"The Ten Biggest Lies In Audio" - Can You Believe This?
Jul 21, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #91 of 93
Thats the 2nd Biggest load of B.S. I've ever seen (the biggest being situated on a farm near Williamsburg, V.A.)

Edit: The writer of this article doesn't even have a single citation for all these things he claims to have been proffesionally proven...

Jul 21, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #92 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Moving bookcases or putting blankets on the sofa doesn't affect the sound of my headphones.
icon10.gif

Also, I think the vast majority of audiophiles would NOT say that the sound of cables is directly proportional to price, especially insofar is it concerns synergy with their particular system. I have found $90 cables to sound better than a $300 cable in my system, and so I returned the latter.

It's impossible to quantify differences (such as saying they are .01% or .001%) as there is no way to measure this and no measurement standard.

Also, a very slight improvement to you might be very meaningful to me, and an improvement in sound you would not pay $10 for, I might pay $100 for. In other words, "diminishing returns" is different for everybody. And nobody has any basis to say what is "right" for anybody else.

Finally, neither solar flares, the relative humidity, what I had for breakfast that day, how work was going, nor my biorythms, etc., etc., have made as much difference as changing out the power cords in my headphone system. I listen to my system everyday and it sounds virtually the same everyday, whether it is sunny out or not, except when I change something like a cable, a tube, etc. It may be a subtle change, but it is there. Of course, whether YOU would notice it or whether YOU would consider the change worth paying for I can't say. I only know what I hear, what I value, and what it is worth to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very good, Phils.

Jul 21, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #93 of 93
Peter Aczel must have had a big turn about in philosophy over the years. The Audio Critic used to sell special improved sounding capacitors and solder (Wonder caps and Wonder solder) if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back