The Tomahawk...an ultra-portable amplifier for IEMs
Feb 1, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #856 of 931
How long does it normally take Ray to send you a payment confirmation of some sort? I have not had any news or info from him, and I paid last Saturday...

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #857 of 931
Finally got the delivery after paying the tax as per other buyers in this forum. I slipped in the batteries following the nice little diagram on the back.
I have a pair of UM2's which are very smooth and one of the few IEMs with some decent bass response....which is further improved with the Comply foam buds. I have quite a mix of music types, both mp3 (160 -320) and apple lossless - so I was keen to hear how this amp worked across the spectrum.
I bought myself a couple of the Ritec pod connectors thinking I would solder up a cable with a Neutrik 3.5 jack - I have some nice quality Audio Note silver solder and fancy audio cable (Nordost QuatroFil).
I got a blob of solder across several of the small pins dam tricky if you don't have a fine tip on your solder iron. So instead I got a line out connector that had a 3.5jack socket built-in and made myself a jack to jack instead.

Lossless file playback was immediately superb - suddendly there was a proper soundstage and hugely improved dynamics, huge bass where recorded on several rap tracks 808's being most impressive!! and a nice air to the treble probably the cable has much to do with this ( I use it throughout my regular hifi) Moving to mp3s the 320 were pretty good slightly thinner and smaller than lossless sound even down to 192 variable the sound was very listenable.

So Ray congrats on making a fine little amp which will only improve as it gets run in. I just need some ideas from you all as to the best way to keep the amp and ipod photo (60Gb) of mine nicely together - anyone seen suitable bags around (Farnell the electronics supplier seem to have a nice mini duffle bag that might just be big enough). Perhaps I will have to get a workshop to make up something in acrylic or even have a go at stitching together some leather!! All suggestions welcomed.

I used a straight 3.5 jack...but this causes strain on the cable so I might make another using angle jacks
Graham

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #858 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long does it normally take Ray to send you a payment confirmation of some sort? I have not had any news or info from him, and I paid last Saturday...

From experience I received NO word of payment comfirmation OR tracking #. But, from ordering time to receiving the package took a total of 2 days! Where do you live, btw? Also, give Ray a call if you're concerned... he's very pleasant to deal with!

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #859 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From experience I received NO word of payment comfirmation OR tracking #. But, from ordering time to receiving the package took a total of 2 days! Where do you live, btw? Also, give Ray a call if you're concerned... he's very pleasant to deal with!

I had the same exact experience. I did get a Payment confirmation from Paypal, but never got one from RSA. The amp just showed up at my door a couple of days later - very fast shipping.

If it is any help, I Emailed Ray prior to placing an order asking how long it generally takes for them to ship a Tomahawk, and he replied saying that they ship the next day after the order is placed. If you are in the USA, it will get there fast.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #860 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using mine for 3 weeks and suddenly stopped. The reason is I think my silver lineout from ALO broke causing my right drivers to make 30% volume of it's normal sound. I'm going to send the lineout back to him in a few days since I'm pretty sure it is the reason of this. Is it possible for the Tomahawk to be the reason of this also?

You could try another cable and/or source to see if the Tomahawk is the cause of this, your cable, or your headphone. In fact, you should try different things to isolate the cause of your problem before you send your ALO dock back. It sucks to send a perfectly working thing back since you ended up wasting your time and shipping cost for nothing.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #861 of 931
Dear friends...
We are nearing that time when the color Tomahawks will be available in four more colors.
Red chassis with red volume knob.
Blue chassis with blue volume knob
Green chassis with green volume knob
Gold chassis with gold volume knob.
Very possible they will be available within 2 weeks.
I will let you know once they are here.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #862 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear friends...
We are nearing that time when the color Tomahawks will be available in four more colors.
Red chassis with red volume knob.
Blue chassis with blue volume knob
Green chassis with green volume knob
Gold chassis with gold volume knob.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

You my friend are evil!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #865 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am telling myself that the "novelty" of red or gold would quickly wear off and I should be happy with black

Black is beautiful!
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #868 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear friends...

Cheers.
Ray Samuels

our we there yet?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back