The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #466 of 3,003
I forgot to share these
sony's story
and the small Sony tape recorder that went around the moon.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #467 of 3,003
The A55 is still a consideration for me for sure, I hope that is the case and it comes to Canada.
I think its worth trying to source the device from an Asian retailer. I got my NW-A45 for 25% less from a Chinese store than Amazon was selling it for at the time

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #468 of 3,003
I think its worth trying to source the device from an Asian retailer. I got my NW-A45 for 25% less from a Chinese store than Amazon was selling it for at the time
Yeah, they tend to have lower sony prices for everything. I've seen the zx300a for circa 280 bucks on many occasions. Also the new ier iems are quite a bit cheaper there

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #469 of 3,003
Aye, mamy sony models got marked down quite a bit with time.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #470 of 3,003

I have had two bad experiences shipping DAP's to China for repair under warranty. My Cowon Plenue D cost me a fortune in shipping back and forth and two months of waiting and was never properly fixed. I also had a warranty return and replacement on my Sony A17 which I bought in Canada. It cost me a total of $19.00 in shipping and insurance and I had my replacement unit 10 days after I shipped my defective unit. The difference in the two experiences plus 15 years in high end audio sales convinced me never to import electronics, especially when they have batteries. No if Sony wants me to buy one of their products they can sell it in Canada. Plenty of other options for me that don't require me to import it. The fact a major company like Sony won't sell their DAP's in Canada while most of the Chinese companies do makes no sense to me. They are already exporting tons of electronics to Canada so why not all their DAP's? Makes me wonder just how well their DAP's really sell when they ignore a large part of the world market in North America and most of Europe at least on the A55.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #471 of 3,003
I have had two bad experiences shipping DAP's to China for repair under warranty. My Cowon Plenue D cost me a fortune in shipping back and forth and two months of waiting and was never properly fixed. I also had a warranty return and replacement on my Sony A17 which I bought in Canada. It cost me a total of $19.00 in shipping and insurance and I had my replacement unit 10 days after I shipped my defective unit. The difference in the two experiences plus 15 years in high end audio sales convinced me never to import electronics, especially when they have batteries. No if Sony wants me to buy one of their products they can sell it in Canada. Plenty of other options for me that don't require me to import it. The fact a major company like Sony won't sell their DAP's in Canada while most of the Chinese companies do makes no sense to me. They are already exporting tons of electronics to Canada so why not all their DAP's? Makes me wonder just how well their DAP's really sell when they ignore a large part of the world market in North America and most of Europe at least on the A55.
Well, they sell like hotcakes, especially in China which is a huge market. It seems that they are starting ti care less about the narket outside Asia aside from Europe coz they are still engaged in it, which isapparent fron the fact that they are bringing all the new Walkmans this November along with the nw a55

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #472 of 3,003
More Sa-Z1 impression
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019...he-art-of-near-field-listening-rmaf-2019/amp/
With some pic of the booth they had on RMAF
sony3.jpg

sony8.jpg

sony11.jpg

That's one nice headphone-IEM hanger...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #474 of 3,003
Aye, mamy sony models got marked down quite a bit with time.
Where can we get one for cheap in China any links to a good site ..I want the new IER

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #475 of 3,003
Having had only one small budget Chi/Fi DAP before buying the Sony 1Z, the operating system and user interface was super important on my list of priorities. Back in 2010 at least the iPods ran well and became very fast as easy to use. For some there is nothing worse than crappy firmware. Though some audiophiles just put up with bad firmware as being part of this forgiving group who only concentrate on sound quality. Being the supreme lurker, I’d spent years reading about the first DAP products at Head-Fi and finally to the point where there was handfuls of Chinese DAPs for sale. Back in 2010, the HiFiMan DAPs were strange and no one could have realized how far this departure from the iPod could go!

If you were to read and read, it was apparently the apex in 2013 when the first loads were being sold and the major complaints from the masses at Head-Fi were starting to pile up. And as all audiophiles you would see products introduced and have curiosity and wonder as to what they were about. But after reading pages and pages of user reports it became obvious that these poor souls hated their buggy firmware. And much of the time stuff was never fixed......ever.

Finding out that the 1Z and 1A firmware was smooth and reliable made it seem different and new. Roughly 3 years from the 2013 Head-Fi apex of disappointed owner influx..........now was maybe the bright future?

And Sony was also bringing some sound quality to the table too with the new DAPs. Probably the only thing you can’t do is a song search?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #477 of 3,003
Well, they sell like hotcakes, especially in China which is a huge market. It seems that they are starting ti care less about the narket outside Asia aside from Europe coz they are still engaged in it, which isapparent fron the fact that they are bringing all the new Walkmans this November along with the nw a55

Great for Asia and Europe but the new DAP's don't work for me price and feature wise. If the A55 comes here I will be very happy to demo one but otherwise not and option either. You want me to be a customer then bring to my Country.

Sony is already shipping products here so how big a deal would it be to throw a small batch of A55's in a shipment and test the market instead of just assuming people won't buy it?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #478 of 3,003
So will the new Sony dap be able to drive my ATH-MSR7 or my Sony 1000xm2. I am half deaf ( right ear) so I do prefer a lot of power so I can turn the volume up high,usually around 65/75%
I hope so (I also have an Audio Technica MSR7). The problem is that 3.5mm audio output only has 50mW power, and like the ZX300, I fear that the ZX500 will also have a mandatory volume cap (limitation) in Europe. This is a common claim of Sony's walkmans of costumers in Europe. This is why I am thinking it twice before ordering the ZX500...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #479 of 3,003
The only reason I bought the ZX300 was because it’s so easy to remove the volume cap. Unless a similar workaround is found for the ZX500 I’m going to pass. I’m not prepared to import it with all the associated risks regarding the warranty.

I’m willing to bet in Europe sales of the ZX500 will not be as healthy as the ZX300 unless an easy workaround is found.

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #480 of 3,003
The only reason I bought the ZX300 was because it’s so easy to remove the volume cap. Unless a similar workaround is found for the ZX500 I’m going to pass. I’m not prepared to import it with all the associated risks regarding the warranty.

I’m willing to bet in Europe sales of the ZX500 will not be as healthy as the ZX300 unless an easy workaround is found.

on the other hand, it's possible (while unlikely) that the UK release of ZX500 won't have the EU implemented volume cap due to Brexit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back