The "Soundstage" Thread
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by winsonli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be right to say that if the song is recorded with individual microphones for each instrument, I should not expect a good soundstage?

That depends on mixing too.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by winsonli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be right to say that if the song is recorded with individual microphones for each instrument, I should not expect a good soundstage?

This is basically true. If the mics are placed only inches away from each instrument, you shoud basically perceive each instrument only that many inches away. Mixing affects that by panning left or right, reducing volumes of some instruments (makes them sound relatively further away), adding reverb to specific instruments (also creates effect of being further away). This will create artificial soundstage, of course, because the actual, uneditted soundstage information is that each instrument is only inches away from the mics (your ears) and you should hear each instrument in the center of your head.

Then there is the issue of bleed over. If the instruments are all recorded together in the same room or stage and each has its own mic, each mic will not only pick up the instrument directly in front of it, it will also pick up most of the other surrounding instruments, and with the distance information in tact. So you should be able to get some sort of an idea of soundstage through that. Although if there are that many mics each with its own soundstage information, this would be one really messed up recording, which is why this method of recording is rarely used and requires serious editting. You will get a sense of space but you will not be able to place where instruments are, and you will not know where you are located within the mess, because you have an ear in front of each instrument.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #19 of 22
If the instruments are recorded individually in an anechoic chamber, an excellent soundstage can be created using various effects. As long as the recording is high quality, just about any type of acoustic environment can be artificially created in the studio, with enough effort. I still prefer the oldskool recording techniques though, the room just seems more organic to my ears.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #20 of 22
Thanks for the explanations.

I was never able to locate where each instrument is. Now after reading this thread I think it is a problem with the music I listen to. I believe most Cantonese and Japanese pop were not recorded with SQ (including soundstage) as the highest priority.

I have another question. Does crossfeed have anything to do with soundstage? For non-binaural recordings, the left and right channels do not partially overlap when heard with headphones, and thus the soundstage could not be perceived by the brain I suppose.

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #21 of 22
I'm not sure if any of you headfi-ers on here are familiar with IASCA (International Auto Sound Challenge Assoc) in which I compete in. Basically our SQ competitions in which your sound system is judged for your vehicle, there is a standardized CD that judges use to measure tonality, imaging, and sound stage. We mainly focus on how wide and deep your sound stage is, cars are set up for FSS (front stage sound systems). We also have sound stage maps for certain tracks, a visual diagram for where certain instruments should be heard to be coming from. I'll take a picture and post it up.

Listening to certain CDs in my car, sure does sound a lot different from using my headphones. I think it's harder to produce an accurate FSS with headphones mainly with their design. When I'm using headphones, although there is more detail and better tonality, imaging and sound stage are usually off. It seems more like the sound is wrapping around your head in small little semi circle (kind of like a rainbow effect, except the sound is not dropping down, it's curving off).

random

random

random

random

random

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #22 of 22
munkeeboi83;3295886 said:
I'm not sure if any of you headfi-ers on here are familiar with IASCA (International Auto Sound Challenge Assoc) in which I compete in. Basically our SQ competitions in which your sound system is judged for your vehicle, there is a standardized CD that judges use to measure tonality, imaging, and sound stage. We mainly focus on how wide and deep your sound stage is, cars are set up for FSS (front stage sound systems). We also have sound stage maps for certain tracks, a visual diagram for where certain instruments should be heard to be coming from. I'll take a picture and post it up.

Listening to certain CDs in my car, sure does sound a lot different from using my headphones. I think it's harder to produce an accurate FSS with headphones mainly with their design. When I'm using headphones, although there is more detail and better tonality, imaging and sound stage are usually off. It seems more like the sound is wrapping around your head in small little semi circle (kind of like a rainbow effect, except the sound is not dropping down, it's curving off).

It looks like my pictures didn't work, so I'll post up the links to each one, since I don't know how to post up images here.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4470Custom.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4471Custom.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4472Custom.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4473Custom.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4474Custom.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back