The Struggle that is selling. (A900LTD --> what?)
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cybertron

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm not sure how these type of theads are viewed... (annoying or otherwise), so if that is the case, my apologies. I'm sure lots of people as the same question over and over, and I know in the computer world, people get annoyed that you dont just google the question. With headphones though, i seems like the opposite of a science and that everyones opinion is different.

So here I am... I've basically just sold my A900LTDs and I'm horribly torn. In short, the money is not in my hands yet because I'd sort of like to find out what I should replace these guys with before I seal the deal. I'm having a bit of premature separation anxiety, so bear with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I absolutely love these cans... I've heard some people say negative things, but who doesnt about anything. I love their bass and their detail and the air around each stroke of the guitar, etc. I am not set on closed phones, but I tend to be in environments that would be less than silent. I live in a very urban area and at present there are some really annoying yapping dogs outside, car alarms in the parking garage and the occasional screeching from tires. I used to have the following cans... SR225, DT770/80, and now A900LTD and I like them all equally when I had them, but never had two at once to compare. I do remember the Grados being very open, i mean, i could speak to people in the room w/ no music on and hear them as if i had no headphones on, so if all open cans are like that, I'm not sure they would be good as a primary set.

Maybe this would be a good time to get 2x a pair of $150 cans, or possible an amp + dt770 or something like that. I've never had an amp, but maybe I could afford a decent pair of cans + amp around $300-$400? I really dont know what comes after A900LTD... I've been told they were the best closed cans you can get.. is that true? Seems like there are so many possibilities that would untrue.

Anyway, if someone could weigh in here and give their opinion, I'd be much appreciative. Thank you in advance.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I'm not sure how these type of theads are viewed... (annoying or otherwise), so if that is the case, my apologies. I'm sure lots of people as the same question over and over, and I know in the computer world, people get annoyed that you dont just google the question. With headphones though, i seems like the opposite of a science and that everyones opinion is different.

So here I am... I've basically just sold my A900LTDs and I'm horribly torn. In short, the money is not in my hands yet because I'd sort of like to find out what I should replace these guys with before I seal the deal. I'm having a bit of premature separation anxiety, so bear with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I absolutely love these cans... I've heard some people say negative things, but who doesnt about anything. I love their bass and their detail and the air around each stroke of the guitar, etc. I am not set on closed phones, but I tend to be in environments that would be less than silent. I live in a very urban area and at present there are some really annoying yapping dogs outside, car alarms in the parking garage and the occasional screeching from tires. I used to have the following cans... SR225, DT770/80, and now A900LTD and I like them all equally when I had them, but never had two at once to compare. I do remember the Grados being very open, i mean, i could speak to people in the room w/ no music on and hear them as if i had no headphones on, so if all open cans are like that, I'm not sure they would be good as a primary set.

Maybe this would be a good time to get 2x a pair of $150 cans, or possible an amp + dt770 or something like that. I've never had an amp, but maybe I could afford a decent pair of cans + amp around $300-$400? I really dont know what comes after A900LTD... I've been told they were the best closed cans you can get.. is that true? Seems like there are so many possibilities that would untrue.

Anyway, if someone could weigh in here and give their opinion, I'd be much appreciative. Thank you in advance.

Why the heck are you selling them? If you feel this way about them then what does it matter what others say?
confused.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the heck are you selling them? If you feel this way about them them what does it matter what others say?
confused.gif

Well, originally i was selling them because I wanted to fund getting a Cisco Cert for a career boost (read: more important than headphones), but I realized, thats stupid. I can just save a few bucks here and there and pay for what I need. Well, literally an hour or so AFTER I came to that conclusion, someone offered to purchase them. Soo, I'd like to honor my sale, and at the same time... experience some more headphone greatness. I feel like a total newbie when it comes to headphones as I've only reach the $300 mark and there are so many more options... for example,their are a pair of Darth Beyer v3's for sale @ $560 and I've LOVE to try them. Albeit, out of my price range.

So yeah, thats my story.

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 11
Its settled. I'm keeping them. And I think i'm going to get my first amp.. the Zero

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its settled. I'm keeping them. And I think i'm going to get my first amp.. the Zero

Great! I have the A950LTD and they really are a great closed can for all genres. I was also recently thinking of selling them to pursue other interests, but have decided to hold on to them for a while longer.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolmanCool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a discernible difference between the 900LTD and the 950LTD?

yeah, i was wondering the same thing.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 11
I own both A900LTD and A950LTD and to my ears they both sound nearly identical. Some may claim there is a difference between the two but it isn't a night and day difference if any. I would have to do some critical listening on both cans to find any differences and so far I haven't heard anything significant. The only difference between the two is that the the A900LTD was a exclusive Japan only release and the A950LTD was a exclusive Taiwan only release.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 11
It's kinda funny that usually people are struggling over what to buy, and you are struggle over what to sell
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back