The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Apr 29, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,071 of 3,003
Again and again, if I already have all the music I like why pay for Tidal or any other streaming service?

To each is own, we all should do what works best for us and my way is the best

I already know all that, there was no need to type it. My reply specifically addressed only the issue you raised that you cant use streaming when you have bad wifi.

I dont care whether you use Tidal or not, but when I see a misunderstanding of how streaming services can be used I felt compelled to address it.

It sounds more from your last post like you cannot afford or justify the 240 a year for Tidal and thats understandable.

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #2,072 of 3,003
As far as battery life, its not great but I have had enough battery all the times I’ve needed to use it. I started to use the device as a wirless bluetooth streamer to the Hugo 2 and its very convenient as a transport as well.

I am using AptX HD but I think the Hugo2 cannot support HD files over bluetooth sadly.... I know it doesn’t support LDAP.

May 1, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,073 of 3,003
That's a real shame - the player looks pretty great otherwise. What sort of life are you getting under normal conditions?
This is the battery life I got during with my A105 battery test for 2 weeks, and all below are output via wired IEM.

- Playback from Sony Walkman App with various files (MP3s, FLACs, DSDs, WAVs) - 24 hours with 10% battery life (Started playing 9pm and leave it to the next day same time)
- Playback from Tidal app with WiFi - 6-8 hours
- Playback from Tidal app (Offline) w/out WiFi - 8-10 hours
- Stream Tidal from UAPP - 6-8 hours

May 1, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #2,074 of 3,003
If you listen 1-2 hours per day I think you will have to charge it once every 2 days.
I have been using it for 2 days and charged it this morning. In this quarantine period I'm listening to a lot of music. I have used it about 3-4 hours yesterday (half of time streaming from Tidal), and today after 2 hours (from sd card) battery was at 30%. I've tried it with IEMs, over-ear headphones and bt tws.
I will let you know about battery life after a week of usage.
Have it ever happened to you that the track will pause once finishes and not move forward to the next track when playback from Tidal app?

May 1, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,075 of 3,003
Have it ever happened to you that the track will pause once finishes and not move forward to the next track when playback from Tidal app?

Yes, it happens to me when I listen to Tidal plsylists, but it's happening also on my smartphone. It's not a problem with the A105.

May 2, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #2,077 of 3,003
Dear Guys, thanks for all your posts and knowledge. I recently got a A105 EU version. Just a few words to my situation

I use Poweramp as a Player with Replay Gain on (+16db). I use Custom IEM ACS Emotion Live where I have no issues with volume when using Replay Gain. Otherwise volume is an issue.

I have a SanDisk 1tb Micro SD card running with approx. 94300 files In Mp3 320kbps quality.

I have a question to the Sony Player Software as I couldn't find any setti gs for that. Is it true that

1. If I use multiple genre tags divided by ";" Sony player cannot read it? It just show the full string like: "Rock; Hard Rock; Album Rock" and does not divide it?
2. There is still no way to remove volume cap for EU Players?

I tried many gear including AK and cayin Totl players, but most of them are not really portable as the feel like a brick in the pocket and I want something like the A105 when running around..

3 issues I have which would make the player perfect:

- Volume cap (I can order Japanese version)
- Battery life (which is as it is unfortunately)
- Reading multiple genre tags in Sony player

May 2, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #2,079 of 3,003
I already know all that, there was no need to type it. My reply specifically addressed only the issue you raised that you cant use streaming when you have bad wifi.

I dont care whether you use Tidal or not, but when I see a misunderstanding of how streaming services can be used I felt compelled to address it.

It sounds more from your last post like you cannot afford or justify the 240 a year for Tidal and thats understandable.

Actually no misunderstanding here, I know exactly how streaming services work. But people use it for different reasons in different places and it may not be the best option which is simply my point. I have many other things I can spend the $240 a year on and I have to weigh my priorities for those funds. It happens that paying for a streaming service is at the bottom of the list as it is for me a luxury and not a necessity.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #2,081 of 3,003
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-57#post-15339376

Updates to my tweak guide.

This advanced tweak is mostly recommended for those who mainly uses the ZX507/A105's Sony stock Walkman Music app to play offline files on SDCARD.

This should provide better battery performance by further limiting/reducing google's constant background data collection/scanning on your walkman.

Do note that If you are using streaming app, you will NOT be able to update the app in google play store until you reverse this tweak or using alternative app updating store e.g. APKPure etc.

1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all apps >

Google Play Store > Disable

Google Play services > Permissions > turn off everything listed

Google Play services > Advanced > Modify system settings > Not Allowed

Google Play services > Storage > Clear Storage > Clear ALL DATA

2) Settings > Accounts > youraccount@gmail.com > Remove Account

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #2,082 of 3,003
Just a reminder that you can improve battery life and performance to a certain extend with my guide:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15339376
Thanks for that!
I had the majority done already, however since doing these last tweaks and changes I am down to losing only 5% battery per hour (Mainly FLACs on the stock Walkman app).
This equates to 20 hours of battery life which is a lot better than some of the other devices I have used.

May 12, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #2,083 of 3,003
Thanks for that!
I had the majority done already, however since doing these last tweaks and changes I am down to losing only 5% battery per hour (Mainly FLACs on the stock Walkman app).
This equates to 20 hours of battery life which is a lot better than some of the other devices I have used.

20hours is really decent battery runtime for flac playback.

I believe that the idle standby time should be improved using the latest tweak addition.

Just did a factory reset on my zx507 today. After resetting, it felt really unresponsive and slow with all google factory extras, scrolling through song list has additional loading time. Skipping tracks has noticable delay before the next track starts playing.

After tweaking once again, it just feel so liquid smooth to scroll through the song list. Skipping tracks also seems instantaneous.

May 19, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #2,084 of 3,003
Has anyone else had a problem when playing from the 3.5mm jack into their car radio?

My A55 works flawlessly, however when the A100 is playing no sound comes out... I have tried; multiple cables, Walkman/Spotify/UAPP, different EQs, turning it off and on again. Nothing seems to work.

The 3.5mm works with all my headphones/IEMs but not the car radio.

Car for reference is a 2018 Subaru WRX STi Premium with a HK head unit.

Bad video but you get the idea

Thanks in advance

May 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,085 of 3,003
Has anyone else had a problem when playing from the 3.5mm jack into their car radio?

My A55 works flawlessly, however when the A100 is playing no sound comes out... I have tried; multiple cables, Walkman/Spotify/UAPP, different EQs, turning it off and on again. Nothing seems to work.

The 3.5mm works with all my headphones/IEMs but not the car radio.

Car for reference is a 2018 Subaru WRX STi Premium with a HK head unit.

Bad video but you get the idea

Thanks in advance
I have the same issue using a new set of Nuraloop earphones with my 105. They work well using Bluetooth, but no sound when using them via the cable. No problems using the Nuraloops on both Bluetooth or cable with Fiio, or Shanling. Seems to be a Sony quirk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back