The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #422 of 3,003
You've got it completely backwards, the Sony Walkmans had always been very open with their Android based Walkmans. The promo video already shows the inclusion Google Play Store - so just like the ZX1 and ZX2 you'll be able to download directly from the Google Play Store. So none of the APK or firmware flashing nonsense of Chinese DAPs - well because Play Store is banned in China! The Walkmans has the advantage and will be much more user friendly and more stand alone with the inclusion of the Play Store in the device itself, also getting the Walkmans to be certified for Google Play Store adds cost to these devices so that has to be factored in as well.

My issue with having a fully certified Android build with Google Services included means that getting updates can be a lot more cumbersome - so unless their music playing app has all the functionality which can then be updated more easily via the Play Store, huge firmware related bugs will take a lot longer to rectify.

I have no experience with Sony Android DAP's or smartphones so I was not aware. But I sold Sony DVD and blu-ray players which didn't support alot of formats so I was going off that experience.

Good to know they are much more open with their DAP's. Following the Fiio M6 thread people are getting much less battery life than rated. Has me concerned about real life battery life on these new Sony Android DAP's. My Android based Fiio M7 gets very good battery life but no wifi. I would prefer to stick with my smartphone for wifi and just get a DAP for carrying my music. Would prefer to stay away from Android based DAP's but that is getting harder and harder to do.

Will likely wait a few months for real life feedback from owners before making a final decision and of course see what the actual street price will be.

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #423 of 3,003
I have no experience with Sony Android DAP's or smartphones so I was not aware. But I sold Sony DVD and blu-ray players which didn't support alot of formats so I was going off that experience.

Good to know they are much more open with their DAP's. Following the Fiio M6 thread people are getting much less battery life than rated. Has me concerned about real life battery life on these new Sony Android DAP's. My Android based Fiio M7 gets very good battery life but no wifi. I would prefer to stick with my smartphone for wifi and just get a DAP for carrying my music. Would prefer to stay away from Android based DAP's but that is getting harder and harder to do.

Will likely wait a few months for real life feedback from owners before making a final decision and of course see what the actual street price will be.

Actual battery life using 44.1/16 flac from own cds using 3.5mm unbalanced, no wireless
NW-ZX100 uses sony linux os, no apps or streaming (i have been using since 2016), around 43-45 hours
NW-ZX300 uses sony linux os, no apps or streaming (my mate has been using for 6 months) around 21-23 hours
sucessor model, NW-ZX500 uses andriod os, like a phone, uses apps and streaming, expect around 15-18 hours as a player only

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #424 of 3,003
Actual battery life using 44.1/16 flac from own cds using 3.5mm unbalanced, no wireless
NW-ZX100 uses sony linux os, no apps or streaming (i have been using since 2016), around 43-45 hours
NW-ZX300 uses sony linux os, no apps or streaming (my mate has been using for 6 months) around 21-23 hours
sucessor model, NW-ZX500 uses andriod os, like a phone, uses apps and streaming, expect around 15-18 hours as a player only
the truth with behind the ZX100 45Hrs battery life is the lowly 15mW + 15mW output power

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #426 of 3,003
I have been looking into sony websites trying.to see if the new android walkman will have usb DAC. Seems like not
Keeping my wm1A
IMG-20190910-WA0004.jpeg

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #427 of 3,003

Yes I am aware of all the battery life specs and DAP features. I have no interest in streaming from a DAP so not thrilled with the A105. Trading battery life for Android and streaming is a big letdown for me not to mention the higher price from the other A series DAP's. The ZX300 is way to expensive in Canada so if it does get released here the A55 might be my only other non-Android DAP option outside of the Shanling M2X which is also not available in Canada yet.

What aggravates me so much with Sony is that no matter how old their DAP's are there is never a price drop in Canada. The ZX300 has not dropped at all in price despite being on the market for a long time and the main reason I went to Shanling and then Fiio with my M7.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #428 of 3,003
I have been looking into sony websites trying.to see if the new android walkman will have usb DAC. Seems like not
Keeping my wm1A
There's always the chance of them adding it in an update, so hopefully they will

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #429 of 3,003
Keeping my wm1A

I suspect Sony is leaving out features like USB DAC functionality and and bluetooth receiver mode in the hopes people pair the DAP's with their other devices to add these features. I mean if they release these DAP's with every possible feature your taking away the excuse to buy some of their other products. Just like people will buy Sony headphones and bluetooth speakers to use with these DAP's. I suspect however that these features can be added with a firmware update. If sales lag on these DAP's on first release it might force Sony to activate these features with firmware updates. Especially since other lower priced DAP's have these features. They obviously decided to go to USB-C and ditch the WMport for a reason.

This is what happens when a major electronics manufacturer also makes DAP's. They want them to fit in with their product universe as much as possible. When you start comparing these new Sony DAP's with other DAP's on the market they are really coming up short in key areas and lack some key features. I just hope they haven't shot themselves in the foot going this root like they did leaving Apt-X support off the A45 then adding it back in the A55.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #431 of 3,003
I was looking forward to this - I currently have a NWZ-ZX1 and was wanting an upgrade. But frankly these are a bit underwhelming and I've never really needed Android. I've always used the stock player on my ZX1. As for Android, just worked like a phone. But limited updates as it's harder to do, worth keeping that in mind. I'd strictly limit the apps you install.

Dilemma, maybe the ZX300 is the right balance between features if you're not really needing online/streaming capability?

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #432 of 3,003
The ZX300 is indeed very nice in many aspects.

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #433 of 3,003
I'm going to ZX500 once our community can safely root it. I like androids DAPs, currently own DP-X1 and beloved old F800. But I hate their bloatwares which ruin battery life.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #434 of 3,003
So if anyone wants to get all nerdy on the new DAP's

checkout this link http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/09/new-sony-walkmans-nw-a100-nw-zx500-use.html which gives details on the Qualcomm and Murata Wireless chips being used and links to both company sites for more specs.

Might read through it more thoroughly when I have more time but it looks like Sony is using some quality chips in these DAP's at least for bluetooth and wireless.

Price speculation on some sites is now $400 to $500 US for the A105 ($499 AUS). So like $520 to $650 CDN, No way I am paying that much for this DAP if the speculated prices are close. For me Sony in this case means SoNo as in not a DAP for me. Here is hoping the A55 shows up here, that is about the only Sony DAP I can consider now.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #435 of 3,003
So if anyone wants to get all nerdy on the new DAP's

checkout this link http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/09/new-sony-walkmans-nw-a100-nw-zx500-use.html which gives details on the Qualcomm and Murata Wireless chips being used and links to both company sites for more specs.

Might read through it more thoroughly when I have more time but it looks like Sony is using some quality chips in these DAP's at least for bluetooth and wireless.

Price speculation on some sites is now $400 to $500 US for the A105 ($499 AUS). So like $520 to $650 CDN, No way I am paying that much for this DAP if the speculated prices are close. For me Sony in this case means SoNo as in not a DAP for me. Here is hoping the A55 shows up here, that is about the only Sony DAP I can consider now.
Seems like the site mentions a ZX505 along the regular 507, so would that mean we'll get a cheaper version of the ZX500 with less storage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back