The Steak Thread / Poll - What is your favourite cut?
Jan 8, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #31 of 38
Generally the Ribeye at most places.

Porterhouse if it's at Peter Lugers (NYC).

Prime rib at Lawry's (LA) or House of Prime Ribe (SF), bone in of course.

Prime Sirloin at Sparks (NYC).

All the above in medium rare.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #32 of 38
Most of the time I prefer a Ribeye or New York Strip Angus beef that's been dry aged and prepared medium rare. I also do enjoy a slice of Filet Mignon prepared medium rare and when I can afford to splurge Kobe Beef is to die for.

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #33 of 38
If you ever get the opportunity, Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa, FL is a great place for any kind of steak. Very knowledgable staff, a wine selection that has to be seen to be believed, and a kitchen that's operating-room clean. (It's part of the restaurant tour, along with the wine cellar). Any steak, any way you want it cut, cooked to perfection. Definitely one of the best.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #34 of 38
Here I am first day back in class, trying to make it all day without lunch to save some cash, and you just have to come out with this thread. Well at least now I have a plan for supper tonight; go to the store and pick up a few Amana strip steaks. I can't wait!

Has anyone here ever had buffalo steak? I would almost think it would be to lean to be any good.

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grilled T-bone or rib eye medium rare.

I'm hungry now.. damn you!

That sounds really good.except I like mine really rare.
icon10.gif
Now your not the only one hungry.

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sagekoala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here ever had buffalo steak? I would almost think it would be to lean to be any good.

Yep, actually here in ATL, Ted Turner has a few steak restaurants that use his bison meat. Figures, since he has large buffalo farms out in Montana. It's actually not bad at all.....and IMO, I think the leanest/ tenderest part of the cow is the best (the fillet or tenderloin). Comparing it to a beef tenderloin, it's not quite as tender, but actually has more flavor to it. Actually, buffalo burger is easier to find: and they can be VERY good!

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone tried kobi beef? they say it melts in your mouth.

Yup.

I've had a few slices of A6 grade Kobe beef sashimi and it really does "melt in your mouth". I always thought the top grade was A5, but apparently, I had some A6
confused.gif
I'm slightly suspicious of this because apparently, the very top grades are not ever exported.

Two nights ago, I was at a Japanese restaurant (水车屋) with my parents in Hong Kong in Happy Valley. Beef-wise, I had a 6oz piece of A4 grade Kobe beef and some diced cubes of Australian wagyu on teppanyaki. It costs a fair bit though: the 6oz piece of A4 grade Kobe beef cost 500HKD/64USD. I can only say that it is the best beef I have ever tried short of the A6 grade sashimi. Beats any USDA prime/aged/whatever rib-eye, fillet mignon, sirloin, etc... It is quite fatty though. Let's say the marbling was just about perfect
tongue.gif

Of the few times I've had Kobe beef, it's always been without any sauces. I reckon they're best enjoyed with a slight bit of salt and few specks of black pepper. It's incredibly difficult to cook well at home (my parents have tried), so we've always had it in restaurants. Some day, I'd love to try a whole 12oz A6 grade Kobe beef. I thought it would be a bit rude if I asked to have it since it would've costed 1980HKD/254USD
tongue.gif
Maybe I'll save up and pay for one myself
biggrin.gif
Probably my favourite food along with foie gras... I don't want to get coronary heart disease though, so must limit myself! Why does all the good stuff always have to be so harmful?!

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #38 of 38
^ Agreed, same here. Only had Kobe beef prepared at a restaurant done in medium rare without any fancy sauces or gravy. Only had the slice of Kobe beef lightly seasoned and it was by far the most tender steak I've ever eaten. A6 Kobe beef is top grade and the little 4 oz. slab that I had for this particular entree dish set me back somewhere near $45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back