The truth about "Hospital Grade" power cords
Apr 8, 2006 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
When audiophile power cords are being advertised, the term "hospital grade plug" is often mentioned. Hospitals have lots of sensitive and big electronic equipment that can't afford to fail. So it makes sense to use good power cords in hospitals, right? But that got me thinking: what kind of power cords do they actually use in hospitals? After doing a lot of market search, these are facts I have gathered about North American hospital grade replacement power cords.

1. They come with NEMA 5-15P hospital grade plugs and IEC-60320-C13 connectors
2. They use three-conductor cables, mostly 8-12 feet long.
3. Most of them are made of 18 AWG wires, and a few with 16 AWG
4. They must meet UL and CSA approvals to qualify as hospital grade power cords
5. Usually the plug has a green dot on it to show it has been properly tested
6. These power cords have no shielding
7. Sometimes the plugs are transparent so the integrity of the connections inside can be directly examined
8. All the certified cords I found have pre-molded plugs. Big, round plugs from Marinco or Hubbell are generally sold by individually for custom assemblies.
9. Special "low-leakage" cords are available. These use special wires and plugs to ensure that the current leaking to the ground is minimal. These cords are used in certain equipment to reduce the risk of electric shock to the patient.

With these facts in mind, it is interesting to compare them with audiophile grade power cords. Audiophile power cords like to emphasize on thick wires (10-14 AWG), shielding (or twisted pair construction to enhance EMI/RF rejection), hospital grade plugs and pleasant aesthetics. Sometimes, audiophile power cords also emphasize on special materials (especially silver) or construction. Let me examine some of the major differences between hospital grade and audiophile power cords.

1. Wire Gauge.
Audiophile cord vendors like to emphasize that heavy wires lower DC resistance. 10 feet, 16 AWG wire has impedance of 0.040 ohms. Going to 12 AWG reduces impedance to 0.016 ohms. But house AC outlet generally has impedance of 0.2 ohms in the US. Other house appliances drawing currents will cause the AC impedance to go even higher, as well as lower the power factor, making it harder for audio amplifiers to draw large currents during peak demands. Hence, AC line impedance problem need to be addressed with power conditioners. Most hi-end UPS systems have active power factor correction. Some audio power conditioners also have power factor correction, from companies such as Furman or PS Audio.

2. Shielding
I could not find a single hospital grade power cord that has shielding. Many hi-end power cords have shielding. Since power cords carry a lot of power, it is unlikely RF and EMI will really affect the current flow in the power cord. The purpose of shielding is probably to prevent EMI from interfering with small-signal wires in the system. Anyway, I am not sure why hospital grade power cords don't have shielding, but in my experience shielded power cords work better in my current system. You could always add some ferrite clamps to any power cord to facilitate RF rejection though.

3. Certification
I feel that one of the most important things in cables is to have good contacts, both internally and externally. Good contact between the wires and connectors is really crucial and so is the contact between the cord and the equipment and outlet. Hospital grade power cords are actually tested for good connectivity and safety. Most audio power cords do not received any official approval from UL or CSA. It is not economical for power cords made in small quantities to obtain such certifications. In some countries it is illegal to use uncertified power cords. Here in the US there is no law against that, but there may be a problem with the insurance company if it causes a fire.

4. Wire Material
All hospital power cords I find use multi-stranded, standard-quality copper. In contrast, many hi-end power cords use high purity OFC, single crystal copper, silver-plated copper or silver. Audiophile cords may also be constructed with solid-core wire or hollow wire or even ribbon wires.

Lastly, when protection from dirty AC power is required in the hospital, surge protectors and power conditioners are used. Tripp-Lite basically dominates the power-treatment market for hospitals. Lower-end Tripp Lite offers are surge protection power bars. The midrange stuff is based on isolation transformers. The high end stuff is UPS system with AC-DC-AC conversion. For the audiophile market, there are many brands of boutique power conditioners. It is kind of worrying that most of audiophile power conditioners are not UL certified and no one knows if they could be potential fire hazards.

In summary, it is quite educational for me to see how hospitals deal with AC power. In hospitals, sensitive electronic equipment is used in critical situations where human lives are at stake. No voodoo and no snake-oil are allowed in that business for sure! I don't believe that hospital power cords and conditioners are the best solutions for all audio systems. But I think we can all take some lessons from how hospitals actually deal with AC problems, so we won't be swayed so easily by the dubious claims of all-too-many audiophile boutique products.

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 41
hey bruce...you never stop studying
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 41
Thanks for the time to post that.It is definetly a good read but does a non UL certified power conditioner mean a fire hazard is more likely?And does a UL certified one guarantee against fires?

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I thought the Green Dot was indicating it's use for independant ground.

-Ed

Nope, the green dot signifies hospital grade spec. To get it the device must meet UL hospital grade standard #498 and #544. Designed to meet maximum safety and reliability under severe abuse. The UL test requirement means that the plug at the end of the cable or the wall outlet has been tested and passed the following test:

Specific pull force retention
Terminal pin strength
Face impact and resistance to shock
Ground contact temperature
Ground contact resistance
Mold resistance

Pages 3-5 of the Leviton catalog has a good explanation of all the test required to get the green dot.

http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/hospital...e_Bulletin.pdf

A red triangle is the symbol used to indicate that the outlet has an isolated ground. Check out page 10 of this Hubbell catalog PDF for a good explanation of isolated ground.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/bryant.../section-g.pdf

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Thanks for the time to post that.It is definetly a good read but does a non UL certified power conditioner mean a fire hazard is more likely?And does a UL certified one guarantee against fires?

I think UL does independent testing to help ensure cetain safety requirements are met. UL provides many different types of certifications for many kinds of electronic devices. Non-UL listed power conditioners probably have not been independently tested for safety specs. Of course if it is designed and manufactured properly it would not be a hazard. The whole idea of getting UL to test the product is getting a second opinion about safety issues. Not having UL approval may not be such big a deal, since all those DIY power cords and conditioners are not UL listed. But it is defintely something to bear in mind if you are a "safety-first" guy. It is a capitalisitc world--use at your own risk.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 41
I think that one of the main design points for both hospital grade power cords and hospital grade outlets is that they be non-sparking in an environment where oxygen may be being used. This leads to a certain quality of connection being mandated, including, but not limited to, a clamping action inside the duplex outlet on the prongs of the cord and inside the modular plug at the equipment. In audio terms, good clamping mechanical contacts on the power cord lead to reduced micro-arking (a source of rf and noise) and less space for corrosion to form.

Quote:

It is a capitalisitc (sic) world--use at your own risk.

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I thought the Green Dot was indicating it's use for independant ground.

-Ed

Many manufacturers sell identical parts that come from the same production line without the green dot for slightly cheaper prices.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 41
Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like there's two different things we're talking about. One is the plug. The other is the cord.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 41
Nice write up! Very informative.
icon10.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 41
As usual Ferbose you have provided me with quite an education. First the ProSonus Central Station and now Hospital Grade Power cords. This has been an invaluable read. More importantly though, this gives me a reason to do some of my own "research" the next time I meet my wife at her office. My wife is a systems analyst at a large hospital in Sothern Cal. and naturally she deals with a host of equipment/system issues all day long. Now I have something to do beside look at magazines devoted to various diseases when I go visit her. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back