The Swiss Head-Fiers official census
Jun 14, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #316 of 596
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #317 of 596
Good morning.

As I know some of you are interested in what @kkugel is cooking up in his lab, here it is: https://heresyaudio.com/
I personally can't wait to hear/see the prototype.

Maybe @kkugel can tell us a bit more about how to build an IEM from scratch?
You guys can sign up for the newsletter if interested, there I will be talking about product details soon😄

I think I'm not actually allowed to talk about my products here, but I can talk about how my private journey was in terms of IEM building.
So building an IEM is not that hard, what is hard is building an actually good IEM. I decided to do that after being disappointed by most sub $500 offers. First step is to select drivers to use, here its helpful to ask experienced builders, since there must be like 200+ available, too have a bit of an overview.
I actually kind of looked for patterns in endgame IEMs, to see what makes them great and found certain drivers that are amazing. Also realized there are no actual perfect EST implementations to date, not even Bird or Odin. I studied the literature online about RC crossovers, a lot of knowledge from Loudspeakers is usable too. Afterwards, just finding out how a good FR looks like and what little things in it change sound in what way, then tuning accordingly by experimenting. The rest was just 100% experimenting, I even found different resistors and capacitors to sound different, surprisingly I found some endgame brands to use the ones I use now aftrr discovering them myself. Tip for everyone: don't try to save money and buy thick film resistors, they will destroy your impulse and you will be searching for the error for weeks. I transitioned to brand by acquiring even more knowledge and adding it, some exotic circuits and tuning stuff, where I wanted my personal IEM to be the most technically advanced compared to what there is to buy.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #318 of 596
You guys can sign up for the newsletter if interested, there I will be talking about product details soon😄

I think I'm not actually allowed to talk about my products here, but I can talk about how my private journey was in terms of IEM building.
So building an IEM is not that hard, what is hard is building an actually good IEM. I decided to do that after being disappointed by most sub $500 offers. First step is to select drivers to use, here its helpful to ask experienced builders, since there must be like 200+ available, too have a bit of an overview.
I actually kind of looked for patterns in endgame IEMs, to see what makes them great and found certain drivers that are amazing. Also realized there are no actual perfect EST implementations to date, not even Bird or Odin. I studied the literature online about RC crossovers, a lot of knowledge from Loudspeakers is usable too. Afterwards, just finding out how a good FR looks like and what little things in it change sound in what way, then tuning accordingly by experimenting. The rest was just 100% experimenting, I even found different resistors and capacitors to sound different, surprisingly I found some endgame brands to use the ones I use now aftrr discovering them myself. Tip for everyone: don't try to save money and buy thick film resistors, they will destroy your impulse and you will be searching for the error for weeks. I transitioned to brand by acquiring even more knowledge and adding it, some exotic circuits and tuning stuff, where I wanted my personal IEM to be the most technically advanced compared to what there is to buy.
Wow. That's amazing! And considering you were a noob before.

Now a bit of a heretic question : 🤔😅😉 (pun intended)

Why do you think you can do better than people that have been in the business for decades?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #321 of 596

signed up for the newsletter, curious about the sound and the design! 🤟

Jun 14, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #322 of 596
Wow. That's amazing! And considering you were a noob before.

Now a bit of a heretic question : 🤔😅😉 (pun intended)

Why do you think you can do better than people that have been in the business for decades?
Good pun! Because most of the seemingly exclusive stuff is just pure marketing. Many technologies used in loudspeakers didn't transfer to IEMs yet, integrating those opens new possibilities! Most of the big players started out like this too. I also know some experts which I am working with, that accelerates R&D to crazy speeds, skipping the phase of "basic" market entry products, which you can't do when discovering everything yourself. I also don't believe in common tuning rules, so I'll do it like I believe is best.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #323 of 596
@kkugel how did you come up with the name of your website? :)
Well I was looking for a cool naming scheme for the models, nordic gods are a bit overused, so I used demons. Leviathan (the first model) is a demon that converts people to heresy, quite fitting. After all, we're after demonically good sound :D
I found heresy fitting too, since we want to deviate from current manufacturing beliefs

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #324 of 596
Well I was looking for a cool naming scheme for the models, nordic gods are a bit overused, so I used demons. Leviathan (the first model) is a demon that converts people to heresy, quite fitting. After all, we're after demonically good sound :D
I found heresy fitting too, since we want to deviate from current manufacturing beliefs
You sure that you are Swiss? 😉😅

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #325 of 596
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #326 of 596
Design is not finalized yet, if anyone has some cool ideas feel free to message me.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #329 of 596
Btw just tried Apple Music lossless on Android....every other streaming service can shut down now, the quality is INSANE. Sounds like they have some Chord-like upsampling in their mastering process. Clarity and staging are out of this world for songs I know already

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #330 of 596
Btw just tried Apple Music lossless on Android....every other streaming service can shut down now, the quality is INSANE. Sounds like they have some Chord-like upsampling in their mastering process. Clarity and staging are out of this world for songs I know already

huh… 🤔 just renewed my qobuz… 😒

Users who are viewing this thread

Back