THE TOSS UP - First "real" Cans....
Sep 18, 2012 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

URHYNS

New Head-Fier
Hi people, I am new to the forum and audiophilia (is that a word?), I am however a long time music lover... I listen almost exclusively to Trance, mainly Psy and Prog, however, Minimal and dark bassy Techno have infiltrated my playlists... I'm a bedroom DJ, using Numark PHX Pro's for that chore, and they are up to the task there so I'll continue to use them. I want to retire them from my daily use however, I am looking for an upgrade here. Don't get me wrong, the Numarks, go hard for mixing, but not the best when on the train or just kickin back. I travel to and from work via train, and will make use of them at home as well and for my tastes, I have narrowed it down to two cans. AKG K-550 and Ultrasone Pro 900. I like the look of both, the AKG's more though, but it's the SQ I'm keen on, obviously. I like bass. Wouldn't call myself a bass-head though. I like it hard, punchy and deep but in no means do I want the mids and highs drowned out by it. An overall, crisp experience which really brings out a good quality electronic music track. Looking at the two I have narrowed it down to, the Pro 900's are quite a bit dearer, and pretty much need an amp to bring out their full potential, whereas the AKG's don't, true or false??? Landed, I'm looking at around $4y0 for the Pro900's to my door, cheapest I could find; and around $330 for the AKG's landed as well. I would love some feedback from peeps in the know, preferably from those that have used both, what do you think: A) Suits my style of music more? B) Is it worth the extra money the amp and what not?? Appreciate all responses, Regards, Elie.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 19
Heya,

The K550 would suit your needs, if you can get a good seal with it. If you can get a good seal, it's a good headphone for what you're after. If you cannot get a good seal, it's going to sound anemic and thin. I would avoid Ultrasone at this point since you don't want to bleed out mids, and  Ultrasones just are all quite bright and the mids recessed in general (in relation to the bass being bumped up quite a bit). If you do want to try Ultrasone, consider the PRO750 instead of the 900; the 750 has a less "V" approach, and you can get it in black/grey (not that silly blue).

Other headphones to consider:

Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003, NVX too, Lindy Premium; all the same). Think K550, but less expensive, and bigger deeper cups, a bit more bulky, and no issues with sealing. Great extension, clear, crisp, clean audio, not boomy, but not thin either.

Beyer DT770. Supreme comfort, great isolation, good extension, not overly bassy, but not thin either, good clean sound. Will want to amplify this one.

Shure SRH840. Good neutral headphone with great extension and good passive isolation.

Very best,

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 19
Firstly, thank you for your reply. Im trying to find somewhere I can test the k550 out. Such a beautiful design and fairly priced if all the reviews are correct regarding SQ (if fitted correctly).
The Ultrasones are also drawing me because they're well known to have very powerful but clean bass. For my music, rolling, deep punchy sub bass and mid bass lines, they sound the go to set as well. So I'm looking for a set to try before I buy too.

Secondly, that's a nice set of pipes you have displayed there sir.
I myself am a Cigar lover but have enjoyed a few puffs of my uncles old pipe.

Elie

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 19
Can anyone tell me if I amp the K550's, will this allow me to drive the bass a little harder? Looking at Fiio L11 amp. Need some help between these two cans guys... I like the look of both. Elie

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if I amp the K550's, will this allow me to drive the bass a little harder? Looking at Fiio L11 amp. Need some help between these two cans guys... I like the look of both. Elie

Heya,

No. The headphone was made efficient. If you add an amplifier to it, it will get louder in general, but not really "bassier." However, if you add a Fiio product like the E11, it has a bass enhancement EQ that works very well, and you can use that to add serious bass to any headphone, regardless of amplifying it.

Very best,

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 19
Mal, Thank you very much.

My next gripe is whether to wait for the K551... I like the idea of a shorter cable and inline control/mic, but I'm sure their price will be well higher than the current k550's...

I think I might bite the bullet and give them a go. I haven't got a large head. Apparently, you can actually adjust the fit, as explained by CantScareMe's review: seen here http://www.head-fi.org/t/588230/akg-k550-vs-some-others-denon-d2000-akg-k271-ultrasone-edition-8-shure-940-shure-840-beyer-dt770 

"Out of all of these headphones, the k550 is very unique in one aspect. The clamp is adjustable. Yes, I'll say that again. Without any mods at all, the completely new out of the box akg k550 allows, by design, for us to adjust the clamping force the headphone exerts on our heads.

How and why?
This is simple. You see the actual earcups can be moved in both the up/down and right/left directions (read below) BUT each 'change' you make to the inclination of the pads require application of actual force- using your hands. This is especially true for the up/down movement. Unlike other headphones where the cups are attached to a loose swivel hinges, these won't change shape once on your head as the force required to make this change, to make the earcups move, is far greater than the outward (normal) force that your head can provide- so there is no movement.
All this is largely independant of how you use the headphones left and right size meter (how big your head is!). 3 clicks on either side or 5, you can still change the clamp of the headphone by moving the earcups."

Not 100% sure how to do it, but I guess I'll take his word for it and I'll figure it out. 

Elie

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 19
I really need some direction here.... I've been doing a LOT of reading on both cans.... I'm at a point where I'm so close to pulling the trigger on either one. The Pro 900s, every review screams out at me, "Buy Me, Buy MEEEE!!!!!" due to how hard the bass drives, my love of PsyTrance will be satisfied here. They seem huge and bulky, I will probably look like an idiot on the train (where I will mostly be using them. And then there is the refinement of the AKG with their sexualness and overall quality of sound.... BUT then the fit issues come in to play and AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I'm so confused... I can't get to any shops to give them a go, I will have to "take a punt" and buy one. To my untrained ears, I probably would love eith to be fair. But I want to KNOW that I am experiencing which ever one I choose to its intended potential. I really need some direction here....

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 19
 I like bass. Wouldn't call myself a bass-head though. I like it hard, punchy and deep but in no means do I want the mids and highs drowned out by it. 

I'm  starting to sound like a broken record lately but.............. SRH840

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 19
I haven't heard the K550s but out of the AKGs I've tried (I loved all of them), none of them really seemed to be right for modern dancey electronica. Old Kraftwerk type stuff, yes, but modern thumping bass tracks? That's really not their niche.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 19
Are the Pro 900's immense?
I want to wear them every day to work, around a 45 minute commute. Are they really too big? Will they look silly on me? I got a shaved head as well so that accentuates their size as well.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Are the Pro 900's immense?
I want to wear them every day to work, around a 45 minute commute. Are they really too big? Will they look silly on me? I got a shaved head as well so that accentuates their size as well.

Heya,

They're big, but they're some of the most attractive looking headphones out there in my opinion. So sleek. So classy. I don't think they will look silly.

Here's an example of how they look on a real head:

Very best,

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 19
Once again mate, thanks! I need to pull the pin and decide now... What will my PsyTrance-Minimal head thank me for... Been looking at the Beyer DT770 as well. You recommended them earlier. Just wondering how hard they "slam" in terms of bass kicking in. I know the Pro 900's will win here, but if it's not by much, and the Beyers to everything else better, that might be the tipping point for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back