The Strokes - Comedown Machine
Mar 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I have only heard it a few times so my impressions of this album could possible change, but as for now I feel that I'm still waiting for the true follow up to "This Is It".  They sound a bit weary and tired, maybe tired of the five album deal with RCA and this album marks the end of this contract aka the cover..

The Strokes are from now on legally on their own and this may be the best part of this album :) I feel that it lacks songs that immediately stand out and it is overall a very polished sounding album. Maybe they will find a new audience with this sound.. and then move on to something better released with a different label or it may be the last we will hear from them as The Strokes...

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 13
I think it builds on the 80's sound that showed up on a few tracks on "Angles".  If you like where "Angles" was headed you'll probably like this one.  If you want something that sounds like the first couple, "Comedown Machine" will probably disappoint.  The Strokes sound more like "A-Ha" then "Television"  on this album.  Lot of falsetto singing.  I've only heard it twice but it's not bad.  I was a big fan of "Angles".  I don't think this one is as good but I've enjoyed it so far.  It's more of a fun listen than a classic in the making.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Anthony Fantano from the needledrop did an EXCELLENT review for this album. This will definitely answer all your questions, it's fair and balanced.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 13
I think that was a fair review although I don't agree with everything stated. Actually I love this album although it wasn't an album that initially made me fall in love. Neither was Angles for that matter. But every listen after the first I came to appreciate it more and more to where now I can say I love it. Of course The Strokes could record farts on a disc and I'd probably still find a reason to love it. And I have a bit of a "man-crush" on Julian Casablancas lol. I actually think his solo album ranks up in the top two or three of all the records he's ever put out with The Strokes. So Comedown Machine may not be the follow up to Is This It we all want but any new music from The Strokes is welcome and I'll be happily listening to it for some time to come.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 13
I like it too, but it's no better than my 4th favorite Strokes album.

How'd you feel about Phrazes For The Young? I loved it! I want Julian to do another solo record.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
How'd you feel about Phrazes For The Young? I loved it! I want Julian to do another solo record.

I was optimistic about "Phazes for the Young", after hearing the first single, but I was disappointed.  I will admit I didn't give it much of a chance.  I probably only heard it 4-5 times.  I'd probably get Julian's 2nd solo album if he made one though.  Julian's built up a lot of capital with me for his work in the Strokes.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 13
I tend not to like this album so far. I agree with Anthony about the songs needing some refining,but also disagree with his opinion on the drum tracks as I think they're just too far back in the mix.The combination of warm tubey guitar sounds with very dead sounding drums doesn't do much for me.The snare sound throughout this whole album just sounds lifeless almost like it's in a separate room,a well insulated separate room,it has no resonence. Guitars an synth are right up front ,while I find bass and drums are muted.
I think a better mix an d mastering would have done wonders for this album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back