The Stax SRM-001 mod thread
Aug 7, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #166 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything I can do about the stiffness of the knob?

you can change the knob.... but that will change the "color scheme"
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #168 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroflot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry if i am off topic, but my earspeaker's cable just broke. i have tried to repair it, but now i have humming noise. i was also wondering if it was possible to buy a new cable. Any place that shipps to Europe would be great.

I had to repair my cable and had a problem with humming too. I just redid it and eventually the humming went away.

Unfortunately my cable broke again at the plug and I'm still working on fixing that. I really need a continuity tester or multimeter to do it right though.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #169 of 440
I got 9 hours non-stop (7 with multiple on/off powering) with a bunch of volume adjusting while using using those Sony Batteries I posted about.

I logged usage every time I powered her on or used her via the Touch she was attached to. So does that mean the short battery life you're experiencing is due to the mods, or just using those 900mAh batteries?

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #170 of 440
If you are using 2600 mAh NimH, 8-10 hours is about right.

The mod basically doubles the power consumption, and because two lithiums don't add up to 2500mAH, the play time of a modded system is much lower than a stock amp.

But you gain SQ with the mod...... need I say more?
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #171 of 440
Yeah...they're somewhere between 2600 and 3000mAh...

This mod, is it a subtle difference like the iMod, or is it a huge difference in SQ???? Like leaping from one amp to another?

Frankly, I'm pretty satisfied with the SQ I have right now, and swore I would leave my portable rig alone forever....but this mod has me curious....

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #172 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah...they're somewhere between 2600 and 3000mAh...

This mod, is it a subtle difference like the iMod, or is it a huge difference in SQ???? Like leaping from one amp to another?

Frankly, I'm pretty satisfied with the SQ I have right now, and swore I would leave my portable rig alone forever....but this mod has me curious....

It is a huge difference between stock and super fat cat modded 001.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #173 of 440
Son of a (&%*&^%%%&&($##%#@.... Just when I thought I was COMPLETE.... Anybody wanna lemme borrow it for a bit to compare? I'm EXTREMELY anxious to hear the difference, but have other things on the "spending list"....

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #175 of 440
So I performed surgery on my SR-001 cable. It was almost a disaster due to poor planning on my part. The original issue which I've had twice was that somewhere around the plug one of the 6 cables gets fractured which causes the sound to cut in and out from a low to high volume.

So my plan was to slice open the plug along the edge with a razor, cut the cable down a few inches, re-solder the contact points, and re-assemble with some heatshrink over the the thing for safe measure.

I accomplished this but not without some struggles along the way. Dissecting the plug was simple enough with no glued parts or anything. However when I opened the plug chamber the six separate cables popped out and I had no idea where there original positions were! I resoldered everything anyways which took a few hours since I haven't used a soldering iron since highschool. The cable is so flimsy I just had so much trouble getting clean connections on top of them having to cleanly fit back in the plug chamber.

What really threw me off and required testing was the order in which these things were in there originally. Everytime I wanted to test a configuration the little contact points would break loose and crap so it took forever to test.

So there is six contact points on the plug and on the SR-001 driver. It took me a lot of testing that yielded some really weird sounds in instances where I got it wrong. Strange things when signals got mixed with one another. Kinda creepy. Maybe someone already knows this but I will number the contact points on the SR001: 1-6 and the 6 separate wires: A-F. Here's how I matched them up in the end which seems to be working:
DISREGARD
1. - Empty plug no wire attached
2. - A
3. - C
4. - D
5. - B and E (Shared Ground)
6. - F
\DISREGARD
From what I can tell, number 1 simply tells the unit if the headphones are plugged in or not. If you don't put the empty contact pin in that spot the unit won't turn on. This is what initially threw me off.

It's kinda late and this probably doesn't make much sense to anyone but I can draw a simple diagram later if anyone would find it useful. Or can expand on the process of opening everything.

EDIT: Nevermind after further listening I don't have it right. Both headphones are receiving both channels so I've been enjoying mono. Back to testing.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #177 of 440
**** that means I had it right all along. I must need to clean up my connections because I bet the sound signal is traveling up the bias or something?

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #178 of 440
<snip> mod
In anycase, tog et back on topic, how many others have done this mod either on thier own or through audiocats? What's the battery life like WITHOUT using the external pack at its final stage of mods?

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #179 of 440
<snip> mod
The SFC runs about 3 hours on a pair of lithium 14500 cells in parallel. I get about 6 hours on some old cheap re-chargable NiMH with my stock SR-001.

I'll sometimes use the SFC modded in my car because I can still hear traffic, and I have a 4.5v DC adapter in the car that I use. Most of the time the SFC is at my bedside rig, fed by H140>HR Micro DAC>SR-001 SFC modded. The 3 hour battery life is just too limiting to carry it around as my portable rig.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #180 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 3 hour battery life is just too limiting to carry it around as my portable rig.

Larry, if you are willing to lose the capability of holding internal batteries (since you are using it as a desktop and in a car, both with external power), do you want a convertion to the SFC ++?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back