The Sony MDR-SA5000 Thread
Sep 11, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #226 of 413
New to the SA5000 owners club. I bought them and, due to resounding negative appraisals of the stock cable, had them immediately shipped to Moon Audio to be recabled with balanced Black Dragon. I have put about 125 hours on them now and they seem to be breaking in nicely. Initial impressions...

1. Even tonal balance, although perhaps a touch on the bright side. Seems quite dependant on the recording.
2. Terrific reproduction of detail. Definitely not a forgiving headphone. Let's you know exactly what is on the recording or problems with the upstream components.
3. Space and air in spades. The imaging and headstaging are some of its best attributes. Makes many other headphones I have heard, even some highly regarded ones, seem closed-in by comparison.
4. Although slightly lacking in body, instrumental and vocal textures are rendered extremely well. Excellent with female vocals.

Overall, I am quite pleased and am hoping for a little more refinement with continued break-in (although I don't expect significant changes). I will post some direct comparisons once they have 100-200 more hours of break-in.

Sep 11, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #227 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pumped.

i bought SA5000 today.

the female vocals on this phone is so beautiful and yet analytical!

one of the amazing things i like most is the details

i can hear a lot of things that i couldnt notice before.

the bass is the best part of SA5000

so tight so deep

just my first impression

totally agree! I have exactly the same impression and I rate it at one of the best headphones that are currently in production, along with HD650. The absolute king is STAX 007 Omega II, but it's electrostats
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #229 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I just stated in another post,
aside from my IEMs,
the pair of Sony CD3000 that I owned . . .

I am wondering, does anyone here own both and can give a direct comparison? There is some talk in this thread of them using similar drivers, and I would really like to try to get a taste of these on the cheap (CD1Ks going for ~$50ish) since the 5K sound like a headphone I would love.

The FR graphs don't seem to want to let me get off so easy though
frown.gif

mdrsa5000fkw2.gif

cd1000vl1.jpg

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #230 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Top headphones in my opinion[/size]:
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

IMG_7593_02.jpg

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

But man, the SA5K really does look like a hambeast in that company.

Also, no Grado HP love
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #232 of 413
I must also make a comment about Drew's work. The materials (Neutrik balanced connectors and Furutech single ended 1/4" headphone termination) are top notch and the workmanship is terrific. I have had a few different headphones recabled by Drew at Moon Audio and cannot recommend him highly enough.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #233 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must also make a comment about Drew's work. The materials (Neutrik balanced connectors and Furutech single ended 1/4" headphone termination) are top notch and the workmanship is terrific. I have had a few different headphones recabled by Drew at Moon Audio and cannot recommend him highly enough.

Alex recabled mine, & I couldn't be happier. My are balanced as well.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #234 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New to the SA5000 owners club. I bought them and, due to resounding negative appraisals of the stock cable, had them immediately shipped to Moon Audio to be recabled with balanced Black Dragon. I have put about 125 hours on them now and they seem to be breaking in nicely. Initial impressions...

1. Even tonal balance, although perhaps a touch on the bright side. Seems quite dependant on the recording.
2. Terrific reproduction of detail. Definitely not a forgiving headphone. Let's you know exactly what is on the recording or problems with the upstream components.
3. Space and air in spades. The imaging and headstaging are some of its best attributes. Makes many other headphones I have heard, even some highly regarded ones, seem closed-in by comparison.
4. Although slightly lacking in body, instrumental and vocal textures are rendered extremely well. Excellent with female vocals.

Overall, I am quite pleased and am hoping for a little more refinement with continued break-in (although I don't expect significant changes). I will post some direct comparisons once they have 100-200 more hours of break-in.

I am also planning to recable the SA5K by myself. I am wondering any big different between a blue dragon and black dragon for SA5K. probably, I will order a balanced Qualia blue dragon and terminated the SA5K with similar connector.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #235 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pumped.

i bought SA5000 today.

the female vocals on this phone is so beautiful and yet analytical!

one of the amazing things i like most is the details

i can hear a lot of things that i couldnt notice before.

the bass is the best part of SA5000

so tight so deep

just my first impression

surprised you said the bass is deep, I've auditioned a couple sony SA series, and personally own the 3000's. I find the whole line 1000,3000,5000 are quite bright, and the bass although tight isn't very dark or deep

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #236 of 413
The SA5k is like good liquor; appreciated by some, wasted on others. ..
sure, all cans sound better over time but I loved these out of the box from day one..
Thanks to Drew and a Black Dragon re-cable it just got more seriously fun...

From email to Moon Audio

"Drew,
Just wanted you to know I am happy with my SA5K re-cable. The Sony's sound smooth, deeper now. I know because I had to readjust my equalizer presets when I got them back. In fact I had to lower my bass almost 4 dB in the 64Hz -125Hz range. The mids are slightly improved as well. Overall, a good investment."

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #237 of 413
SA5000's bass is deep and impactful yet not overwhelming like HD650, almost perfect IMO.

I agree that female vocal from SA5000 is just heartachingly beautiful. Only comparable headphones are HD600 and HE90. Better than R10
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #239 of 413
I love the musicality, speed, and detail of these cans. I definitely believe that this is the most detail you can get out of a sub $400 can. The comfort and look is also a plus.

That being said, there is something that I don't like about them. Does anyone else notice that the sound seems slightly less forward than say a k701? This may be a plus or negative for some, but for me it is the only negative of this can. I prefer a forward presentation, but it is very close to where I want it. It just isn't exactly there so it is frustrating. lol

Dec 20, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #240 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the musicality, speed, and detail of these cans. I definitely believe that this is the most detail you can get out of a sub $400 can. The comfort and look is also a plus.

That being said, there is something that I don't like about them. Does anyone else notice that the sound seems slightly less forward than say a k701? This may be a plus or negative for some, but for me it is the only negative of this can. I prefer a forward presentation, but it is very close to where I want it. It just isn't exactly there so it is frustrating. lol

The DT880's & 340's should be mentioned too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back