The Sony S638f....My little review.....Its awesome!
Nov 17, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #91 of 197
That's a really nice player!
L3000.gif
I can't wait for the s639 to land in the U.S. It seems that it might take a while tho considering the current supply situation.

Now I just need to sell my a829 b/c I do not use video or bluetooth.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #93 of 197
Since no one is responding to my thread, could someone compare the S-series to the Clip/Fuze in terms of:

-detail
-transparency
-sound signature
-soundstaging

All of those are enormously important to me.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #95 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since no one is responding to my thread, could someone compare the S-series to the Clip/Fuze in terms of:

-detail
-transparency
-sound signature
-soundstaging

All of those are enormously important to me.

Once I get my s639f I will be able to give you some comparison.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #96 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once I get my s639f I will be able to give you some comparison.

Thank you! When do you expect to get it? I don't just have holes burning in my pockets ready to buy this thing, they're completely set ablaze. I don't want to pay more for less of the kind of sound I like, though.

I hope there are black ones still in stock by the time you compare them for me. I need to buy that thing! And the silver is just, ugghhh..

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #97 of 197
Quote:

Thank you! When do you expect to get it? I don't just have holes burning in my pockets ready to buy this thing, they're completely set ablaze. I don't want to pay more for less of the kind of sound I like, though.

I hope there are black ones still in stock by the time you compare them for me. I need to buy that thing! And the silver is just, ugghhh..

I ordered the silver, lol thought it be a nice change and like I said in another post, I carried around an orange /creme w800i for 2 years and grew quite fond of the look
biggrin.gif
I really don't think you have to worry about them running out of black either, it's probably what they have the most of.

I also have a fuze and would rate the sony "slightly" ahead of it, a little fuller sounding and more 3d soundstage and a touch more treble energy. Both good sounding though, sony eq is better for sure. They both have different sound signatures though, to bad you can't compare them at a local store. Detail goes to sony, transparency to the clip, and soundstage goes to sony, even though fuze has a wide soundstage, the sony has wide plus more 3d. Kind of like a cowon d2 places the instruments in separate space, but wider. Thats how my ears hear it. I do think the clip/fuze would drive higher imp. cans better, but the sony can drive my senn 595 really loud- not the hardest to drive cans though. Both fine daps, you get more bells and whistles with the sony and better screen/video, but the fuze is really amazing for the price and takes micro sd of course. If I had to keep one though it would be the sony.

All this provided the s6xx sound the same as the s7xx, because I have s7xx right now.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #98 of 197
Could you describe the sound signatures real quick? A description is all I need.

I want the most transparent sounding one, basically. If neither of them is transparent, your description will be very important and I will be extremely grateful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #99 of 197
define transparency. The fuze and clip frequency response is as flat as it can be. flat flat flat. Straight line flat. Flatter than any other source. Does this count as transparent?

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #100 of 197
Quote:

define transparency. The fuze and clip frequency response is as flat as it can be. flat flat flat. Straight line flat. Flatter than any other source. Does this count as transparent?

Yep sony sounds a little less flat.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #101 of 197
Quote:

Could you describe the sound signatures real quick? A description is all I need.

I want the most transparent sounding one, basically. If neither of them is transparent, your description will be very important and I will be extremely grateful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep DJ is right clip/fuze sounds pretty flat, but no bass roll off so it still has a good low end. Sony sounds a little deeper and a little more sparkle in the treble. I would bet the sound is tweaked a little on the sony, but it still has remarkable imaging and detail. Also if someone finds the service menu, you could take the tweaks off, like the a818. Then it would be more transparent. I hope I am explaining this o.k. I also want to add, the s series sounds more natural and smooth airy than my a818 did out of the box.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #102 of 197
I am actually hoping for the extra treble energy. I find the fuze/clip to be toooo flat. I like a little more treble energy. I also find the Cowon D2 to be treble shy.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #103 of 197
Quote:

I am actually hoping for the extra treble energy. I find the fuze/clip to be toooo flat. I like a little more treble energy. I also find the Cowon D2 to be treble shy.

In that case I think your really going to like the s639
wink.gif
. I had a d2 for a long time, just a little to "clinical" sounding for me. I still have cowon u2 though and still love the sound.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #104 of 197
Hi guys, new here first post. I was thinking of starting a thread, but i might as well ask here. Thinking of getting the DAP in the title but I would like to know, if anyone has tried this with a pair of cx500s game edition? It's what I have right now, and as much as I would like better buds, importing would be the only option here.. VAT will kill me. I saw Shure e2gs but I couldn't audition them so i went with the cx500s.

Anyway. would those IEMs (cx500) be compatible with the player? I wouldn't like my music to sound muffled or so. I read somewhere that cx300s aren't recommended. THanks guys in advance

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #105 of 197
The muffled sound you don't want would have more to do with the earphones than the player (though I guess the player could make it worse/better). CX300 are renowned for an overpowering, muddy bass, not sure about the CX500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back