The Tomahawk...an ultra-portable amplifier for IEMs
Dec 9, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #317 of 931
Add me to the list as well please, if still possible..
etysmile.gif

black or white.. it matters not.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #318 of 931
WIth the most recent Product of the year award given to the Hornet in TAS Jan 2007 ed, (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/current.html)

I am having trouble deciding whether to get the Hornet or the Tomahawk. I am not sure if at normal listening levels the Tomahawk could drive my AKG 701 K phones to their best potential, since I use these at home and the Shure E5C while on the go. Both the Hornet and Tomahawk are adequately portable for my needs and have gain switches. So if one were to choose, aside from the cost factor, which is the all around better compromise for both phones????

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #319 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WIth the most recent Product of the year award given to the Hornet in TAS Jan 2007 ed, (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/current.html)

I am having trouble deciding whether to get the Hornet or the Tomahawk. I am not sure if at normal listening levels the Tomahawk could drive my AKG 701 K phones to their best potential, since I use these at home and the Shure E5C while on the go. Both the Hornet and Tomahawk are adequately portable for my needs and have gain switches. So if one were to choose, aside from the cost factor, which is the all around better compromise for both phones????

If you can afford it, go with the Hornet. You will get much better sound from those AKG's, based on what Ray has said.

I am VERY fired up about the Tomahawk, but let's keep in mind what it is - an amp that will drive IEM's well for a long time on a set of batteries. But the Hornet is just going to plain sound better with anything like the K701's, there is almost no doubt about that. I will keep my Hornet when the Tomahawk comes, and use the TH when I intend to only have my E500's on a trip. Otherwise, it's the Hornet for portable use.

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #323 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well im hoping for this TH first, and after x-mas dies down I'll be getting a hornet.

wish they had this stuff when i was in my early teens.. jipped tbh.

But your ears will thank you for the delay!

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #326 of 931
Ray please add me on your list. I would love to be on it since this will be my first amp ever. I want the Hornet. But could someone explain more clearly to me the difference between the Tomahawk and the Hornet?

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #327 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray please add me on your list. I would love to be on it since this will be my first amp ever. I want the Hornet. But could someone explain more clearly to me the difference between the Tomahawk and the Hornet?

Hornet has a 3 gain switch and able to drive higher impedance headphones as well as lower impedance headphones/IEMs (gain of 2 for the lowest setting). It also has a battery charger. The battery lasts ~14 hours on a single charge.

The Tomahawk is even smaller than the Hornet. It does not have a battery charger, but a single set of batteries lasts a ridiculously long time (I think Ray mentioned something like 6 weeks @ 10 hours a day? Don't quote me...I'm just too lazy to go back and check). It has a 2 gain switch and its meant more for IEM impedance headphones (gain of 1 for the lowest setting) and lower impedance regular headphones.

According to people that have sampled both, they said the sound was very similiar with the Hornet being a bit more punchy than the Tomahawk. Course, then there is the price difference.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #329 of 931
Oh yea... additionally I would like a white one if that is possible. Oh yea I'm going on a flight on the Dec. 18th. Is there a way that I can get the amp (white prefered if possible to match my ipod) shipped to my house before the date so I can enjoy them on my 15 hour flight. Thanks a lot Ray, I'm willing to pay for express shipment or something.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #330 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to people that have sampled both, they said the sound was very similiar with the Hornet being a bit more punchy than the Tomahawk. Course, then there is the price difference.

hmm... the m hornet is already laid back. i wonder if ray's trying to create the soundstage that's really lacking with IEM's??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back