The Tomahawk...an ultra-portable amplifier for IEMs
Dec 22, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #601 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does different = better?
or, does different = different, but similar?
confused.gif

I think he meant different, but similar. They both sound great, its just the Toma has a wider soundstage and other tweaks FOR IEMs.... you know like it says on it.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #602 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does different = better?
or, does different = different, but similar?
confused.gif

I didn't mean "different" in a negative way at all. Quite the contrary, for me it's a good thing that each have their own personality, while having in common a great sound signature typical to RSA's line of amps.
Some people, like myself to a certain extent, might have thought that what you'd get is a miniaturized version of the Hornet - which in itself would have been great enough! My recommendation for those who would hesitate is: go for it, even if you already have a Hornet, it's money well spent... (did I say that? $$ouch) .

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #603 of 931
Ray,

I've been using my Tomahawk preliminarily and I came across a concern. Using my pair of Etymotic ER-4S with a Nano 2nd Generation 4GB and you Tomahawk on "Low" gain, the volume is way too low. There is only a couple albums where it is loud enough for an enjoyable listening condition below the 2 O'clock position. Often for albums I have to switch it to "High" gain because the volume is too low.

I was just wondering if this is fixed with Burn-in? If this is normal? I know you used this combination in testing so I'm sure you have some experience with the issue.

Also does it make much of a difference to use IEMs with the gain switch to "High". I tried to do comparisons but its hard to tell due to the volume variance of the two settings. Theoretically should it make much of a difference? Also could it be the batteries? I'm using High-quality Energizer e^2 Lithium batteries.

But on a better note, I'm abosultely flabbergasted at the quality of this build and the amplifier in general. I mean its so minuscule. I had NO IDEA. Plus my father who machines parts for robots said that it was really put together VERY nicely. He was so interested in the how small and how nicely made it was he barely gave me anytime to listen to it! Thats what I get for having it delivered while on vacation. But when I did listen with my HF-1s, IT WAS OUTSTANDING. Incredible from an Amp not even burned in. And thank you for making it my Christmas gift since it got here before Xmas. Really superb service. Thank you kind sir!

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #604 of 931
Chef, I don't know much about those Ety's, or how loud you listen, but I do know my TH in low gain mode at 12:00 on the volume knob is driving my 250 ohm DT880's to levels as loud as I dare listen (using the 2nd gen Nano as the source). I know it's a silly question, but you are using the dock connector's line out, not the headphone out, yes?

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #605 of 931
Tomahawk in the house. Number 049 arrived today. [size=xx-small]Very Small Amp for sure[/size]. Makes my 5.5g ipod look like a full size CDP. I love it so far. The construction quality is Class A. Ray is the man in my opinion. Quality products, Great Sound, and service that is spectacular. I will say that so far it sounds great with my 5.5g and the UE-5c's. Not going to post an in depth sound review, becuase there are many more qualified people on here that will be posting that info shortly.
biggrin.gif

Thanks goes out to, Ray "St. Nick" Samuels.

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #606 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray,

I've been using my Tomahawk preliminarily and I came across a concern. Using my pair of Etymotic ER-4S with a Nano 2nd Generation 4GB and you Tomahawk on "Low" gain, the volume is way too low. There is only a couple albums where it is loud enough for an enjoyable listening condition below the 2 O'clock position. Often for albums I have to switch it to "High" gain because the volume is too low.

Is it possible that the Nano's volume limiting is kicking in?

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #607 of 931
WOOOOOO!!! GOT MINE TODAY!!!

Just unboxed it and connected it to my Nano with my ALO jumbo cryo dock and e500s. I was ready to test the low end limits of this baby. I clicked on Erykah Badu's Worldwide Underground and set the Nano's eq to R&B on a whim fully expecting to hear that nasty distortion and ooooooooooo.......rich detailed bass to die for!!! I am SO thrilled!!! I can't believe it can clean up THAT much bass!!**
very_evil_smiley.gif
I am in heaven.
etysmile.gif

[size=medium]THANK YOU RAY YOU ARE THE BEST!![/size]

**okay, so there's still a wee bit of distortion left on that silly Nano eq but you get the idea...the Tomahawk can handle A LOT of bass.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #608 of 931
I don't know how to read the number on my case. It says TO15. Does that mean #15? That's gotta be it.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #609 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chef, I don't know much about those Ety's, or how loud you listen, but I do know my TH in low gain mode at 12:00 on the volume knob is driving my 250 ohm DT880's to levels as loud as I dare listen (using the 2nd gen Nano as the source). I know it's a silly question, but you are using the dock connector's line out, not the headphone out, yes?

Yes line out from Qables.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible that the Nano's volume limiting is kicking in?

There is no volume limit on my Nano. And I'm using a line-out. I'm thinking it might be the batteries possibly. Can that have an effect on volume?

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #610 of 931
Quote:

Ray,

I was just wondering if this is fixed with Burn-in? If this is normal? I know you used this combination in testing so I'm sure you have some experience with the issue.

Also does it make much of a difference to use IEMs with the gain switch to "High". I tried to do comparisons but its hard to tell due to the volume variance of the two settings. Theoretically should it make much of a difference? Also could it be the batteries? I'm using High-quality Energizer e^2 Lithium batteries.

But on a better note, I'm abosultely flabbergasted at the quality of this build and the amplifier in general. I mean its so minuscule. I had NO IDEA. Plus my father who machines parts for robots said that it was really put together VERY nicely. He was so interested in the how small and how nicely made it was he barely gave me anytime to listen to it! Thats what I get for having it delivered while on vacation. But when I did listen with my HF-1s, IT WAS OUTSTANDING. Incredible from an Amp not even burned in. And thank you for making it my Christmas gift since it got here before Xmas. Really superb service. Thank you kind sir!

Something funky must be happening there. Knowing Rays products, typically they will drive most anything to ear bleeding levels.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #611 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't mean "different" in a negative way at all. Quite the contrary, for me it's a good thing that each have their own personality, while having in common a great sound signature typical to RSA's line of amps.
Some people, like myself to a certain extent, might have thought that what you'd get is a miniaturized version of the Hornet - which in itself would have been great enough! My recommendation for those who would hesitate is: go for it, even if you already have a Hornet, it's money well spent... (did I say that? $$ouch) .

Nope, I wasn't implying a negative way, either -- just gathering opinions -- now, I gotta start planning on getting both amps, maybe, sorta....
confused.gif
evil_smiley.gif
280smile.gif

Hmmm...a Hornet, just because,, and a Tomahawk, just because it's such a little engineering GEM!

Now, where did I put that piggybank....

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #613 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something funky must be happening there. Knowing Rays products, typically they will drive most anything to ear bleeding levels.

I know I'm quite confused.

I really think there is something wrong. Just wondering what part of what I did it is.

Edit: Did some research. It seems these Special batteries my father gave me are really unique. They are lithium instead of alkaline. They are said to last forever. Maybe its the batteries? I'm going to hunt for some batteries. Duracell copper tops. Maybe I'm best just going and buying them.

Edit 2: Dropped in some Alkaline Energizers.... not much difference.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #615 of 931
Quote:

I know I'm quite confused.

I really think there is something wrong. Just wondering what part of what I did it is.

Edit: Did some research. It seems these Special batteries my father gave me are really unique. They are lithium instead of alkaline. They are said to last forever. Maybe its the batteries? I'm going to hunt for some batteries. Duracell copper tops. Maybe I'm best just going and buying them.

Edit 2: Dropped in some Alkaline Energizers.... not much difference.

This my be a stupid suggestion, but are the batteries installed the correct way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back