The Strokes- Room on fire
Oct 29, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #16 of 30
I heard the new Strokes one this last weekend. It is definitely awesome. I didn't know it came out today. Guess where I'll be going tomorrow on the way home from work?

Oct 29, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
OK...any chance we could break up this little game of "yo mamma so ugly" before it goes much further??
rolleyes.gif

That reminds me...
Your mamma is so ugly waylman

Oct 29, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #18 of 30
just got through listening to it for the first time and i like it. the mix is fairly loud (for those wondering) but the overall seems to be a pleasant mix of songs. there is even a couple of sly guitar solos! the little keyboard synth additions are cute as well, and although they sort of stuck out at me, they aren't screamingly annoying or anything. i look forward to listening to it again, most likely as soon as i finish this post.

if i had to make an assertion about this album, i'd say that if you have their first release and love it, get this album. if you're just a norah jones fan, you probably want to skate past this release as i'm sure you'll feel there aren't any real "improvements" over the debut.

[edit]: p.s. pitchfork's review is fairly spot-on with my feelings on the album: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...-on-fire.shtml

Oct 29, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 30
how does this album compare to their previous one.
I like the strokes, I think they are really fun and catchy but about halfway through the disk I start thinking "hey I think I've heard this one before, oh yah, its the same beat from every other song on the album." If it is just more of the same I might stay away.

uggh pitchfork, the epitome of everything wrong with the indie scene. Some of their reviews are pretty good, but most of them are a big attempt for the reviewer to run through every three dollar word in his/her vocabulary and not actually describe anything about the music or band that isn't an obtuse metaphor, or will in some way reference how poor, and consequently geniunely indie, the reviewer themselves are.

Oct 29, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 30
Just got the Album last night.

Have listened to it several times. I really enjoyed their first release. I would describe this attempt as more of the same but in a good way. If you are not paying attention to it can drone on and sound mundane. A lot like the first record, but there is enough little intricacies and change ups in can be quite enjoyable after listening to it a few times.

I guess its their style, some say boring and mundane I would say not quite as in your face and drastic like other rock bands.

Any ways I like and will enjoy it for a while.

Oct 29, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 30
Just listened to it on the way home. I think that I like it just a tetch better than the debut album...which I like very much, BTW.

I like their sound...it's sort of the Romatics meet Lou Reed meet Iggy Pop.

Oct 30, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
I like the strokes, I think they are really fun and catchy but about halfway through the disk I start thinking "hey I think I've heard this one before, oh yah, its the same beat from every other song on the album." If it is just more of the same I might stay away.

This album has a totally different vibe then the first and each song sounds different unlike the first one( almost felt like one big song). Where with the first one if you where doing some thing and listening to the CD at the same time won't even realize the tracks are changing.

Kyle-
rs1smile.gif

Nov 1, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #24 of 30
Well I listened to this just now........its pretty good but I like 1st album better, has more passion, energy, rough edges. This is more like semi polished stone, smoother more relaxed, except for a couple tracks which capture some of the energy of 1st album.
1st album ----------> like NY Dolls
2nd album ---------> like Lou Reed
Warning this group is losing their edge...........

Different "strokes" for different folks I guess
cool.gif

Nov 1, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 30
I totally agree with Chefguru.

The first album was fun but all the tracks sounded alike. I got bored of it real fast. Room On Fire mixes up the pace throughout. It's nice. I wasn't expecting too much when I bought the album, so this has been a nice suprise so far. Definitely better than the first.

Favorite song: Automtic Stop.

Nov 2, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by waylman
look who else uses *gasp* girls on their cover.....

e884584rhvi.jpg

not to flame but for the us release they elegently chose this wonderful physics picture for their cover

d775twecstroke.jpg

Nov 2, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by the faint
not to flame but for the us release they elegently chose this wonderful physics picture for their cover

that's because the original cover (mmm hips) got banned, along with the track "new york city cops" (which can be found on imports)

Nov 2, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 30
For the record, "New York City Cops", one of the best tracks on "Is This It?", was removed by the band post 9/11, not banned by anyone else.

After a few more listens to "Room On Fire", I'm liking it quite a bit, but viewed from the newness (well from a retro band) of the first album, it's not much of a stretch. Still fun. Bought the same day, I'm digging The Shins "Chutes Too Narrow" quite a bit more, though.

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by raif

my exact same feelings... its not bad, per se, but it gets old quick and, like waylman said, "uninspired". i listen to is this it once in a while but definately never saw anything special in it like everyone else

Nov 4, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #30 of 30
I enjoy the strokes. I think, though, as the mainstream begins to
engulf the indie music scene more and more there is a growing division between "hip" indie music, and the rough quality that once defined the sub-genre. I think the strokes are a pretty hip band.

I know this isn't really profound, it has happened to every other genre of music. Led Zeppelen -> Bon Jovi, NWA -> Ja Rule, Nirvana-> Matchbox Twenty, the list goes on and on. I just find that I am little more judgemental about indie music because part of the whole idea is that it is supposingly anti-establishment and forsaking image for the sake of "the music."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back