The stubborn solder joint (desoldering)
Jun 14, 2007 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fierce_freak

Headphoneus Supremus
I sat down to change out some parts in my amp to change the gain, figuring it would be a quick job (i've changed parts on this board before), but it's not. Everything went fine except one joint was/is ridiculously stubborn. First, I couldn't get the lead out of the hole...it took about 5 minutes to get out. Now I can't get all the solder out of the hole to put the new resistor in. I've tried a solder bulb, desoldering wick, even adding more solder to the joint before using the bulb or the wick. Lastly, I tried using the soldering iron on one side of the board while trying to add solder from the other side.

The solder won't melt. Somehow I'm not getting enough heat through the joint (soldering iron goes to 825 degrees). Anyone have any ideas?

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 15
add solder to the hole.

if the solder is below the surface (int eh hole, but not above or below it) it wont melt easily and will be harder for the de-soldering instruments to deal with. then try to wick or solder-bulb it out.

as a last resort, i have pressed the new part into the hole while holding the iron on the backside. it is a last ditch effort, but i have decent success with 2-leaded parts. if only 1 hole is plugged this is CAKE. you bend the leads to fit, and melt the stubborn solder as you slide the resistor into both holes. then the "open" hole gets soldered. if both holes are stuck you can go millimeter by millimeter. very careful planning is necessary to avoid "warming your fingertips" with hot things
wink.gif
but it can be done.

edited after re-reading the OP:
if you have a powerful iron, try to set it lower. i use 600*f for parts on PCB's. i use 700 for burning the crap off of cardas wires.
after you drop the heat, feed LOTS of solder into the hole, and suck it out.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 15
I would wonder if the soldering iron tip is dirty so it's not conducting heat well. You might try taking a needle in a pair of pliers, heating the needle or the hole with the iron (needle being better so as to not subject the hole & trace(s) to more heat than necessary since it has been heated quite a bit already) while pushing the needle through the hole. Keep moving the needle so it doesn't get stuck and be sure it is just a little larger than the part lead will be.

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 15
I feel your pain. I do a lot of PWB rework, and I've had this happen plenty of times. Try twisting the solder wick into a point, so it can get inside the hole, add some flux to it, and place the iron on top the wick and see if that helps. Be sure the iron tip is clean, so it transfers heat.

The trick with using a resistor lead or needle has worked for me as well. Flux helps here, too.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 15
If you have a Harbor Freight Tools in your town, buy their assortment of eensy carbide drill bits. Costs about $4.

Pick out the bit that's about the same diameter as the wire you pulled out of the hole and use it to drill out the solder.

Generally this does a lot less damage to the through-hole than trying to thermally desolder it. through-hole with groundplane on both sides can be nigh impossible to melt well enough.

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 15
I agree with a previous statement that your iron tip just isn't getting hot enough. However, that's a double edged sword! The hotter the tip the greater the possibility of the pad lifting because it's been left on it too long!

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 15
Hmm.. between a hot iron, flux, and a wick.. theres not much you can't desolder.

A lower wattage iron can cause all kinds of hell for sure, especially with the new crap solder they are manufacturing these days! Lead based solder is still the easiest and most enjoyable to use.

Make sure the tip of your iron is tightened down securely for optimum heat transfer. Also, keep the tip very well cleaned and properly tinned before doing any work.

With the lower wattage/cheaper irons, heavy soldering can cause the temperature to drop too low and will cause cold solder joints and difficulty during desoldering as well. If suspected, give the iron a short rest and allow it to regain it's peak temperature.

Good luck!

~Zip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back