The TFZ Balance 2M
Nov 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Leftbehind

100+ Head-Fier
Packaging:
The box is actually quite large, mostly due to the big leather case it comes with. There is also a felt pouch that most people will probably end up using. If you want to travel though and bring most of your accessories with you (including a small amplifier) the big case is really handy. I’ve managed to fit in my Fiio Q1, some extra tips and adapters, and a usb cable. The case feels solid and looks premium and is probably the best looking case I’ve seen come with an IEM, although it’s not waterproof.
There are two sets of single flange tips in 4 sizes, 1 large double flange, and 1 medium foam tips. I tried them all out and go into the differences in sound below. There’s also a shirt clip and ear guides. The ear guides may be necessary for some, as the memory part of the stock cable doesn’t hold that well. I didn’t need the ear guides.
Two important notes:
I don’t have any really neutral IEMs. My reference for what is neutral is a STAX Lambda Pro.
This was a review copy provided by TFZ.
Build
Im going to start with the cable because it was my favorite. It has a cool, rope like texture, and is just the right length. It doesn’t tangle, and it’s extremely light. The right angle is a bit bulky for my liking. It happens to be the same size and oval shape as the connector on my phone case, but I could see this not fitting most phone cases because it has such a wide oval shape. The covering of the angled connector has the TFZ logo in red on the black cable. You can actually see through the big L connect and see that there is a normal sized connect under it. They didn’t need to make it any bigger, really.
The build of the actual earphone is hit and miss. They’re quite large and heavy. This makes them feel really good quality. So they’re large, they’re heavy, and they’re covered in gold paint. I don’t like how the gold looks. It’s shiny, and it chips easily. Using paint has caused problems with a lot of IEMs and it’s probably the only real flaw I can find with the build. Aside from the look, it’s not going to hold up.
TFZ also included their upgrade cable. This thing is awesome. It’s light, pliable, doesn’t tangle, has a heavy duty right angle connector and the memory wire comes basically preset to the perfect angle. This thing retails for $50 and I recommend it to anyone who needs a cable and doesn’t mind a giant connection.
Sound:

The Balance 2M is part of a new reference line-up intended to have a flat FR. I think at some point it’s important that they recognized their previous IEMs were heavily V shaped. Something I’ve seen from many over seas IEM manufacturers is they all claim their IEM is either ‘big bass’ or ‘reference’ regardless of the actual sound. I’m going to first outline the differences between the tips, then go into the sound signature overall with the tips that I think gave it the most ‘balanced’.

Double Flange: You only get one set of double flange tips, and they’re likely a large. These fit really well for me and were really quick and easy to put in and out. Their deeper insertion made it so I couldn’t feel the heavy IEM at all, and regardless of really how I sat the cable, they fit great. These sounded really similar to the narrow bore single flange that I’ll mention later, with the exception of the treble, which had some really hot spots. I’m not normally susceptible to lots of treble, and I don’t think I’ve ever had to stop listening to a headphone or earphone due to treble spikes, but after twenty minutes with these tips I couldn’t stand most songs I previously really enjoyed and was ready to stop listening, but first I had to try the other tips.
Foam:  Again, you get one size, and they happen to fit me. These elevated the bass and lower mids and smoothed out the treble. The treble was almost perfect at this point, but the bass was elevated far above neutral. It wasn’t really my thing, it was a dark leaning IEM and created what I can only imagine as downward slope for the frequency response. Fit and comfort were great, and bassheads may like these, but I sure didn’t.
Wide boar single flange: Flimsy and didn’t fit right, wasn’t a fan, didn’t listen too much
Narrow boar single flange: This IEM was clearly tuned for these tips, and I will describe the sound below as heard using these.
Bass: Unlike with the foam tips, which had far too much bass, and unlike many other Chinese IEMs I’ve heard, the TFZ Balance M2 have bass that extends low and isn’t overpowering. It’s a refreshing change from something like the A73, which has bass that also extends low, but is clearly elevated far above neutral and creates a V shaped signature. The subbass is probably 1 or 2 dB south of neutral, while the bass into the mids remain quite neutral.
The bass on this is better in terms of texture, detail, and is more balanced when compared to Gr07, Noble 3, and Fidue A73.
Mids : They exist. There is no mid-bass hump, and they aren’t the best I’ve ever heard, but there isn’t really anything wrong with them.
Highs: Detailed. Equally detailed to GR07. It’s smooth, and I could listen to this for a very long period of time without being fatigued. There’s no sparkle or pop to the treble that I’ve heard in many V shaped IEMs that give you that sense of detail, but when compared to those IEMs , the detail is still there in these without an artificial sparkle often found.
Soundstage:  Tall, wide, but not as deep as I’d like. It’s probably exactly what you’d expect from a $200 IEM. The separation is there, and the instruments are clear and easy to pick out detail between different instruments, however the distance between these instruments isn’t as great as I’d like. I think the best example are the drums in Gibralter, by Beirut. The beginning of this song on some headphones and earphones provides a huge sense of distance and space between every note. Here, although there is clearly distance and separation, and it actually sounds quite crisp, the sense of space isn’t up to par with some higher end headphones and IEMs.

