The Storm Pandora Thread
Sep 7, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #91 of 174
the pandora that i was testing had a hum too so ken replaced the transformer with one that's several times more expensive. presumably it should be several times quieter. to my understanding it's silent at ken's place. he is dedicated to ensuring that its as quiet as possible

that said, all transformers DO have hums as people have said above.. its just the nature of the device

edit: for what its worth ken seemed to put into practice all feedback i gave him, so it's reassuring to know that he's looking after his product

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #92 of 174
True, it is transformer hum. I know it is normal. For me it is not serious problem in my setting (headphones, 2,5m). Using the DAC with PC and speakers you will hear it in quiet passages of music. If you really concentrate on it and know the sound you can hear it from some distance without headphones (0 - 2m). I write him only for sure.
The display should be fixed with next firmware.
Ken is preparing custom boxes for better packaging. He is very responsive.
I am thinking about going balanced...my Opera will be soon at FS.

Sep 7, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #93 of 174
How are you feeling generally about it?

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #97 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine a week ago. Slight shipping damage

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mgp1661by0.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mgp1675oi6.jpg

Also has very slight hum. In fact, if I cover the vent holes on top of the unit, the hum is inaudible.

Ah, know what? I think the fact that it has those vent holes make the hum more audible! That is really not a flaw, all transformers hum, and the larger the transformer the more the hum. And, the pandora just so happens to have TWO large transformers.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #98 of 174
Quote:

Got mine a week ago. Slight shipping damage

Well that's one out of what, 100?
I'll be interested to hear from anyone else who gets theirs, especially people with more than 20 posts.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #100 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that's one out of what, 100?
I'll be interested to hear from anyone else who gets theirs, especially people with more than 20 posts.

Where are you getting that number? So far I've only seen two people here post that they've received one with one of those having shipping damage.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #101 of 174
Quote:

Also has very slight hum. In fact, if I cover the vent holes on top of the unit, the hum is inaudible.

Sounds like transformer hum, not much to be done about it other than replacing the trafo.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #103 of 174
Transformer hum? Do any of your other components have transformer hum?

Could it be noise on the power lines? That would explain the hum when it wasn't present at Kens place? Another option would be to open the unit and make sure the transformer bolt hasn't come lose?

Mitch

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #104 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All transformers hum. See my previous posts in this thread for more info.

I respectfully disagree, I've encountered many a transformer that did not have audible hum and I don't see why the Pandora's should.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #105 of 174
If I put my ear by the vents on all my audio products, (cayin ha-1a, mpx3, dac-60) I can hear a transformer hum. It also has a lot to do with how long the component has warmed up, how much noise is in the ac power source and many other factors. The hum can be more or less audible at different points throughout the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I respectfully disagree, I've encountered many a transformer that did not have audible hum and I don't see why the Pandora's should.

All transformers hum (it is in the nature of the design), whether it is audible or not is another story and also has a lot to do with how well they are damped, and also has a LOT to do with any ground loops, ac line quality, noise, ripple, etc... A line conditioner would be ideal but I can't afford one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back