are absolutely tailored to exaggerate positive attributes in a noisy store environment. The songs are specifically picked and they may have been EQ'd and amped. If you can't hook your own source directly to the 'phones, then I would assume shenanigans!

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 10
If you can demo headphones on your own personal phone, mp3 player, etc. and you like them, then go for it. Maybe you like Beats. That's fine. 

But, as mentioned, don't assume that the store demo displays will give you a realistic sense of what a certain headphone will sound like in the real world. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 10
There are only a few that u can listen with your own device now that I think about it. I will try and go back to the store to test that out.

Well no, I don't like how much bass the beats have, its too much for me. But it just sounded way better than this example: 
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/beats-by-dr-dre-studio/s-sD3X6?in=sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test#t=0:00

They had more power, more detail.. I don't know how to explain it because I don't understand the audiophile terms.

Soo.. Do I have to blind buy a headphone ? Since u can't realy trust the store. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 10
My best advice is to find a best buy that has a magnolia store attached to it. Magnolia sells more "audiophile" type products, and you can test all of their headphones on your device. 

The next best alternative is to buy your top two or three choices online from a place with a good return policy, and then return the losers. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 10
As stated above, but not emphasized - maybe you just like the Beats headphones more than the others. Bad stigma aside, you shouldn't have to convince yourself to like certain headphones based on reputation. I'll go one step further and suggest that if you buy and live with the Beats for a while, you'll have more experience with them than most of the people discriminating.

However I would also agree that you can't trust the in-store experience to represent the norm. The situation is the same with TVs. The settings on the TVs inside of brightly light and energetic stores serve to optimize the display in those unusual environments. The brightest TV wins even though its picture is often times inferior to other TVs on display.

Just flip a coin and buy a pair of headphones. Experience them for a while, and then you can trade them for another pair when you're ready.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 10
The latest revision of the Beats are not nearly as bad as the originals. They are still what they are - but I think they do now at least actually try to sound decent.

Head-fi meets are a GREAT way to listen to more headphones in one day then you have ever seen in any store. Watch the meets forum for one near you.

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks but I live in , there is no bestbuy or other stores where I can test headphones out.
Also, here in u can't just return tried stuff. Once it is opened u'll have a very, very small chance of returning it back.

Im not into beats, nor will I buy them because they are over my budget. And the buildquality just felt cheap. It was just a thing I noticed.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 10
  Thanks but I live in Belgium, there is no bestbuy or other stores where I can test headphones out.
Also, here in Belgium u can't just return tried stuff. Once it is opened u'll have a very, very small chance of returning it back.

Im not into beats, nor will I buy them because they are over my budget. And the buildquality just felt cheap. It was just a thing I noticed.

Then just buy a pair of headphones online and hope for the best. Buy used and you'll have very little to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back