Quick and dirty comparisons
Gr07: The TFZ is more comfortable, but heavier and the paint chips. The bass goes deeper. They’re both pretty flat but the GR07 has more peaks in the treble. I’d say the GR07 is similar to the TFZ with the double flange tips
A73:  I consider this IEM to be a really solid budget performer. The TFZ has a way better cable, that’s actually removable, and is more comfortable.
They’re about equal in terms of detail but the A73 is very clearly V shaped. Soundstage might be a bit deeper in A73 than in the TFZ.  Separation, though equal, had a bit more distance in A73.
For long periods of listening, and for a wider variety of genres, and for increased comfort and a removable cable, the nod goes to the TFZ

GR07:  I didn’t like shape or build of the GR07. Housing is poor, cables aren’t removable, and I could never find the proper direction with the adjustable nozzle. Bass is better in TFZ, without straying from a neutral profile. The GR07 is unique in that it has a large soundstage and a really nice tonal signature. I think it competes with much more expensive IEMs for these two reasons, and even though I rarely listen to it due to comfort, it’s still a great IEM.

Noble 3:  This thing was a disappointment. It had a good build and was comfortable, but came with a poor selection of tips I actually wanted to use, and didn’t do anything really well. Poor soundstage, mediocre bass, and some decent detail up top. The TFZ is better at half the cost.

AKG N40: I heard this for a couple hours last week.  I don’t have it right here, but from what I remember this is the closest match to the TFZ. The TFZ lacked a little sparkle found in the N40, and I’m not sure that why the N40 had more detail. The N40 had better build, and is smaller. It also is better looking. I’m a huge fan of this IEM.

FAD 1: The FAD is smaller, pretty comfortable, and also comes with a really solid cable. The FAD has an even more intimate soundstage, less extension in the highs, but with similar detail. The fad had boosted mids and sucked out bass that lacked detail and wasn’t very exciting.  The TFZ beats it in almost every category related to sound.
Conclusion: There some really great IEMs coming out in the $200 range, and this TFZ is no exception. If you’re looking for a detailed IEM that’s flat, exceedingly picky about tips and seems durable and well made and you don’t mind paint chips, the weight, or an intimate soundstage, this is a solid IEM. Competition is fierce at this price range and TFZ has a real competitor. I wouldn’t call this fun, hyper analytical, a basshead IEM, or even a giant killer, but it is a great value for those who aren’t looking for a V shaped or bassheavy earphone.  
I often look at my headphone purchases in terms of value, and I've had some poor value headphones and some really good value ones. This is up there as something that comes as a very good value. Lots of accessories, a great presentation, I really enjoy the sound signature, and the level of detail is fantastic. My only hope for the 4m and 6M is a little more seperation and a better paint job.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 34

