The time has come...
Apr 29, 2005 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hardbop

100+ Head-Fier
Do I keep my Ety ER-4Ps or exchange them? I really enjoy these canalphones, they sound great and they are even comfortable in my ears. I've listened to them 8+ hours almost every day for the past month, although the past couple days I've used to acquaint myself to my newly repaired SR-60's that Grado generously upgraded to SR-80's.

I want to listen to more headphones, but I don't want to give up my Ety's. I suppose I could tighten my belt and restrict myself to PB&J for the next couple months, but it would be more affordable if I didn't like these canalphones.

There are several other headphones calling to me and even an amp or two. And I still haven't heard these canalphones with an amp yet either.

I have to send them back this weekend or I'm stuck with them...

Apr 29, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Keep them. It's likely you'll find other headphones that sound different, but far less likely you'll find any that sound better.

Apr 29, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 6
I think I am going to hold onto these. The ER-4P seems like it will be able to do things other cans won't, and vice versa. Once I upgrade again, I think I'll still have a place for the canalphones, especially in a portable rig.

I knew this would happen, though. I wanted to try out some headphones and amps, but I wouldn't be able to exchange the gear once I got my hands on it.

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Don't get rid of something you really like just to hear something different that you may not like. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Ety Er4's are "classics" around here in the same sense as Grados and Senns... usually this happens for a good reason (i.e. they're really good cans), so if you like them I'd say hang on to a good thing... good choice (hard on the wallet maybe, but nobody's forcing you to try other headphones
biggrin.gif
).

Apr 29, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 6
It's hard to outdo the ER-4P at the price they can be had nowadays ($200). Other canalphones may be slightly better (UM2, SR-001), but they're not better enough to justify the price difference unless said price difference is negligible for your budget. Ok, maybe not so much with the 001, but it has practicality issues, and the ER-4P doesn't.

I didn't like the treble coloration that the ER-4P had, otherwise they're very capable, and even more so with an amp and the P/S adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back