The Sony MDR-RF985RK and others with proprietary batteries
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SkinnyOldGuy

New Head-Fier
I need a respectable pair of general-purpose headphones, and one of the Sony MDR-RF985RKs that people are unloading on ebay seem to be a perfect choice.  I've never been really stiffed by Sony.

Although, that's not to say it couldn't happen.  These cans apparently have non-user-replaceable batteries, and I'm pretty confident that the sets on ebay are there because they need batteries.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sony MDR-RF985RK, and replacing the battery in it?  Is it a battery that is accessible from somewhere like Batteries Plus or Mouser?

Thanks

Sog

PS  I'm going to be throwing a $700 CD player in the trash because the laser diode is worn out and there are no new replacements.  Dig that.  The laser, by the way, was made by Sony.

May 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 3
mdr-rf985rk has a 3.7 v lithium-ion battery, 610mHa (3x4x0.5cm=2x1.5x1/4") that is wired in. Go to L(left) designated side, remove ear cup and three screws (small phillips/star screwdriver) on the inner facing (note positions). Careful! wires are short, then remove one screw on the green CPU-type board (note position of LED lights) under which is a black plastic covered battery pack with two additional silver screws. Either remove battery or cut the red (+) and black (-) wires close to it. Now remove the outer facing with the logo by prying out plastic snaps with flat screwdriver. Feed the red/black wires into outer area via the holes at the perimeter of the chassis. Replace all screws. Find similar battery (which I am unable to locate at present) or wire in an AA or AAA battery holder, fixed at the outside face with tape, etc. Soldering is, of course, best; metallic epoxy might work; and use nickel metal hydrate rechargeable batteries which should perform OK. Forget replacing outer face.... Best....hgh  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back