The Tool Thread
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #31 of 36
IMO they hit their peak when they recorded Third Eye - I have not heard a better or more interesting track from them since. "Better", subjectively speaking, obviously.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO they hit their peak when they recorded Third Eye - I have not heard a better or more interesting track from them since. "Better", subjectively speaking, obviously.

Lateralus? The Patient?

Still, Third Eye is amazing.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tool is like ice cream. Their good stuff is GREAT and the ok stuff is still good. I have yet to hear a Tool song I didn't like. Perfect Circle the same way.

Heard Emotive? Ugh I hated that "album"... The rest though is pretty damn good.

I wanted to chime in because I seem to remember it used to be that these discussions went "Lateralus is pretty good, but omg Anemia!!!111one" or something like that
280smile.gif

That said I luv me some Lateralus!!11oneone

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #35 of 36
OGT here (summer of '92 when they opened for Rollins Band).

I agree with the majority of comments here that seem to rate Lateralus as their best and overall 10,000 Days as their worst. I really hate 10,000 Days, it's a wanky concept album that really falls apart and takes itself even more seriously than other Tool albums.

Lateralus though is a great listen, one of the very few long concept records that really fuses well together and sounds good from beginning to end.

I can understand how newer listeners might not be able to catch Opiate and Undertow, both are products of a much angrier, younger band still feeling out their sound. Though Undertow is still a very complete expression of the band, I can see how some might compare it to the later more sprawling sound of AEnima and Lateralus and think it too bare bones or raw.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OGT here (summer of '92 when they opened for Rollins Band).

I agree with the majority of comments here that seem to rate Lateralus as their best and overall 10,000 Days as their worst. I really hate 10,000 Days, it's a wanky concept album that really falls apart and takes itself even more seriously than other Tool albums.

Lateralus though is a great listen, one of the very few long concept records that really fuses well together and sounds good from beginning to end.

I can understand how newer listeners might not be able to catch Opiate and Undertow, both are products of a much angrier, younger band still feeling out their sound. Though Undertow is still a very complete expression of the band, I can see how some might compare it to the later more sprawling sound of AEnima and Lateralus and think it too bare bones or raw.

As much as I like 10,000 Days, the mastering is **** house. Which is a real shame, because AEnima and Lateralus sound brilliant.

I would love it if Tool released some DVD-A's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back