The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Oct 9, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #511 of 3,003
Hola. Yo tengo los MSR7 balanceados y mi Sony NW-ZX300 los mueve muy bien por 4.4 en alta ganancia (volumen 90-100 como muy máximo). Con una mínima ecualización en graves el combo es estupendo. Eso sí, el ZX300 es animal de in-ear, da igual 3.5 o 4.4. Una absoluta maravilla.

Sobre el asunto de la limitación del ZX500 no tardarán demasiado en crear una solución, por tanto yo esperaría.

Hi. I have the MSR7 balanced and my Sony NW-ZX300 moves them very well by 4.4 in high gain (volume 90-100 at most). With a minimal equalization in bass the combo is great. Of course, the ZX300 is an in-ear animal, regardless of 3.5 or 4.4. An absolute wonder.

On the matter of the ZX500 limitation it will not take long to create a solution, therefore I would wait.

That is the main problem with Sony's DAPs, output power. You have to purchase balanced 4.4mm cables to hear something at good levels...and wait for third-party solutions for EU volume limitations. FiiO, iBasso, A&K, HiBy players....no problems with output power (even using 3.5mm conventional output). I think I will stick with my Dragonfly Red (no problem with MQA support and output power) and FiiO amps with my mobile phone (Android UAPP / Neutron apps...) and invest my money in better IEMS (FiiO FH7, for example)...I do not trust Sony with bad customer support in EU and expensive products with ridiculous shortcomings....

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #513 of 3,003
OK, entschuldige mich für Spanische Sprache zu benutzen. Ich kann auch Englisch und Spanisch. Es würde schön dass dieses Forum international wäre. Ich werde auch Englisch schreiben. Es tut mir Leid!

Please accept my apologies for using Spanish, it's the second most used language in the world. It would be fine to allow more languages in this intenational forum. I will write in English from now on. I'm sorry!

Te contesté en español porque eres español. Pero gracias al estupendo traductor de Google no hay problema en contestar en cualquier idioma y debajo traducir al inglés para que todos lo entiendan. Saludos!

I answered you in Spanish because you are Spanish. But thanks to the great Google translator there is no problem in answering in any language and below translate to English for everyone to understand. Regards!

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #514 of 3,003
Gracias Joaqu2n / Thank you Joaqu2n... Saludos desde Asturias / Greetings from Asturias

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #515 of 3,003
That is the main problem with Sony's DAPs, output power. You have to purchase balanced 4.4mm cables to hear something at good levels...and wait for third-party solutions for EU volume limitations. FiiO, iBasso, A&K, HiBy players....no problems with output power (even using 3.5mm conventional output). I think I will stick with my Dragonfly Red (no problem with MQA support and output power) and FiiO amps with my mobile phone (Android UAPP / Neutron apps...) and invest my money in better IEMS (FiiO FH7, for example)...I do not trust Sony with bad customer support in EU and expensive products with ridiculous shortcomings....

I understand what you say, but I think Sony is a company that sectorizes its products, prioritizing important features. In the case of its high-end Walkman, it is clear that they are focused on portable listening, both with IEM and on-ear little demanding (MDR-1A, MSR7), sacrificing the experience with more impedance over-ear headphones and less sensitivity ... and favoring low battery consumption.

I had the FiiO X5 III, with its highest power, its balanced 2.5, its Android system ... and when I bought the ZX300 and connected the FiiO FH5 (both 4.4 and 3.5) the difference was noticeable. That's what Sony is looking for, sound quality, low power consumption, simple and intuitive OS, great dual LDAC connection (with which Android is not required to fully enjoy Spotify, Tidal or Qbuz).

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #516 of 3,003
OK, maybe there is a noticeable difference, but the main diifference in sound quality is attributable to the IEM/Headphone used. I have a FiiO X3 II, 4 USB DACs (including Dragonfly Red) and even an old iPod 5.5 video (renowned Wolfson DAC chip) with a portable FiiO amp. I think that the greatest sound quality differnce is due to the headphones/IEMs and source power output. The HiRes source really plays a minor role in sound quality (only for very trained audiophile users) compared with headphones and music file quality (lossless vs. compressed)...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #517 of 3,003
Now I have convinced myself to stick with my Samsung S7 + Dragonfly Red as DAP combo:

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #518 of 3,003
Now I have convinced myself to stick with my Samsung S7 + Dragonfly Red as DAP combo:

John darko also recommends the high-end LG, with its Quad DAC ESS Sabre. Today we have the LG G8x in amazon.es for about € 400. The output power is very similar to that of the Dragonfly Red, about 2V. And similar audio quality, with the difference that LG support MQA full.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #519 of 3,003
I missed a good deal for used zx300 for $180... maybe I should just go and upgrade my DF Black to Red?

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #520 of 3,003
I missed a good deal for used zx300 for $180... maybe I should just go and upgrade my DF Black to Red?
Wow...quite a great deal. Better luck the next time.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #521 of 3,003
Is 620 usd for a used WM1A (with slew of cases and and unused screen guard) a good price?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #522 of 3,003
Is 620 usd for a used WM1A (with slew of cases and and unused screen guard) a good price?

Good price but it’s hefty unit for carrying around. How many hours has the previous owner has put on the unit?

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #523 of 3,003
Nearing 1000, small ding on one corner, small scratches on the screen, seems the guy is too hasty on using it before the accessories arrived. Tho that's it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back