The top 3 portables on your 'wish list' ?
Nov 11, 2009 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
If even a tenth of the posting activity in this forum translates into a portable amp sale for RSA/iBasso/ALO etc, amp makers will be busier that the elves in the leadup to Xmas. It seems that many have bought a new amp in the last 6 weeks or so : apologies if I've overestimated the numbers. While I still want to hold out for the Amphora, being able to hook the iPod up to one of the potables has obvious appeal. Unfortunately, the 'right' amp seems more elusive than ever with so many choices.

These are the amps which, fwir, would form my shortlist:

1. ALO Rx (out of stock atm, but reportedly back soon) - $345
2. iBasso D4 - $219
3. RSA Mustang - $375

I'm interested in hearing what other Head-Fiers 'Top 3' are - I know that many of you already have the amp of your dreams, and that's great : for those still making a decision, I suspect that its not so cleancut.

On any given day, I could completely reverse this list, but even getting it down to this point is a bit of an ordeal. Fortunately, my wallet has just informed me that I have until Jan/Feb next year to make a decision. Plenty of time for Skylab and HPA to revise their rankings and my shortlist to change again !
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 18
1. Pico slim- the unknown mysterious factor X for this little kitty. Small (guaranteed), great sound (allegedly) and the added 'pico' kudos factor = must have portable audio gizmo.
2. ALO Rx- just reading the impressions thread this thing is a killer, it just makes me wish i had the inclination to invest in a pair of JH13's- once an ER4P fanboy always and ER4P fanboy (why do with how ever many drivers an iem can more than adequately achieve with 1???). Sidenote- has anyone listened to the ER4's driven by the Rx yet?
3. RSA Tomahawk- sound, drive and the ultimate portability factor of 2x AAA's lasting months even with heavy usage (i am very sorely tempted to go placing a 'for trade' advert to get a hold of one of these badboys for myself again).
3. Equally placed for 3rd spot, the iBasso T3- fantastic sound from a box the size of a box of matches. Good battery life to, just not quite matching the tomahawk for longevity, but more than matching it for sound to size ratio.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 18
1. iBasso D4
2. OEM project, Fi-Q
3. vCap Dock

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 18
1. iBasso D2
2. Self-built CMoy or Mini3
3. Fiio e7

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 18
1.Lisa 3
2.Pico Slim
3. iBasso D4

Really I am more than content with my pico.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 18
1. iBasso D10
2. HeadAmp Pico Slim
3. ALO Rx

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 18
The guy who owns iBasso (Ken ?) must be doing handstands. Or at least he would be if he wasn't so busy pushing amps into boxes for shipping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting to see different choices in this thread - thanks for your feedback.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 18
As Shadow and RX was on the list...
I have ordered the 2.
I have eceipted the Shadow 2 days ago and wait for the RX ( 'll arrive in next days).
For the instance shadow is my best portable amp, perfect to drive UM3 and the little but great PX 100.
( i have soon owned : Predator-P 51-Hornet )
RX 'll integrate my Imod source (with Pvcaps) to obtain a transportable setup.
I'll use it to remplace my loved Hornet (if it's better) to drive GS 1000.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 18
iBasso D4, Pico, and RSA Tomahawk (D2 was on the list, but I got it and I'm very happy with it so far)

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 18
Ordered an amp from iBasso, came back to review my wishlist and realized that the T3 was never on my list. That's the beauty of Alzheimers, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back