The time has come! [Source advice]
Nov 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Landis

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've decided that I will be upgrading my audio set up as a Christmas gift to myself.

I made a similar thread in the amp forum with the current train of thought ending in an HiFiMan HE-5 ortho, but the amp is current up in the air as well as the source.

My budget for the DAC is about ~$500-600 USD (new or used) and I have been currently leaning towards an MHDT Havana (used) although that puts me right to the limit of my budget even pre-owned. Preferably, I would like a company located in North America as I do plan on keeping this DAC for a while and I'd like to have a piece of mind that sending it for repairs won't destroy future Landis' bank accounts in shipping and customs.

My music tastes are quite varied (jazz, blues, rock, metal, mali, classical, Irish folk), but I do appreciate details and a very smooth and flowing presentation; for example, my current set up is very smooth and mellow on the ears, especially with my K601, but details tend to lack and I'm pretty much going for the approach of my current set up sound, but on crack.

If you have some advice on an amp that works well with the DAC you're recommending, please make mention of it in my amp thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tim...advice-454324/

Thanks,

Landis

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 5
If you're looking to purchase used and local, Canuck Audio Mart's classifieds section might be a good place to look. There's also a forum there.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 5
CAM can be a good source, but I find there isn't a large interest in headphone amps and Dac's. Time to time some things do pop up.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 5
How about the Audiosector USB DAC? Around 400 without chasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back