Packaging:
The box is actually quite large, mostly due to the big leather case it comes with. There is also a felt pouch that most people will probably end up using. If you want to travel though and bring most of your accessories with you (including a small amplifier) the big case is really handy. I’ve managed to fit in my Fiio Q1, some extra tips and adapters, and a usb cable. The case feels solid and looks premium and is probably the best looking case I’ve seen come with an IEM, although it’s not waterproof.
There are two sets of single flange tips in 4 sizes, 1 large double flange, and 1 medium foam tips. I tried them all out and go into the differences in sound below. There’s also a shirt clip and ear guides. The ear guides may be necessary for some, as the memory part of the stock cable doesn’t hold that well. I didn’t need the ear guides.
Two important notes:
I don’t have any really neutral IEMs. My reference for what is neutral is a STAX Lambda Pro.
Build
Im going to start with the cable because it was my favorite. It has a cool, rope like texture, and is just the right length. It doesn’t tangle, and it’s extremely light. The right angle is a bit bulky for my liking. It happens to be the same size and oval shape as the connector on my phone case, but I could see this not fitting most phone cases because it has such a wide oval shape. The covering of the angled connector has the TFZ logo in red on the black cable. You can actually see through the big L connect and see that there is a normal sized connect under it. They didn’t need to make it any bigger, really.
The build of the actual earphone is hit and miss. They’re quite large and heavy. This makes them feel really good quality. So they’re large, they’re heavy, and they’re covered in gold paint. I don’t like how the gold looks. It’s shiny, and it chips easily. Using paint has caused problems with a lot of IEMs and it’s probably the only real flaw I can find with the build. Aside from the look, it’s not going to hold up.
TFZ also included their upgrade cable. This thing is awesome. It’s light, pliable, doesn’t tangle, has a heavy duty right angle connector and the memory wire comes basically preset to the perfect angle. This thing retails for $50 and I recommend it to anyone who needs a cable and doesn’t mind a giant connection.
Sound:

The Balance 2M is part of a new reference line-up intended to have a flat FR. I think at some point it’s important that they recognized their previous IEMs were heavily V shaped. Something I’ve seen from many over seas IEM manufacturers is they all claim their IEM is either ‘big bass’ or ‘reference’ regardless of the actual sound. I’m going to first outline the differences between the tips, then go into the sound signature overall with the tips that I think gave it the most ‘balanced’.

Double Flange: You only get one set of double flange tips, and they’re likely a large. These fit really well for me and were really quick and easy to put in and out. Their deeper insertion made it so I couldn’t feel the heavy IEM at all, and regardless of really how I sat the cable, they fit great. These sounded really similar to the narrow bore single flange that I’ll mention later, with the exception of the treble, which had some really hot spots. I’m not normally susceptible to lots of treble, and I don’t think I’ve ever had to stop listening to a headphone or earphone due to treble spikes, but after twenty minutes with these tips I couldn’t stand most songs I previously really enjoyed and was ready to stop listening, but first I had to try the other tips.
Foam:  Again, you get one size, and they happen to fit me. These elevated the bass and lower mids and smoothed out the treble. The treble was almost perfect at this point, but the bass was elevated far above neutral. It wasn’t really my thing, it was a dark leaning IEM and created what I can only imagine as downward slope for the frequency response. Fit and comfort were great, and bassheads may like these, but I sure didn’t.
Wide boar single flange: Flimsy and didn’t fit right, wasn’t a fan, didn’t listen too much
Narrow boar single flange: This IEM was clearly tuned for these tips, and I will describe the sound below as heard using these.
Bass: Unlike with the foam tips, which had far too much bass, and unlike many other Chinese IEMs I’ve heard, the TFZ Balance M2 have bass that extends low and isn’t overpowering. It’s a refreshing change from something like the A73, which has bass that also extends low, but is clearly elevated far above neutral and creates a V shaped signature. The subbass is probably 1 or 2 dB south of neutral, while the bass into the mids remain quite neutral.
The bass on this is better in terms of texture, detail, and is more balanced when compared to Gr07, Noble 3, and Fidue A73.
Mids : They exist. There is no mid-bass hump, and they aren’t the best I’ve ever heard, but there isn’t really anything wrong with them.
Highs: Detailed. Equally detailed to GR07. It’s smooth, and I could listen to this for a very long period of time without being fatigued. There’s no sparkle or pop to the treble that I’ve heard in many V shaped IEMs that give you that sense of detail, but when compared to those IEMs , the detail is still there in these without an artificial sparkle often found.
Soundstage:  Tall, wide, but not as deep as I’d like. It’s probably exactly what you’d expect from a $200 IEM. The separation is there, and the instruments are clear and easy to pick out detail between different instruments, however the distance between these instruments isn’t as great as I’d like. I think the best example are the drums in Gibralter, by Beirut. The beginning of this song on some headphones and earphones provides a huge sense of distance and space between every note. Here, although there is clearly distance and separation, and it actually sounds quite crisp, the sense of space isn’t up to par with some higher end headphones and IEMs.

