The Soundstage Head Club
Dec 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #361 of 439
Fostex TH900 are good...

thanks for helping, but these ones i cannot buy.

i checked all lists of what i can get, and here is a list:
ultrasone edition 8
ultrasone signature dj
audio tehnica ath w5000
audio tehnica ath w1000x
audio tehnica ath w900xltd
ath a900x
akg k550
akg k272hd
ath ad900
denon ah-d7100
denon ah d5000

i wanted a sound that would be as close as possible to hd800 [i simply cannot them or other open back]. i read about every model listed here, almost all reviews that were posted around head-fi. cannot seem to bring myself to get an answer. One of the reasons i am limited to these models is the option to return them if i am not totally pleased. other options include warranty, which is pretty good if i don't buy from outside.

i am searching, basically for the best soundstage possible, treble, detail, separation, not forward mids, and not much bass. 

and for iems i can get either ie800 or akg k3003. 

EDIT::: i have not seen anybody mention anything about pandora hope VI. i have not even considered them, but it seems that i might be able to grab a pair of these, but likeways with most of what i have to choose, it will be without testing before buyinng, and return is a hassle. how is the soundstage?..

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #362 of 439
can i ask again, because my search is yet to come to a conclusion, what is the best closed back headphone, considering soundstage as it's main feature?..

I would only offer a suggestion that you give the Alpha Prime from MrSpeakers a listen. I auditioned them at a recent HF meet and was impressed with their soundstage (head stage?) as well as sound. Though not open, they do have a couple of other characteristics that tend to help in this area: larger cup and the above average distance of driver from ear (thx to the wonderful Alpha Pads).

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #363 of 439

Like the HD800, it also have a massive soundstage. Not quite as big, but it is close, imaging is where the K812 trails behind the HD800. With the HD800, everything sounds like they are coming from the front, rather than sides. To me, it is the most speaker-like presentation headphone I've ever tried, and don't get me wrong, it also image sound coming from sides and rear brilliantly.

The only advantage the K812 have over the HD800 in regard to soundstage is its holographic presentation. It's quite hard to put into words, but the holographic presentation makes the K812 sounds more, much more natural than the HD800.

Hmm, I'm a hell of an AKG fan boy so I'll definitely check them out any chance i get (cant buy them though)

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #364 of 439
  thanks for helping, but these ones i cannot buy.

i checked all lists of what i can get, and here is a list:
ultrasone edition 8
ultrasone signature dj
audio tehnica ath w5000
audio tehnica ath w1000x
audio tehnica ath w900xltd
ath a900x
akg k550
akg k272hd
ath ad900
denon ah-d7100
denon ah d5000

i wanted a sound that would be as close as possible to hd800 [i simply cannot them or other open back]. i read about every model listed here, almost all reviews that were posted around head-fi. cannot seem to bring myself to get an answer. One of the reasons i am limited to these models is the option to return them if i am not totally pleased. other options include warranty, which is pretty good if i don't buy from outside.

i am searching, basically for the best soundstage possible, treble, detail, separation, not forward mids, and not much bass. 

and for iems i can get either ie800 or akg k3003. 

EDIT::: i have not seen anybody mention anything about pandora hope VI. i have not even considered them, but it seems that i might be able to grab a pair of these, but likeways with most of what i have to choose, it will be without testing before buyinng, and return is a hassle. how is the soundstage?..

The lesser priced SRH940 would be in line with what you are describing.
It's hard to get a soundstage like the HD800 with a closed design but I recommend trying out TB Isone which improves depth and imaging remarkably.
That stuff is not a gimmick when finely calibrated.
The problem with the SRH940 is build.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #365 of 439
Hey guys. Has any of you compared Ultrasone Pro 2900 to HD800? I love Ultrasone's S-logic. I'm so used to it now, everything else sounds, "claustrophobic" (if it makes any sense :)
I'd love to try the HD800, but I cannot get one to try and it is a very pricey gamble to buy one.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #366 of 439
  Hey guys. Has any of you compared Ultrasone Pro 2900 to HD800? I love Ultrasone's S-logic. I'm so used to it now, everything else sounds, "claustrophobic" (if it makes any sense :)
I'd love to try the HD800, but I cannot get one to try and it is a very pricey gamble to buy one.

if you have a good amp, hd800 has larger soundstage... and a good amp can be even fiio e12. just to have enough power. but hd800 in my experience, is just amazing.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #367 of 439
  if you have a good amp, hd800 has larger soundstage... and a good amp can be even fiio e12. just to have enough power. but hd800 in my experience, is just amazing.

Thanks :)  It just happens I have the Fiio E12. It would be a good idea to take the E12 and my pro 2900 to a local dealer and compare them to HD800 there. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #369 of 439
  Yes.

Remember that hd800 can benefit from a better amp, but until then, E12 can bring a good amount of what hd800 are capable of.

