The Slint Thread
Dec 30, 2003 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Masonjar

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok folks.. time to talk about your favorite "slintastic" bands/albums. Yes, Slint were a band that recorded a very small amount of music, but made a huge impact in the world of indie and post rock in the decade that followed. I had the idea for this thread a few days ago, and I hope some folks will chime in. I still love discovering new (or old) bands that were somehow influenced by the loud/soft dynamics, the whispers, the screams, the push-pull rhythms and the all those psychic waltzes..

by far, my favorite direct cousin of Slint's SPIDERLAND has got to be Rodan's 1994 classic RUSTY. Far from being a rip-off, they actually come from the same Louisville breeding grounds that gave rise to Slint. Rodan used many of Slint's signature tools in the making of Rusty, lots of 6/8 time, big dynamic shifts, strummy quiet sections giving way to angluar bursts of aggression. If anything, Rodan leaned more towards the Midwest, reminding us of bands like the Dazzling Killmen and The Jesus Lizard at times (Craw's guitarist Rocky used to call them "The Dazzling Slintmen").. Unfortunately Rodan only left us with one amazing album, but members of this band (much like the members of Slint) have gone onto other musical projects, including June of 44 and Shipping News.

The main focus for me, of RUSTY, is the 12 minute epic "The Everyday World of Bodies." A monument to surge and release, nearly sexual in its intensity and pent-up energy, the song slowly builds.. but the undercurrent remains steady, the 6/8 rhythm just kind of wraps itself around the listener's mind and body.. almost the sequel to Slint's own "Nosfaratu Man" - both rhythmically and lyrically: "The Train, had a sound, on the edge of town, moving around, it never rusts, it never sleeps.." The song moves on, working it's way through slight variations, much like Slint's "Good Morning Captain" - and even the climax of the song seems to look back to the Slint classic.. while Slint screamed "I Miss you".. Rodan answers back with similarly unrestrained passion - "I will Be there, I swear" .. it's a song that if I'm in the right frame of mind and body, can move me to tears or to just move almost uncontrolably about the room.. powerful stuff..

Hopefully this thread will light up some discussion!

Dec 30, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 4
A few years ago, I got Slint Spiderland based on lots of reviewers hailing it as a "lost classic". I tried to listen to it three or four times, but man, I have to tell you, I just didn't "get" it. I'm not opposed to avant-garde or "out-there" music by any means, but this CD actually made me *mad*.
eek.gif
I was almost appalled by it, actually.
tongue.gif
Very, very weird stuff, that's for sure. If you think this is a thread-crap, let me know and I'll delete my post.

Dec 30, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
A few years ago, I got Slint Spiderland based on lots of reviewers hailing it as a "lost classic". I tried to listen to it three or four times, but man, I have to tell you, I just didn't "get" it. I'm not opposed to avant-garde or "out-there" music by any means, but this CD actually made me *mad*.
eek.gif
tongue.gif
Very, very weird stuff, that's for sure. If you think this is a thread-crap, let me know and I'll delete my post.

ew.. I just stepped in it.. anyone know how to clean thread-crap offa my shoe??

hehe.. Are you Insane?? just kidding.. I can understand.. I think I've met more people in my life that don't like Slint than do.. they're definately a love 'em or hate 'em kind of group. I think part of it also might have to do with the fact that I was familiar with the whole scene and the environment that spawned it. It's pretty weird in context, but when you take it out of context it gets even stranger. Esp next to things that have more traditional production values, more traditional singing, etc. etc.

-jar

280smile.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Interesting, Spiderland is one of my favorite albums. I love it just because it creates such a tense atmosphere using a relatively small amount of instruments. I'm also a big fan of the singers voice, and the rawness and desperation it has, for me at least. But I completely understand why someone wouldn't get it, or like you said become appalled by it. I think the fact that you had such a strong reaction to it, is part of what makes it so great. It's not a pleasant album to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back