Gr07: The TFZ is more comfortable, but heavier and the paint chips. The bass goes deeper. They’re both pretty flat but the GR07 has more peaks in the treble. I’d say the GR07 is similar to the TFZ with the double flange tips
A73:  I consider this IEM to be a really solid budget performer. The TFZ has a way better cable, that’s actually removable, and is more comfortable.
They’re about equal in terms of detail but the A73 is very clearly V shaped. Soundstage might be a bit deeper in A73 than in the TFZ.  Separation, though equal, had a bit more distance in A73.
For long periods of listening, and for a wider variety of genres, and for increased comfort and a removable cable, the nod goes to the TFZ

GR07:  I didn’t like shape or build of the GR07. Housing is poor, cables aren’t removable, and I could never find the proper direction with the adjustable nozzle. Bass is better in TFZ, without straying from a neutral profile. The GR07 is unique in that it has a large soundstage and a really nice tonal signature. I think it competes with much more expensive IEMs for these two reasons, and even though I rarely listen to it due to comfort, it’s still a great IEM.

Noble 3:  This thing was a disappointment. It had a good build and was comfortable, but came with a poor selection of tips I actually wanted to use, and didn’t do anything really well. Poor soundstage, mediocre bass, and some decent detail up top. The TFZ is better at half the cost.

AKG N40: I heard this for a couple hours last week.  I don’t have it right here, but from what I remember this is the closest match to the TFZ. The TFZ lacked a little sparkle found in the N40, and I’m not sure that why the N40 had more detail. The N40 had better build, and is smaller. It also is better looking. I’m a huge fan of this IEM.

FAD 1: The FAD is smaller, pretty comfortable, and also comes with a really solid cable. The FAD has an even more intimate soundstage, less extension in the highs, but with similar detail. The fad had boosted mids and sucked out bass that lacked detail and wasn’t very exciting.  The TFZ beats it in almost every category related to sound.
Conclusion: There some really great IEMs coming out in the $200 range, and this TFZ is no exception. If you’re looking for a detailed IEM that’s flat, exceedingly picky about tips and seems durable and well made and you don’t mind paint chips, the weight, or an intimate soundstage, this is a solid IEM. Competition is fierce at this price range and TFZ has a real competitor. I wouldn’t call this fun, hyper analytical, a basshead IEM, or even a giant killer, but it is a great value for those who aren’t looking for a V shaped or bassheavy earphone.  
I often look at my headphone purchases in terms of value, and I've had some poor value headphones and some really good value ones. This is up there as something that comes as a very good value. Lots of accessories, a great presentation, I really enjoy the sound signature, and the level of detail is fantastic. My only hope for the 4m and 6M is a little more seperation and a better paint job.

These earphones look great! Thanks for the review. Looks as if it's not part of any 11/11 sale though. =[ 

Probably still going to pick up a pair down the road though. Any idea if both Balanced models come with the same case? or is the fancy case shown here just for the B2m?

(Also, apologies first for sounding like a grammar nazi, But OP, the word you're looking for is "bore" and not "boar")

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 34

Packaging:
Two important notes:
Build
Sound:

These earphones look great! Thanks for the review. Looks as if it's not part of any 11/11 sale though. =[ 

Probably still going to pick up a pair down the road though. Any idea if both Balanced models come with the same case? or is the fancy case shown here just for the B2m?

(Also, apologies first for sounding like a grammar nazi, But OP, the word you're looking for is "bore" and not "boar")
pm me to know good price

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 34
Mine arrived couple days ago. Unfortunately there was earphones.... missing in packaging. I'm in touch with seller and DHL but it looks like packaging was opened in transit and someone took out earphones. All accessories was there.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 34
@all999 That's terrible. Sorry to see that happened to you 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back