The Sony MDR-SA5000 Thread
Apr 10, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #286 of 413
what mods?

Closed back mod with a vinyl piece to block the cup black backgrill, this brings back more bass/body but its still semi open as the porous black baffle still leak sound.
Taping with wall repair papertape to any bare (smooth) metal/plastic surface in the inner cup chamber and drivers to absorb reflecting soundwaves.
And add litlle (BAF) wadding inside chamber to stop inner standing waves, these will reduce that "hazy uncontrolled" brightness "swinging/chirping" artifacts.

Without the mod, the stock brightness is too overwelming makes it overall thin/shrill/crystal sounding, can't compare it as reallife sounding.
After the mod the bass brings overall in a "perfect" tonal balance and much better controlled crispy brightness, now I can compare it as lifelike sounding!

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #287 of 413
It depends on what you mean by best that I've heard haha. I have the HD 650, but I like the SA5000 a lot more. And it really isn't that fatiguing to me, but then again a lot of the music I listen to seems to be acoustic, so it really isn't a kind of music that  would be fatiguing in my opinion. I really love them and they've been getting a lot of use :)

Sounds like you didn't hear the WOW lifelike signature thats possible after the mod.

Be honest the overwhelmed brightness and thin bass spoiled the sound to be reallife sounding!
You probably used EQ to make listenable?

I don't use EQ and everything sounds lifelike, whether music/gaming/movies/youtube etc. I hear/feel like I am middle into action hearing it in reallife!

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #288 of 413
Closed back mod with a vinyl piece to block the cup black backgrill, this brings back more bass/body but its still semi open as the porous black baffle still leak sound.
Taping with wall repair papertape to any bare (smooth) metal/plastic surface in the inner cup chamber and drivers to absorb reflecting soundwaves.
And add litlle (BAF) wadding inside chamber to stop inner standing waves, these will reduce that "hazy uncontrolled" brightness "swinging/chirping" artifacts.

Without the mod, the stock brightness is too overwelming makes it overall thin/shrill/crystal sounding, can't compare it as reallife sounding.
After the mod the bass brings overall in a "perfect" tonal balance and much better controlled crispy brightness, now I can compare it as lifelike sounding!

Would you mind taking some close up pics of this?  I may try it on mine.  Owning both denon lawton modded da5k, mm400, audeze el-8c and oppo pm-3 makes me favor less analytical, less neutral type of cans.  The SA5K's are still my fav all time comfort headphones, and would love to see if this mod brings that full body music that i feel is missing with the 5k.  

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #289 of 413
  Would you mind taking some close up pics of this?  I may try it on mine.  Owning both denon lawton modded da5k, mm400, audeze el-8c and oppo pm-3 makes me favor less analytical, less neutral type of cans.  The SA5K's are still my fav all time comfort headphones, and would love to see if this mod brings that full body music that i feel is missing with the 5k.  

Hi, Thanks for recalling, as I opened up the hp, omg I didn't finished the FULL taping for like at least half year forgotten.
-AMAZING after the FULL mod, treble sounds tighter, there used to be that sustained treble spikes are now reduced/gone.

You know what Im talking about! when you try to listen with High Volume, the Treble becomes pierching treble distorted mess, caused by the innerchamber soundreflections that distort the diaphragm excursion.
I have these loudnesswar clipped tracks that I couldn't listen/tolerate at high volume before the pierching fatique attack.
-Now I CAN listen to all with very loud volume without fatique, Treble stayed tight relaxed, now I can hear even more of all that tiny subtle reverb of the recording environments.
-I can hear the air/space, the size of the environments, be it indoor/outdoor/studio/concerthall/theater etc. just like real-life sounds with air and (empty) space distinction between various directional sounds, AMAZING I LIKE!
-Tonal balance is "perfect" now, after the first closed mod I can hear enough (subwoofer) bass and even deep bass that you can only feel without any hp frame/cup resonances/microphonics, even more perfect lifelike sounding.   
Pics:

Some velt strips added to stop soundreflections caused by the hard smooth plastics, need to cover the smooth edges too, but the clothed earpads covers most parts, so maybe later.

The black baffle don't need taped as they are fabrics, done it to get that cozy warm carpeted movietheater acoustic feel?
If you want more bass (resonance) don't need the center BAF wadding as SA5000 driver has way less bass because the driver black velt damping ring!

I used vinyl piece 2mm thick, cut the blackpaper cover of the backgrill, punch the rounded vinyl through the hole to fill up till the backgrill ends, you can put the blackpaper at the end of the backgrill to cover the vinyl from outside view.

Stupid Sony didn't used mirrored L/R cups, now drivers/bass hole are not symetric.
Notice the driver white damping ring, these are SA3000 drivers as the 1 original SA5000 was blowned.
Now SA5000 have a thick black velt damping ring, the reason SA3000 has more bass and less pierching/pulsing/spiking treble than SA5000!

Just cover all bare parts!

Get rid of the flacky pleather to bare clothed fabrics, good at absorbing excess treble energy and reveal good bass.

Finished, Enjoy dynamic, vibrant, lifelike SQ!

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #290 of 413
Sounds like you didn't hear the WOW lifelike signature thats possible after the mod.

Be honest the overwhelmed brightness and thin bass spoiled the sound to be reallife sounding!
You probably used EQ to make listenable?

I don't use EQ and everything sounds lifelike, whether music/gaming/movies/youtube etc. I hear/feel like I am middle into action hearing it in reallife!

I am being honest, haha. I don't think they are out of this world, wow factor, but I do love them and they're my favorite headphone so far. And no, I haven't EQ'd them so far, although I might in the future

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #295 of 413
Man, I remember when these SA3000's were being blown out for $140 on Amazon.... I never got a chance to hear one. Anyone willing to let me borrow theirs?

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #296 of 413
A "cheap" used SA3000 on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA3000-Headband-Headphones-Black-/161815205378?hash=item25acf01602

Starting bid:
US $120.00
+$27.62 shipping
[ 0 bids ]

Buy It Now
Price:
US $160.00
---
The last new SA3000 goes up in price to 989.99!

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #297 of 413
These are truly phenomenal. I just got mine, and after cdsa35000 mods, I am blown away. These are ways too under-appreciated. I am sure true audiophiles will seek them out later just as much as the CD3000 and R10 legendary HP.

It is unbelievable to have this kind of performance for less than what the Z7 would cost $500.....wow!

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #299 of 413
SA5000 ebaybid $349:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA5000-/271979774982
$_57.JPG

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #300 of 413
Sony have some serious problem with the damping at the grill itself. The paper dampener over the grill is not tensioned. It wobbles and pops if you press into it. I stuffed a cotton facial pad into the cup, which it fits perfectly, it seems to help with the fatigues and somehow helped the texture too.

Totally reversible and may worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back