If you are low on cash I much rather recommend going the vintage route of NAD or Yamaha från the 70s or 80s with the HD800.
I much rather listen to the Yamaha CR-620 than the Schiit Vali for example. There is just so much 'epicness' with this unit. 
The sound boosts the bass by quite a bit but the HD800 needs it. Very powerful, clear and smooth sound. The NAD's is perhaps easier to get a hold of and sounds more controlled but still a good synergy with the clinical HD800. It has a blacker background as well.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #370 of 439

If you are low on cash I much rather recommend going the vintage route of NAD or Yamaha från the 70s or 80s with the HD800.
I much rather listen to the Yamaha CR-620 than the Schiit Vali for example. There is just so much 'epicness' with this unit. 
The sound boosts the bass by quite a bit but the HD800 needs it. Very powerful, clear and smooth sound. The NAD's is perhaps easier to get a hold of and sounds more controlled but still a good synergy with the clinical HD800. It has a blacker background as well.

i love the fact that the sound of hd800 has recessed bass and mids... 

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #372 of 439

I suggest listening to one yourself before writing them of. You could get a NAD for under 50 bucks. Not sure about the situation in Romania though...

not, i could not... the hd800 were amped with fiio e12 and matrix m-stage hpa-2, for what i have loved the best... i also tried with woo audio wa5 and wes.. mostly woo audio, and chord were avalaible for higher prices, and for lower prices, i particulary enjoyed the hpa-2 for some reason. the bass was much more in quantity and quality in the sub bass region, with a little recessed 100hz region [i particulary loved this thing], and the mids were recesed, not as much as with other amps, but the soundstage, was amazing, like a landscape, of sounds, not just an area.

the background with hpa-2 was particulary black for my ears. other seemed to add some grain, or color to the background... 
E12 was amazing at driving hd800, the differences were mostly in volume, [again, this to my ears]..

the way music notes were sounding, with hd800, everything sounds natural, like it is sang from the instrument... thing which was the reason for that i have not bought them. i like much more the way my ultrasones put the music. it is hard to explain.. i ultimately got to the point where i am going to buy signature dj, because they are the ultimate shape of what i already love.

hd800 was much more natural, and had a larger soundstage and blacker background with all the amps i tried. it is just that i like mine more for some reason [i really enjoy bright sound]

with the NAD, or yamaha i could not get a chance to listen, it was not in the showroom. in fact, the showroom has particular amps, because here, only amps that are particular searched for are brought. usually, i enjoy everything and consider the store with showroom to be one of the best that will ever be. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #373 of 439
  not, i could not... the hd800 were amped with fiio e12 and matrix m-stage hpa-2, for what i have loved the best... i also tried with woo audio wa5 and wes.. mostly woo audio, and chord were avalaible for higher prices, and for lower prices, i particulary enjoyed the hpa-2 for some reason. the bass was much more in quantity and quality in the sub bass region, with a little recessed 100hz region [i particulary loved this thing], and the mids were recesed, not as much as with other amps, but the soundstage, was amazing, like a landscape, of sounds, not just an area.

the background with hpa-2 was particulary black for my ears. other seemed to add some grain, or color to the background... 
E12 was amazing at driving hd800, the differences were mostly in volume, [again, this to my ears]..

the way music notes were sounding, with hd800, everything sounds natural, like it is sang from the instrument... thing which was the reason for that i have not bought them. i like much more the way my ultrasones put the music. it is hard to explain.. i ultimately got to the point where i am going to buy signature dj, because they are the ultimate shape of what i already love.

hd800 was much more natural, and had a larger soundstage and blacker background with all the amps i tried. it is just that i like mine more for some reason [i really enjoy bright sound]

with the NAD, or yamaha i could not get a chance to listen, it was not in the showroom. in fact, the showroom has particular amps, because here, only amps that are particular searched for are brought. usually, i enjoy everything and consider the store with showroom to be one of the best that will ever be. 

WA5 really? With descent tubes and upgrades that thing is over 4000.
You can't listen to these vintage amps/receivers in normal audio stores. You have to get one from the used market and hope it's in descent sonic condition or restore it yourself.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #374 of 439

WA5 really? With descent tubes and upgrades that thing is over 4000.
You can't listen to these vintage amps/receivers in normal audio stores. You have to get one from the used market and hope it's in descent sonic condition or restore it yourself.

wa5 was interesting, but again, for some reason, i am not really into how tube amp sounds like...

i am sorry, i misunderstood about the reply earlier... i also do not go for vintage, usually because we don't have them around here.. this country was communist until 1989, so no audio equipment imported up to that date, and only around 2000, the industry started getting on the right track...

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #375 of 439
Hi,

Would just like to know is there a iem that is rich/warm (but not bass heavy or very dark/congested either because I do like some brightness in the upper mids/treble as well) and also has full/forward sounding vocals with a large soundstage? Also imaging, speed, timbre and realism is also very important to me as well. Currently I am looking at the Sony 7550/800ST, do you guys think they suit my preferences? Or would you recommend something else instead? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back