The truth about "Hospital Grade" power cords
Jun 1, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #31 of 41
Very interesting, but I have only heard of hospital grade duplex receptacles being recommended for audiophiles. Never power cords. My experience has been that many approaches can be used to good sounding power cord construction. i think some basic engineering principles are used to begin designing an audiophile power cord... but that ultimately trial and error with materials and techniques are used. I am sure Nordst and some of the long-lived top audiophile cable manufacturers have deep science driving their development, but that it is far more advanced than commonly used electrical principles. I wouldn’t waste time playing with hospitals grade stuff, to be sure one or more of the high end audio cable companies started there 40 years ago. Hospital grade is purpose built for hospitals not for audio. While there are probably some stuff that sounds good, my experience with purpose built power cords while counterintuitive has been astonishing good. However, you need excellent audio equipment for it to make a big difference... you need a very sensitive system (to the music going in and through), then Power cord choice makes a big and noticeable difference. If you are experimenting with common cords versus hospital, then maybe hospital grade is better. If you are looking to maximize your audio system, I would spend your time and money evaluating audio power cords.

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 41
So if I can get a hospital 18 gauge cord for under $10 vs a 14 gauge audio cord for $100.. (for my headphone amps) are both overkill or does one beat the other and why? I read the OP and to me didn't really answer which one was the better choice.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #33 of 41
So if I can get a hospital 18 gauge cord for under $10 vs a 14 gauge audio cord for $100.. (for my headphone amps) are both overkill or does one beat the other and why? I read the OP and to me didn't really answer which one was the better choice.
You basically have to listen in your system. There isn’t a “Perfect”. You would have to listen to them in your system.But typically a better cord improves the sound (as opposed to interconnects which can make it wors or different). I have spent 40 years building my system and at least a thousand hours comparing cords and interconnects. It depends, is always the answer.. Generally thicker gauge is better. I would always optimize interconnects before power cords. They produce a larger differences. But if the roast of your system is up to it a good power cord will result in a notable and important improvement.

Specifically to answer your question the highest probability is the $100 audio cord... but $100 audio cord is a really cheap one so I would not expect much research has been put into it. But thicker wire is better, I would put my money on the audio cord.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #34 of 41
You basically have to listen in your system. There isn’t a “Perfect”. You would have to listen to them in your system. I have spent 40 years building my system and at least a thousand hours comparing cords and interconnects. It depends, is always the answer.. Generally thicker gauge is better. I would always optimize interconnects before power cords. They produce a larger differences.

Specifically to answer your question the highest probability is the $100 audio cord... but $100 audio cord is a really cheap one so I would not expect much research has been put into it. But thicker wire is better, I would put my money on the audio cord.

hope this helps.
RCA Cables?

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #35 of 41
RCA Cables?

interconnects = RCA cables if that is what you are asking.

Also, embedded in any cord / cable discussion is your definition of value. There are two sides, the value of money, and the value of the change (also dependent on you hearing and experience in listening). If 90 audio Dollars is a lot of money to you, then it may not be worth it. My experience is that I would not invest less than $300 in a power cord. At this level someone has invested lots of time listening and choosing materials as well as listening to the completion In order to price it apprropriatel. I can recommend DH Labs as selling power cords of good value... It has been many years since I bought one, but I liked his silver power cords (they require at least 100 hours of break-in).

As far as interconnects. I have experienced jaw dropping improvements in the sound... the biggest in the digital interconnect and also a high difference in analog interconnects. I have many stories... but my audio guy sent me a pair of Nirvana RCA analog interconnects many years ago. I told him I was not in the market but would try them anyway. I had settled on $600 Harmonix mixed copper and silver interconnects. That was a lot of money for me. I tried the Nirvana an it was as if someone took away my preamp and replaced it with one that cost twice as much, I was astonished, and bought them immediately for $2000. Absolutely a great deal for the money... I have three pair on my system today.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #36 of 41
interconnects = RCA cables if that is what you are asking.

Also, embedded in any cord / cable discussion is your definition of value. There are two sides, the value of money, and the value of the change (also dependent on you hearing and experience in listening). If 90 audio Dollars is a lot of money to you, then it may not be worth it. My experience is that I would not invest less than $300 in a power cord. At this level someone has invested lots of time listening and choosing materials as well as listening to the completion In order to price it apprropriatel. I can recommend DH Labs as selling power cords of good value... It has been many years since I bought one, but I liked his silver power cords (they require breakin).

As far as interconnects. I have experienced jaw dropping improvements in the sound... the biggest in the digital interconnect and also a high difference in analog interconnects. I have many stories... but my audio guy sent me a pair of Nirvana RCA analog interconnects. I told him I was not in the market but would try them anyway. I had settled on $600 Harmonix mixed copper and silver interconnects. That was a lot of money for me. I tried the Nirvana an it was as if someone took away my preamp and replaced it with one that cost twice as much, I was astonished, and bought them immediately for $2000. Absolutely a great deal for the money... I have three pair on my system today.
The gear I have is not as high end as yours, pair of headphone amps (although one has the inards of high end build). I have an RCA connect that's really cheap build from DAC to amp, will try one of them Monolith RCA cables. They look robust in build and not that expensive.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #37 of 41
That is the place to start. You might try a on line company that will lend you a couple pair. Get something you can afford and then get some thing two or three times more expensive. Try them out for a while. Odds are you’ll end up getting the expensive ones. The more expensive the better they sound in general. Unless there’s something wrong with your system... like overly bright.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #38 of 41
Also used cables go for about half the price of new cables. I think it’s use cables.com

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #40 of 41
Backing up one more step. I realized I have a three other rules of thumb. 1) don’t buy a power cord for less than $300 and 2) don’t buy a set of interconnects for less than $250, and 3) don’t buy a interconnect costing more than 10 - 20% the value of the component it is connected to. Obviously only a guideline, but life is to short to,be spending enormous amounts of time evaluating $10 interconnects is a waste of my time. But if you add these together it says don’t buy special interconnects for components costing less than $1,500. As, I said just a guideline, an $800 Schiit amp may be worth it... When I get some time, I’ll try it. But my point is, your components must be sufficiently sensitive to be able to show the difference. The better the component the more susceptible to changes in interconnects, and then having a even smaller impact will be power cables, support rigidity, points and finally interconnect elevators. The last one here, your components better be over $5,000 or you got really good hearing and listening skills.

My goal has not been to enjoy comparing equipment, but to listen and enjoy the music with the best sound I can currently afford. So people love the evaluation process... nothing wrong with that.

Hope this is useful.

JD

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #41 of 41
Backing up one more step. I realized I have a three other rules of thumb. 1) don’t buy a power cord for less than $300 and 2) don’t buy a set of interconnects for less than $250, and 3) don’t buy a interconnect costing more than 10 - 20% the value of the component it is connected to. Obviously only a guideline, but life is to short to,be spending enormous amounts of time evaluating $10 interconnects is a waste of my time. But if you add these together it says don’t buy special interconnects for components costing less than $1,500. As, I said just a guideline, an $800 Schiit amp may be worth it... When I get some time, I’ll try it. But my point is, your components must be sufficiently sensitive to be able to show the difference. The better the component the more susceptible to changes in interconnects, and then having a even smaller impact will be power cables, support rigidity, points and finally interconnect elevators. The last one here, your components better be over $5,000 or you got really good hearing and listening skills.

Hope this is useful.

JD
That's an extended way of saying Don't Waste Your Money 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back