The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 29, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2,836 of 3,003
It's such a shame Sony took a huge step back in terms of battery life with the 105. I totally get the compromise between battery life and streaming access. The fact the the senseless EU cap can't be circumvented is another issue. Having been a fan of Sony devices since a very young age I find that, especially, the battery life on this device to be a proper dissapointment. My 6 yr old "uncapped" A15 is still going strong and still with excellent battery life. I know I'm going over old ground, I'll put my rant to rest 😊

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,838 of 3,003
It's such a shame Sony took a huge step back in terms of battery life with the 105. I totally get the compromise between battery life and streaming access. The fact the the senseless EU cap can't be circumvented is another issue. Having been a fan of Sony devices since a very young age I find that, especially, the battery life on this device to be a proper dissapointment. My 6 yr old "uncapped" A15 is still going strong and still with excellent battery life. I know I'm going over old ground, I'll put my rant to rest 😊
🤣 true, I got a japanese version on ebay, battery life isn't great, I generally don't take it too far from a power source, or bring a bank with me

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #2,839 of 3,003
What's everyone's favourite IEM pairing with the A105? I have an A105 that's collecting dust somewhat. I'd like to find a nice mid-fi IEM to pair with it. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried the IER-M7 with A105?
A105 has a tendency to add warmth, fullness and to smooth out treble. To me that pairs best with bright/thin earphones. Best synergy so far for me has been with Rose Technics Maria earbuds.
My A17 is still going strong as well (with Rockbox firmware installed). I expect the same from A105. Having full Android with 4GB of RAM and HD screen in such a small package is impressive. A55 might've been a better option for you since it has similar sound quality to A105, stronger battery, and ability to remove EU volume cap.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #2,840 of 3,003
I don't have many movies on my NAS. I have Synology NAS, and tried the DS audio client on my ipad to play my library, but it doesn't handle gappless very well. Also, I like Sony's UI, so I want to use the Sony Walkman app.

I saw a user on reddit mentioning 'foldersync', that seems to do what I want: https://www.reddit.com/r/walkman/comments/ov1p2y/enable_mtp_mode_on_nwa105/
How does foldersync handle tag data and album artwork? I like using the native player alright, but it lacks a lot of basic functionality that even Sonys own Music app on Xperia phones has.

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #2,841 of 3,003
How does foldersync handle tag data and album artwork? I like using the native player alright, but it lacks a lot of basic functionality that even Sonys own Music app on Xperia phones has.
Sorry, I don't have the player yet. I was considering a Sony Android Walkman (I do have the ZX1, but the battery died), but I haven't decided which model (A105, ZX507, new model?). The european volume cap doesn't help making that decision faster...

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #2,842 of 3,003
Can’t charge my Walkman and play through a DAC simultaneously… Has anyone experienced this issue and overcome it? I’m revisiting an old topic here, on how to charge and listen through a DAC at the same time.

I’ve now tried several splitters: Usb C to usb c data and pd, usb c to usb a and pd. It’s always the same problem that if I connect the modi Multibit it sees it and plays through it, but as soon as I connect the pd / power the sound is gone, the player stops because it feels it has been disconnected from sound output, and it begins to charge.

If I add the charger first and then the data connection I never see the data connection request for access at all.

If I connect them both to the splitter and then plug the splitter in, there is neither charge light nor data request.

All options in the usb pane of the connection settings, whether darkened or greyed out, visible or invisible, are not user-changeable.

I’m at my wits’ end. OTG I just listen to the Walkman with my Z1R, but at home I want to enjoy it through one of my tube headphone amps, and at the office through my Cayin RU6.

I looked into the new NFC charging and I can’t find an NFC charger. I looked into Qi charging adapters so thin as to fit in the TPS2 case but can’t find one with a sheathe-plug which would allow for a usb c connection from another device still.

A little bird told me that DDHIFI will likely release a solid brick usb splitter modeled after their lightning to USB C block adapter, the TC28i. That would be the most elegant solution. But my only concern is that my Walkman would create the same problems it has now no matter the adapter.

Help me Head-Fi compendium, you’re my only hope

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #2,843 of 3,003
Can’t charge my Walkman and play through a DAC simultaneously… Has anyone experienced this issue and overcome it? I’m revisiting an old topic here, on how to charge and listen through a DAC at the same time.

