The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jan 29, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #1,756 of 3,003
One more question lol sorry guys, is the tonality more neutral than ES100? That's what I heard. I guess ES100 is coming out with a new model, but that will be awhile me thinks.

Ok back to the excellent a105:)

I'd say yes, more clinical while BTR5 more warm like a Walkman. Not massive difference.

As always, you have to listen for yourself with your preferred IEM's/headphones to see if it suits you.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,757 of 3,003
I'd say yes, more clinical while BTR5 more warm like a Walkman. Not massive difference.

As always, you have to listen for yourself with your preferred IEM's/headphones to see if it suits you.

Thanks, of course. From what I've read I think I'll really like the sound signature. I guess the companion app has a decent eq also, the ES100 had a really nice software suite. But this thing sounds like it won't require too much fiddling about with to get great sound :)

When I get it I'll pull out the senn 600s since this thing seems to have great driving power.

Ok apologies for my off topic drilling of psikey for info :) you know how it is...

One answer leads you to more questions and then on and on. ....

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #1,758 of 3,003
Is there any reason for why Bluetooth is unreliable on daps.. surely it's down to the adapter used .. my IMAC though an extreme comparison stays connected to my Sennheiser TWMS upstairs /through out the house from a central location.. where as hiby R6 can lose connection when in your pocket.. and the WIFI jezz.
FWIW my BTR5 also had terrible stability.
There were times that LDAC suffered serious glitches despite being motionless and mere inches from my phone.
I assume that this is not normal (given that most reports here reflect much more robust connections).
I liked the idea of a minimal setup like phone-BTR5-iem's, but the realities of instability, battery drain (phone) and to a lesser degree the difficulty of feeling for the right button without having to fish the amp out of it's pocket led to me returning mine.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,759 of 3,003
Is there any reason for why Bluetooth is unreliable on daps.. surely it's down to the adapter used ..

No, it's nowhere as simple as that.

In fact the "adapter" (BT4, 5 etc) is probably the least important factor of all. Antenna placement is one factor, and if you consider that the body of the DAP is usually a cage that is designed to keep radio waves OUT for maximum SQ and operation stability (EMI is bad for electronics in general), then how to place the BT antenna on the device becomes a big challenge in itself as you are balancing two conflicting goals (ie you want the receive the maximum radio waves for the best wireless connection, but you also want to keep most of it out so that it doesn't interfere with the electronics inside your device). Different makers approaches the problem differently and depending on how complex the solution to the issue is and it always involves extra cost in production as parts becomes more complex to product and put together. For example, people always wonder why the Sony ZX300/500 has a massive black chin below the screen - that's actually where they hid the antenna which is sandwiched between the glass and a cavity that is carved to the outside of the chassis and a small lead is ran back inside to the processors, a perfect example of the balancing act of keep the EMI out of the internals, while maximising reception, and hiding all of that behind aesthetics that is integrated into the design language.

That's why repeating spec sheet numbers never gives you the full picture.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #1,760 of 3,003
There were times that LDAC suffered serious glitches despite being motionless and mere inches from my phone.
I assume that this is not normal (given that most reports here reflect much more robust connections).
I liked the idea of a minimal setup like phone-BTR5-iem's, but the realities of instability, battery drain (phone) and to a lesser degree the difficulty of feeling for the right button without having to fish the amp out of it's pocket led to me returning mine.

I think alot of that could be how much emi interference is around at the time. I've tried say ap80 and it worked great for a while and then one day it's breaking up in my pocket less than a meter away from my headphones.

Then it would be stable again. The only thing I can attribute that to is inference of some type. I've had much worse- dx160, hiby r3 pro, dx220. Etc. I can assume Sony just has better design and shielding because I can't ever remember having any problems with BT on a Sony dap.

If the BTR5 behaves like that- exactly how my ibassos did, it's going back. Of course it's just a reciever so if the transmitter isn't up to par...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #1,761 of 3,003
I just landed from a 10 hrs flight and use it continuously, alternating between Sony music app, Amazon HD off-line, some Bluetooth, and extensive screen use. It only dropped one of the four light of the external battery, around 25%. I'm sure that I can squeeze 48 hrs or more from a full charge if I only use the Sony app. The external battery could last for 48hrs, plus the internal battery for 8 or 10 more, so +50 hours is possible with the 5000 mAh external battery, and to be honest, it's very portable with this battery. I'm happy with this configuration for extended use, I can enjoy it without worrying at all about the battery. It would be ideal to last this long without the external battery but it wouldn't have Bluetooth, Wifi and streaming...

You mean charging with external battery while listening ?

It's no no for me , I would stay away from "foreign noise" and to save the internal battery from charging (input) and playing music (output) at the same time.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #1,762 of 3,003
You mean charging with external battery while listening ?

It's no no for me , I would stay away from "foreign noise" and to save the internal battery from charging (input) and playing music (output) at the same time.

Both ways works flawlessly, no foreign noise at all, either charging while listening or keeping it plugged to maintain the internal battery at 100%. I normally keep the external battery plugged to maintain the internal battery at 100%, it will last longer than I need. But I only use the external battery if I’m on the road, if I’m home the battery is good enough for my daily listening habits. if I don’t use WiFi for streaming or Bluetooth I charge it every other day.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,764 of 3,003
Both ways works flawlessly, no foreign noise at all, either charging while listening or keeping it plugged to maintain the internal battery at 100%. I normally keep the external battery plugged to maintain the internal battery at 100%, it will last longer than I need. But I only use the external battery if I’m on the road, if I’m home the battery is good enough for my daily listening habits. if I don’t use WiFi for streaming or Bluetooth I charge it every other day.

Yep I used an anker pack with mine and had no noise.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,765 of 3,003
Yep I used an anker pack with mine and had no noise.

Anker is even better, the smallest pack has double capacity (10,000 mAh) and almost the same size as mine.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,766 of 3,003

Complete opposite experience for me. Never drops with my S10+ while out doing my lunchtime walks but must admit not tried in a busy city centre or on public transport with lots of other tech around.

Also the one slightly raised rocker button for volume and skip is so easy to locate (blindly) compared to say buttons on the A105/ZX507 or any other device I've had.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,768 of 3,003
Complete opposite experience for me. Never drops with my S10+ while out doing my lunchtime walks but must admit not tried in a busy city centre or on public transport with lots of other tech around.

Also the one slightly raised rocker button for volume and skip is so easy to locate (blindly) compared to say buttons on the A105/ZX507 or any other device I've had.

Hopefully having the little s10, it will be the same for me :)

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #1,769 of 3,003

You can say a lot of things about the walkman. But the physical buttons of it are probably one of the best things about it. Stop fanboying the Fiio too much. I also like the idea of it but please keep reasonable

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,770 of 3,003
You can say a lot of things about the walkman. But the physical buttons of it are probably one of the best things about it. Stop fanboying the Fiio too much. I also like the idea of it but please keep reasonable

He loves the Walkman lol. I don't think he's said a bad thing about it. Unless I'm tripping in another dimension or having a flashback and missing stuff.

Which is very well possible. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back