The Super in depth Sony MDR v6 vs Sennheiser HD 280 review
Apr 24, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #19 of 25
Well, for me, the KSC75 is good for casual listening. But, I prefer my V6s over them. Maybe there's something about the V6's analytical nature/ lack of musicality that makes the music sounds good to my ears.

And if I'm not wrong, although the drivers of Portapro and KSC75s are similar, the build material is different. The Portapro has that bloated bass sound even after extensive burn-in, so right now my Portapro is gathering dust in my drawer.

I find that in comparison with the KSC75s, the V6s actually has less bass.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #20 of 25
Interesting review - though I also do think (as someone else posted before) that the Sonys do improve, driven by an amp - especially as far as bass control goes: it really helps tighten things up a bit.
Besides: being designed as a studio monitor I should think that these cans were intended for use with an amp.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by huhwhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that in comparison with the KSC75s, the V6s actually has less bass.

I concur, doctor. God bless the KSC75s!!

It seems as if both the V6s and KSC75s are driven easily without an amp, but both benefit a great deal from amps, particularly on the bassy side of music.

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err...doesn't the KSC75 use the same drivers found in the PortaPro??

Thank you Kramer:

UR40 = titanium KSC75 diaphragm in KSC35 driver housing, mounted in an open earcup.

radio shack Pro35A = KSC75 titanium diaphragm in KSC35 driver housing, mounted in an open portable earcup, Volume slider on cable.

KTX Pro1 = KSC75 titanium diaphragm in KSC35 driver housing, mounted in open portable earcup. Less-porous earpad foams than Pro35A, no volume slider.

KSC55 = KSC75 titanium driver diaphragm in KSC35 driver housing, mounted in open earcup with streetstyle neck-band.

Portapro = KSC35 non-titanium driver diaphragm, mounted in blue KSC35 driver housing. Open earcup.

Portapro II = KSC35 non-titanium driver, in KSC35 earcup. Identical to regular porta except No temple tension adjustment.

Sportapro = KSC35 non-titanium driver diaphragm, mounted in KSC35 driver housing. Open earcup, streetstyle or headband convertible. "Mute" switch on the cord.

KSC75 = Ti driver diaphragm, mounted in open earcup that also doubles up as the driver housing.

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The big problem with the 280s is they are HIDEOUS. they look like something "Weird Al" Yankovic should be wearing in his 'white and nerdy' clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw but even he probably drew the line due to repulsion
eek.gif

forget the sound - anyone caught wearing these in public should be dealt with swiftly and accordingly by the fashion police!
... the sonys actually have some funky street cred with djs and co. surely this stuff matters at this end of the market!

Ehh...not quite as awful as having sex with bubble tape, but I give you credit for comparison.

As far as the headphones discussed, the 280's have better soundstage, mids, and isolation. The MDRV6's win elsewhere.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #24 of 25
I have 7506s and had an oportunity to compare them with 280s. Concerning the sound, I more liked the 280s. I found it - with only one word - brighter. Concernig the comfort, I found them quite comfortable even after more than one hour of wearing. I liked their pressure, but I surely wouldn't wearing them having headaches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The big problem with the 280s is they are HIDEOUS. they look like something "Weird Al" Yankovic should be wearing in his 'white and nerdy' clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw but even he probably drew the line due to repulsion
eek.gif

forget the sound - anyone caught wearing these in public should be dealt with swiftly and accordingly by the fashion police!
... the sonys actually have some funky street cred with djs and co. surely this stuff matters at this end of the market!

I am afraid, I have to disagree. To me, they are the 2nd prettiest Senns (1st HMD 25-1/HD 25-1). Having them (they are still on my wishlist), no problem with wearing them in public.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err...doesn't the KSC75 use the same drivers found in the PortaPro??

NO. Dimensionally, they are pretty much the same, but the KSC75/KTX-Pro/Pro35/UR40 drivers have Koss's titanium coating. That gives them a sparkle that the PortaPro/SportaPro/KSC35 drivers do not have.

EDIT: Oops! I see that OI812 has answered much more thoroughly than me. I would agree that Kramer is the local expert on PortaPro vs. KSC75 driver technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back