The Stax's have arrived!
May 27, 2003 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Gallaine

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up the package this morning from the Post Office. Since I had to go to work I didn't have much of an opportunity to listen to them
mad.gif
. I was only able to integrate them into my system and put the SACD Player on repeat.

My initial impressions are:

1) The headphones are ugly! There is just no other way to say it. It looks like I have radiators strapped to my head. And then there is the wonderful WWII uniform green and brown color scheme. Yikes!

2) I tried on the headphones briefly and they were very comfortable. I was surprised that they actually seemed more comfortable than my HD580's or even my Beyer DT770's. But, I don't know if this will hold true over long listening sessions..

3) The build quality is pretty good. My one complaint so far is that the pads on the headphones are already separating from the shells - not a big deal really as the sticky backing seems still be, well, sticky. The amplifier seems solid, though not quite as solid as my MG Head.

I can't wait to get home and listen. The system will have been burned in for about 10 or 11 hours by then.

May 27, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 56
Congrats Gallaine!!!

And welcome to team Stax. We're growing, slowly but surely.

I wonder how much difference, sonically, is there between the 006t and the 007t. If it sounds anything like the 007t, you'll love the midrange, although the top end may seem to be a smidgen rolled off. The bass is excellent.

Let us know more as soon as you have a chance.

Uncledan, I believe Gallaine bought the 4040.

May 28, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 56
Some more initial impressions:

The system has been burned in for about 12 hours now. I didn't do extensive listening, just a couple of tracks here and there.

1) Man, this thing gets hot! The top plate near the tubes is almost too hot to touch. Some of that is probably due to the fact the I need longer interconnects so that I can space the shelves further apart.

2) I can see the potential here. However, I can also see where I hope burn-in makes some improvement. There is a 3-dimensionalism about the soundstage that if it improves with time will be simply amazing. As a believer in burn-in I won't pass judgement until the unit has at least 200-300 hours on it.

One question (ok, another question since I've already asked a few in the past
wink.gif
), since the PC doesn't have a ground pin does that mean I need to snip off the ground pin from after-market PCs?

May 28, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
One question (ok, another question since I've already asked a few in the past
wink.gif
), since the PC doesn't have a ground pin does that mean I need to snip off the ground pin from after-market PCs?

eek.gif

Umm, no.

*reminds himself to never let Gallaine touch his power cords...*

May 28, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 56
I have also bought a set of 4040 Signature System II yesterday, had run it about 15 hours now, a very different kind of sound comparing to my HD600/EarMax Pro combo. Not as smooth as my HD600 combo at the moment, I think I need to give it more burn in time as electrostatics tend to take much longer to get in shape.

May 28, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
cool, another person in team Stax. Please enjoy!

Uncledan... Can you post brief impressions on Omega v W2002 or v CD3000? Thanks

May 28, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
eek.gif

Umm, no.

*reminds himself to never let Gallaine touch his power cords...*

Probably a good idea. There is no telling what I'd do with them!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by maskrider

I have also bought a set of 4040 Signature System II yesterday, had run it about 15 hours now, a very different kind of sound comparing to my HD600/EarMax Pro combo. Not as smooth as my HD600 combo at the moment, I think I need to give it more burn in time as electrostatics tend to take much longer to get in shape.

So far, it doesn't seem as detailed as my tuberolled MG Head. Instruments that I clearly heard with the Head are almost completely obscured with the Stax. OTOH the soundstage is both deeper and wider than on the Head. We'll see what happens with more burn-in time.

May 29, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
that's strange. i thought one of the main benefits of electrostatics is detail...

interesting.

I'm not too concerned yet. I haven't really gotten a chance to sit down and listen to it for an extended period. If the lack of detail continues beyond the 200 or 300 hour mark I'll become concerned.

May 29, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 56
In my experience, cabling can serve to drastically mask the details, or drastically unleash them. Before, my major complaint all the time with anything and everything was lack of details. You don't hear me complaining about that anymore.
wink.gif
I can hear so deep into recordings now in fact that it's downright scary.
eek.gif

May 29, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

So far, it doesn't seem as detailed as my tuberolled MG Head. Instruments that I clearly heard with the Head are almost completely obscured with the Stax. OTOH the soundstage is both deeper and wider than on the Head. We'll see what happens with more burn-in time. [/B]

My unit is already at 30+ hours, it is very detailed, but body is still lacking a bit. Punch is there, but certainly not as punchy as the HD600.

Soundstage is pretty wide, not as smooth as the HD600 combo as yet (the NOS in EMP and the Cardas cable do wonders).

With the EMP I can only use single-ended connections with my TaraLabs Decade, my Transparent Reference XLR was left in the box for far too long, I think it will also need time to get back in shape.

I will run it continually to get them both in shape, but I think it is the 404 earspeakers that will take most of the time running in.

May 29, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
In my experience, cabling can serve to drastically mask the details, or drastically unleash them. Before, my major complaint all the time with anything and everything was lack of details. You don't hear me complaining about that anymore.
wink.gif
I can hear so deep into recordings now in fact that it's downright scary.
eek.gif

I could see that. The thing is I've never had a complaint about the HGA Silver Lace's ability to extract detail - it might be a tad thin and lacking in weight and body.

I went ahead and purchased a 1m pair of Zu Cable Varial interconnects. I really needed something longer than my 0.5m Silver Lace's and thought this might be good place to start (especially since I bought used for a good price).

Listening again last night comfirmed that some instruments are obscured where they were crystal clear on my MG Head; these are recordings that I have listened to alot and feel that I know them well. The soundstage is huge in comparison and I am certainly happy about that. It does seem a little more forward i.e. closer in than with the MG Head/XFeed III combination.

May 29, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

I went ahead and purchased a 1m pair of Zu Cable Varial interconnects.

Sorry to go off topic but I've been wondering about this for a while, kind of a newbie-ish question. What does "Varial" mean? Is it 2 rca --> 2 rca?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back