The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jun 11, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #2,911 of 3,003
It still sounds quite nice. Sony did a great job with the sound circuitry and features. I just get annoyed with the battery only being enough for a single session or so with the hi-res toggle turned on even tho maybe I shouldn't care. If it charged a bit faster and supported wireless charging it would be nicer, too.

Still, it's a good design. The only thing missing from it other than getting a solution to the battery life is a 4.4mm balanced jack with a bit more power so it could do well on some more exotic IEMs with unusual driver combinations.

We are way past time for a successor to it tho.
I do agree with your findings with the sony having not as much power i wish it does have more power but it is a charscteristic of sony players to have lower than the standard for power (even on the wm1a and wm1z i found they needed a bit more juice to fully drive iems). Of all my iems the oriolus are the only oones that can be fully be driven off the a105 (but when i plug those iems on to my primary dap it really does scale more).

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #2,912 of 3,003
Lately, i have been using my 3.5 cables more than my 4.4 cables but thats mainly because i like the 3.5 on my primary dap.

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #2,913 of 3,003
I do agree with your findings with the sony having not as much power i wish it does have more power but it is a charscteristic of sony players to have lower than the standard for power (even on the wm1a and wm1z i found they needed a bit more juice to fully drive iems). Of all my iems the oriolus are the only oones that can be fully be driven off the a105 (but when i plug those iems on to my primary dap it really does scale more).

Yeah I've noticed that. It's about protecting people's hearing or something tho, because if I go back to my walkmans from the 1980s, the cassette players, the outputs on those things were incredibly loud compared to modern players.

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #2,914 of 3,003
Has anyone noticed increased battery usage with Apple Music lossless streaming? I had a few hours last night and with Apple Music was using near 40% in an hour. Switching to UAPP Tidal lossless streaming was around 10% an hour. What’s up with AM?!

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #2,915 of 3,003
Has anyone noticed increased battery usage with Apple Music lossless streaming? I had a few hours last night and with Apple Music was using near 40% in an hour. Switching to UAPP Tidal lossless streaming was around 10% an hour. What’s up with AM?!

I don't use Apple Music, but with Tidal it'll eat the battery up no problem. I can get enough charge to last me several hours tho and it's probably best for your hearing you don't have longer sessions than that anyway.

I can literally take it when it's 100 and just moving around a few menus is enough to take it down to 97 percent. That's just how the device is, and I have everything turned off and tweaked, lol.

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #2,916 of 3,003
Hi. I have an a105 on order and plan to use Apple Music and Spotify as download sources and then shut off the wifi to save battery life.

I was curious if once I download from Apple Music and Spotify if I could access and play those downloads using the default Sony Walkman app (because I love its UI and the cassette animation -- plus I hear that using it is another way to extend battery).

Would this work?

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #2,917 of 3,003
Hi. I have an a105 on order and plan to use Apple Music and Spotify as download sources and then shut off the wifi to save battery life.

I was curious if once I download from Apple Music and Spotify if I could access and play those downloads using the default Sony Walkman app (because I love its UI and the cassette animation -- plus I hear that using it is another way to extend battery).

Would this work?

Thanks!
I don't think you can do that. As far as I know the default app will not play third party app files downloaded for offline use.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #2,918 of 3,003
You can't do that, no. You can play them using their respective Apps tho, which should be fine.

And no, cassette animation isn't available when using Apps.

Do what everyone does. Steal the music you like online and throw it on there.

Jul 21, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #2,920 of 3,003
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #2,922 of 3,003
NW-A105 is the currently Sony Android DAP at its price, along with the ZX507, NW-WM1AM2, and NW-WM1ZM2.

Besides, Sony has shown they will replace their Walkman DAP's. So choosing to wait or not is a gamble, either way.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #2,923 of 3,003
I'd wait if I didn't have it. It sounds really good, no doubt Sony has given it really solid sound, and with the latest app updates I have no real usabilitity issues, but it's battery life (one session, no all day use, and that's with everything turned off / tweaked and auto shut off, etc) isn't good enough in 2022 IMO. I am sure whatever they come out with next will improve that.

It's better in offline only mode, no bluetooth or wifi on, but yeah.

It's also still running Android 9 which is super outdated at this point and probably full of security issues to boot for accounts you use on it.

That is with provisio that Sony is actually still persuing the niche, small form factor DAP market. I mean they stopped updating their Portable Headphone Amplifier series (maybe due to the rise of DAP market, not sure) a while ago and they have their extremely expensive full size DAP series that's in the multiple thousands of dollars for people without price constraints, so I am not sure if they will continue in this niche market.

It may also be that devices this small aren't big enough for modern battery technology to work well with android and streaming power and audio circuitry requirements.

Even so, it's a hard device to recommend due to it's short comings, although I do find it pleasant to use whenever I'm using IEMs.

Also, It's hard to use DAPs with streaming services with extremely tiny screens when you can use an external dac device with so many phones these days that have incredible and better sized screens.

It's sort of stuck between 2 use cases - a full sized DAP that has the convenience of a phone screen size for apps and audio power circuitry that's good, and a dedicated portable dac. it makes compromises to sit in the middle.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #2,924 of 3,003
I'd wait if I didn't have it. It sounds really good, no doubt Sony has given it really solid sound, and with the latest app updates I have no real usabilitity issues, but it's battery life (one session, no all day use, and that's with everything turned off / tweaked and auto shut off, etc) isn't good enough in 2022 IMO. I am sure whatever they come out with next will improve that.

It's better in offline only mode, no bluetooth or wifi on, but yeah.

It's also still running Android 9 which is super outdated at this point and probably full of security issues to boot for accounts you use on it.

That is with provisio that Sony is actually still persuing the niche, small form factor DAP market. I mean they stopped updating their Portable Headphone Amplifier series (maybe due to the rise of DAP market, not sure) a while ago and they have their extremely expensive DAP series that's in the multiple thousands of dollars for people without price constraints, so I am not sure if they will continue in this niche market.

It may also be that devices this small aren't big enough for modern battery technology to work well with android and streaming power and audio circuitry requirements.

Even so, it's a hard device to recommend due to it's short comings, although I do find it pleasant to use whenever I'm using IEMs.

Also, It's hard to use DAPs with streaming services with extremely tiny screens when you can use an external dac device with so many phones these days that have incredible and better sized screens.

It's sort of stuck between 2 use cases - a full sized DAP that has the convenience of a phone screen size for apps and audio power circuitry that's good, and a dedicated portable dac. it makes compromises to sit in the middle.
It is difficult to recommend it. Having purchased Sony DAPs for years the A105 has been my last. I'll keep it for sure but it'll become outdated eventually when security updates cease. Besides, honestly speaking, my Samsung phone doesn't sound much different to my ageing ears.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #2,925 of 3,003
It is difficult to recommend it. Having purchased Sony DAPs for years the A105 has been my last. I'll keep it for sure but it'll become outdated eventually when security updates cease. Besides, honestly speaking, my Samsung phone doesn't sound much different to my ageing ears.
The last security update was November 2021… I think we have arrived at the ceased stage unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back