I’ve now tried several splitters: Usb C to usb c data and pd, usb c to usb a and pd. It’s always the same problem that if I connect the modi Multibit it sees it and plays through it, but as soon as I connect the pd / power the sound is gone, the player stops because it feels it has been disconnected from sound output, and it begins to charge.

If I add the charger first and then the data connection I never see the data connection request for access at all.

If I connect them both to the splitter and then plug the splitter in, there is neither charge light nor data request.

All options in the usb pane of the connection settings, whether darkened or greyed out, visible or invisible, are not user-changeable.

I’m at my wits’ end. OTG I just listen to the Walkman with my Z1R, but at home I want to enjoy it through one of my tube headphone amps, and at the office through my Cayin RU6.

I looked into the new NFC charging and I can’t find an NFC charger. I looked into Qi charging adapters so thin as to fit in the TPS2 case but can’t find one with a sheathe-plug which would allow for a usb c connection from another device still.

A little bird told me that DDHIFI will likely release a solid brick usb splitter modeled after their lightning to USB C block adapter, the TC28i. That would be the most elegant solution. But my only concern is that my Walkman would create the same problems it has now no matter the adapter.

Help me Head-Fi compendium, you’re my only hope
I bought this double type c splitter to try connecting A105 to external DAC and to charge simultaneously.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPHnIpQ
Screenshot_20220121-123217_AliExpress.jpg

There's also IKKO ITX01 USB Hub. It might work with A105/Android, I'm not sure.
https://hifigo.com/collections/new-arrival/products/ikko-itx01-usb-hub

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #2,844 of 3,003
Jan 30, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #2,845 of 3,003
The splitter has a DAC in it though. How did it work for you?
I noticed that mentioned in the description, however I'm doubtful that double usb-c version has a DAC since there's technically no analog output.

Even if the splitter does have a DAC, I expect it to be bypassed with OTG cable- same thing that happens with A105 usb-c port when external DAC is plugged in- as A105 has a DAC on its own as well.

Will report back once I receive it.

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #2,846 of 3,003
I noticed that mentioned in the description, however I'm doubtful that double usb-c version has a DAC since there's technically no analog output.

Even if the splitter does have a DAC, I expect it to be bypassed with OTG cable- same thing that happens with A105 usb-c port when external DAC is plugged in- as A105 has a DAC on its own as well.

Will report back once I receive it.
This reminds me, does anyone have a specification sheet for the NW-A105 DAC? I'm assuming it's delta-sigma and not multibit or r2r?

Feb 1, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #2,847 of 3,003
Sorry, I don't have the player yet. I was considering a Sony Android Walkman (I do have

Sorry, I don't have the player yet. I was considering a Sony Android Walkman (I do have the ZX1, but the battery died), but I haven't decided which model (A105, ZX507, new model?). The european volume cap doesn't help making that decision faster...
I use the NW-ZX507 with MDR1AM2 headphones... due to the current firmware and after burning in the balanced port, the EU volume cap is no longer an issue ... at least for me. Most of the time I hear at a volume of 65 to 75 (depending on the level of the audio) from 120.... The NW-ZX507 is a beautiful player... only battery runtime could be better

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #2,848 of 3,003
With such great battery life on these two DAP's it makes me wonder why Sony offers noticeably lower battery life on the A105 and ZX507, by far the biggest complaint about these DAP's?

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #2,849 of 3,003
With such great battery life on these two DAP's it makes me wonder why Sony offers noticeably lower battery life on the A105 and ZX507, by far the biggest complaint about these DAP's?

The battery's capacity of the A105 at least, is the same as the one of the A55, for example. A55 doesn't have Android, a HD screen, a quad-core SoC, or a Wi-Fi connection, so the battery lasts a lot longer.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #2,850 of 3,003
The battery's capacity of the A105 at least, is the same as the one of the A55, for example. A55 doesn't have Android, a HD screen, a quad-core SoC, or a Wi-Fi connection, so the battery lasts a lot longer.
OOPs. Thought I was in the thread for the new WM DAP's which offer much better battery life than the A105 and ZX507 with android. I understand the battery in the A series is smaller but at the price Sony is charging for the A series you would hope for better battery life. Low power and relatively low battery life make the A105 less appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back