The Sony S638f....My little review.....Its awesome!
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #48 of 197
Really, don't see how anyone could not like this little player, especially at the price. It has great build quality and a super responsive menu and great sound and video (even on such a small screen). The 818 got high praise and for good reason. This is the a818 with a better screen (more vibrant) and less hiss (none apparent with shure e530 with eq off, and a very slight hiss with eq on). And to my ears a little fuller sounding and detailed than a818 with e530, good stuff. Plus you have many sound enhancements, if you like that sort of thing
evil_smiley.gif
Plus it's drag and drop, my only wish would be ogg and flac support- I can live with 16 gigs. I can only imagine how good it would sound with a lossless codec.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #49 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to use a 5% off code (there are lots online) to get another 5 GBP off.

Not sur to what you're referring here? Are you speaking about Amazon or advancedmp3players.com or both?

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #50 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, don't see how anyone could not like this little player, especially at the price. It has great build quality and a super responsive menu and great sound and video (even on such a small screen). The 818 got high praise and for good reason. This is the a818 with a better screen (more vibrant) and less hiss (none apparent with shure e530 with eq off, and a very slight hiss with eq on). And to my ears a little fuller sounding and detailed than a818 with e530, good stuff. Plus you have many sound enhancements, if you like that sort of thing
evil_smiley.gif
Plus it's drag and drop, my only wish would be ogg and flac support- I can live with 16 gigs. I can only imagine how good it would sound with a lossless codec.

Can this unit play lossless WMA 9 files?

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #51 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the Advanced MP3 Players price will still be that low at the end of February? It's between this and Phonak Audeo's for the birthday list. If the price stays where it is, I'll just buy the Phonaks myself!

And should I even bother getting the Clip just for the FLAC support and soundstage?

Quoted for recognition.

Also, do you guys think Sony will add FLAC support in a future firmware?

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #52 of 197
Could someone just explain to me what is meant by a 'matte' finish? Is that alternating materials in the build ie like metal and with plastic parts?

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #53 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone just explain to me what is meant by a 'matte' finish? Is that alternating materials in the build ie like metal and with plastic parts?

Matte = not shiny. It's more of a "smooth" look.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #54 of 197
Quote:

Its metal with a sort of flat texture, semi smooth. As opposed to brushed which has lines through it.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #55 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can this unit play lossless WMA 9 files?

I don't think so, I think wav is it.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #56 of 197
Ah right! The clue was in 'finish' I suppose lol. With that clarification, though brushed metal would be preferrable, matte (which I think is whats used on my NWZ-A829) I could easily settle for, if thats the physical aethetic differance between the S639 and S739 versions. The noise-cancelling feature I don't really need.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #57 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so, I think wave is it.

So it DOES support a lossless codec?

But WAV is crappy because I have to use WMP (which means no secure ripping). Shiz.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #58 of 197
WAV files are giant aswell. FLAC would definately be preferrable but a minor complaint as far as I'm concerned (I am perfectly happy using 320 Kbps mp3's).

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #59 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it DOES support a lossless codec?

But WAV is crappy because I have to use WMP (which means no secure ripping). Shiz.

Yes it does support wav, lol . but wav file size are huge, compared to say flac.

Buy the way, the price on Advance is now up to 126.96 GBP. Congrats to those that got it on the cheap
beerchug.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #60 of 197
Quote:

WAV files are giant aswell. FLAC would definately be preferrable but a minor complaint as far as I'm concerned (I am perfectly happy using 320 Kbps mp3's).

True, it's very minor, even 224 and above lame vbr sounds awesome. But we Headfi'ers always want more
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back