The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Sep 6, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #376 of 3,003
I

I personally don’t think that Sony's service is the only reason...after all, it's Japan only and Japan has a tiny market for streaming services (over 70% is physical media sales). Honestly, though, Sony should really get all their teams on the same page. Imagine how great it could be if the Xperia division did a collab with other divisions- eg. Xperia Alpha with great camera quality, Xperia Bravia and Xperia Walkman for content consumption, Xperia PlayStation for gaming, etc. (Credit to Sony Reconsidered for the potential collab ideas)
Basically they need to do it like ASUS did with their ROG phones.
IMO you're right, they can rely on their other branch's already worldwide famous name and used it to market the phones.
As long as they take the integration seriously, it'd attack the fans of the already existing niche product and put more eyes into it.

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #377 of 3,003
No but if you are only willing to spend $400 on any DAP then why bother looking at units that cost more than $400. For me my limit is $300 on a portable battery powered product so I might like it. But if it is over my budget then I won't spend the money on it and look elsewhere. Plenty of good options for less than what Sony will charge for the A500 or even the A105.
It was more of a joke. I've spent a lot more on a wm1a but sold it because I like the zx300 better.

Which options do you mean? I feel like a lot of the Chinese made daps are coming with issues out of the box. Crap ui, heating issues, clicking issues during playback, or gradual hardware slowdowns. That or battery life sucks.

If you know of something that is reliable and fast, compact, good battery and had streaming, I'd be forever thankful!

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #378 of 3,003
I wonder what's all the fuss about Sony taking android.
It seems people been forgetting that Sony is the only major DAP manufacturer that ALSO has been making Android Phones like... 7+ years now?

They've got experience with the thing way longer than any emerging brand like Fiio ever has. Let them samples go to people's hands and see how it does.
I think that a lot of the problem is not because Sony will have problems with Android implementation, but because their Linux OS was perfect for many people with a long battery life, etc.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #380 of 3,003
It was more of a joke. I've spent a lot more on a wm1a but sold it because I like the zx300 better.

Which options do you mean? I feel like a lot of the Chinese made daps are coming with issues out of the box. Crap ui, heating issues, clicking issues during playback, or gradual hardware slowdowns. That or battery life sucks.

If you know of something that is reliable and fast, compact, good battery and had streaming, I'd be forever thankful!
My friend has spoken well of FiiO's recent products...he's owned the M7 and M11 and says that he has had no problems to date. However, they are not that compact (about the size of an iPhone 8)

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #381 of 3,003
My friend has spoken well of FiiO's recent products...he's owned the M7 and M11 and says that he has had no problems to date. However, they are not that compact (about the size of an iPhone 8)
The reason I need portability is because I need to fit it into fitted jean pockets. Also I have more built than average legs so it doesn't help the situation lol.

Sep 7, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #382 of 3,003
Well... Somebody knows their schiit.

Heh, I just realised I forgotten Google Play Store is not allowed in mainland China, which means neither the ZX500 or the A100 can be sold as is in China. Perhaps that means ZX500A and A100A without Play Store will be released as a separate SKU.

They can sell the ZX500 and A100 in the minor Asian regions like Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea, but those are just "nice to haves" markets, doubtful they were the deciding factors at all.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #384 of 3,003
Sound quality wise and value wise is this a good one or Fiio M11?
Value-wise nothing beats FiiO past $200 until about $500 TBH. I remember a reviewer saying that the M11 was as good as the WM1A, which is something like thrice the price.

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #385 of 3,003
Value-wise nothing beats FiiO past $200 until about $500 TBH. I remember a reviewer saying that the M11 was as good as the WM1A, which is something like thrice the price.
I would take that comment with a sack of salt!

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #388 of 3,003
Well, MSRP is $499 AUD ($340 USD) for NW-A105 and $1,199 AUD ($820 USD) for NW-ZX507 in Australia.

Considering the ZX300 can be had for $549 AUD ($370 USD) and WM1A at $1,199 ($820 USD), seems like the new Walkman is going to be pretty poor in terms of value down under. For Android players, an M11 is $699 AUD (regularly on sale for $620 AUD or $424 USD on eBay) and a Hiby R5 has dropped to $509 AUD ($341 USD) on eBay once already.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #389 of 3,003

Fair enough but the question is are the Chinese DAP issues enough to justify spending alot more on a Sony DAP for the same features? You also can't say for sure that these Sony DAP's will be perfect either. Yes My M7 has issues but they don't affect the daily use for the most part. As long as I use it in sleep mode then the slow boot is not as annoying and I only add tracks periodically. Sure I would love to have some of these issue fixed but I can't justify paying almost twice as much to not have these issues.

You have to decide if you can live with the Chinese DAP issues. I couldn't with the Shanling M0 and sold it, overall much happier with M7 and it sounds great. The A105 will have to blow my doors off in every way to get me to buy one and the specs alone don't do it for me.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #390 of 3,003
Well, MSRP is $499 AUD ($340 USD) for NW-A105 and $1,199 AUD ($820 USD) for NW-ZX507 in Australia.

Considering the ZX300 can be had for $549 AUD ($370 USD) and WM1A at $1,199 ($820 USD), seems like the new Walkman is going to be pretty poor in terms of value down under. For Android players, an M11 is $699 AUD (regularly on sale for $620 AUD or $424 USD on eBay) and a Hiby R5 has dropped to $509 AUD ($341 USD) on eBay once already.

I think the same. Pricing of the ZX-507 only makes sense if it sounds (nearly) as good as WM1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back