The Stax SRM-001 mod thread
May 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #346 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcus1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Boris; last question :*)

Does the above (along with the new OPA1642 and resistors in power supply filters) accurately describe your current set-up?

Thanks again

Yes, that is about everything. There are also some small lytics around op-amp-s, which I changed for polypropylen. Black gate-s should be as good and probably better. But this is minor thing.
I did not try any other high voltage supply and output caps, you should refer to Audiocats to find out, which are best.
Supply resistors are 100 ohm and 22 ohm to compensate for higher supply current of OPA against Toshiba amps. If you plan to try AD8599, they should be even lower or no resistors at all.
Power supply in my case is SiC diode rectifier, RCLC filter ( 2 x 33000uF ) and then low noise discrete 3.6 V regulator. Regulator is not my design, so I can not go in details about it.

Best regards and have a lot of fun,
borisov57

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #347 of 440
Hi All 001moders,

I bought an UFC+ modded unit from Questa and I just want to thank Audiocats and the others who contributed to the evolution. 

This is amazing.  I have the JH13pro which are wonderful in their own right but right now I find myself choosing the 001UFC+. 

Perhaps its the novelity of it but I do want to say a big THANKS to Audiocats,

George

PS--Will we owners watch as the value if these climb since Stax is no longer making them?   VBG

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #349 of 440
Humm,  I don't have any inside info.  They still are making the phones so it could be a new amp only--not too big a project.   Given how HP have surged in the market, it makes sense that they wouldn't abandon this growing market to JHAudio.  Market share is very important in Japaneese business thinking--but Stax may be the exception.

BTW can you link me to a thread where options for earpads are discussed?   So far I've found the Stax rings work best--they are the only things that present the full frequency response.  Everything else, while more comfortable, sounds better when they are pushed/held in or when I open my mouth/make a face.

George

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #350 of 440

Quote:
I thought Stax was planning to release a new portable system soon. Maybe that is why they discontinued the 001mK2?

I took my SR-001 (which you modded a while ago) to Westone on Wednesday, and Doug and Karl both thought it sounded very good with the HiFiMan HM-801 and 24/96 FLAC.  It would be a shame if Stax doesn't keep producing something similar.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #352 of 440

Quote:
How do you use the HiFiMan as signal source, Larry? does it have a line-out or simply use the headphone out?  How does it compare (as a source) to an iMod with a V-cap dock?

The 801 has a line out and a headphone out.  I prefer it to my iMod/Vcaps by a small but appreciable margin, mostly with hi-res 24/96 files.  

My main gripe is being limited to swapping 8-32 Gb SD cards in and out.  I can fit about 30-32 lossless 16/44 FLAC albums on an 8 Gb card, or 7-8 24/96 albums.  I have four 8 Gb SD cards to play with, and two of them are filled with 24/96 music.  The huge power brick is another issue I have with it.

My HM-801 review:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/424091/hifiman-hm-801-portable-player-dac-review-part-one-of-two/600#post_6704606

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #354 of 440
Can someone tell me if I'm correct here, Please?

I need to build a new LOD from my DIY iMod to the SRM-001.  I don't need any caps because the 001UFC has blocking caps on the input--Right or Wrong?

TIA,   George

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #357 of 440
dear audiocats,
i have a toshiba opamp stax-001 i would like to upgrade. i already bypassed input caps becouse my source has not dc signal.
becouse in italy is difficult to find caps for c7 c8 c27 c28 c6 upgrade you suggest, i would ask you if you could sell me those caps. I will pay caps and shipping
bset regards
francesco

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #360 of 440

Does anyone know if I need DC blocking caps for a line out from a Sansa Fuze feeding into a modified SR-001MKII?  The fuze lod diy thread shows two versions--one with and without 200uf caps.  I tried 220 uf Nichicon nonpolar electrolytics, but the sound quality suffers even after patching in a small film cap in parallel.

btw, I talked with a Stax dealer earlier this year.  He said they would be coming out with a new driver unit at the end of the year, and that they would be using the same ear speaker as the current version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back