The Singlepower Extreme has arrived!
Apr 6, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #16 of 38
wow!this makes the waiting for mine even harder...
frown.gif

please post more impressions on the EXTREME,i am dying to know every detail about it's sound.,and i am excited you have the presonus CS,that is what i plan to buy in the future as a DAC,so please let me know if the EXTREME and CS is a good match.
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweetness! Nice looking setup you have there as well! Welcome to Team Singlepower!

Who says I want to join?

Just playing
biggrin.gif
It's only been 1 day and I LOVE my SP amp enough to join the team ;p

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow!this makes the waiting for mine even harder...
frown.gif

please post more impressions on the EXTREME,i am dying to know every detail about it's sound.,and i am excited you have the presonus CS,that is what i plan to buy in the future as a DAC,so please let me know if the EXTREME and CS is a good match.
cool.gif

I don't have much hardware experience (only heard things I've owned), but it seems the Extreme and presonus CS mate VERY well. Their characteristics are a great blend; the CS add TONS of dynamics to the music across all frequencies while the Extreme warms the sound and provides its superior soundstaging (all the while adding even more punch to the music).

Who ever said the HD650 was boring for rock? Hell no
600smile.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #19 of 38
Thanks for the impressions,made me very happy.
enjoy your new amp
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have much hardware experience (only heard things I've owned), but it seems the Extreme and presonus CS mate VERY well. Their characteristics are a great blend; the CS add TONS of dynamics to the music across all frequencies while the Extreme warms the sound and provides its superior soundstaging (all the while adding even more punch to the music).

Who ever said the HD650 was boring for rock? Hell no
600smile.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Extreme is very good with the K701 after a gain tube change to a 7n7.
tongue.gif

Mher6, what are you using for tubes in your Extreme?

Stock tubes, 6AS7 x2 and 6SN7EH. What tubes should I change them to? (considering options for with and without ECC adapter).

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #23 of 38
any updates?do you think that the burn in is making it sound better? is there any chance that you have tried it with RS-1?
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Stock tubes, 6AS7 x2 and 6SN7EH. What tubes should I change them to? (considering options for with and without ECC adapter).

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any updates?do you think that the burn in is making it sound better? is there any chance that you have tried it with RS-1?
rs1smile.gif

I don't own a RS-1 (in the farthER future I may purchase the ms2i/rs-2/mspro/rs-1), although Earl has mentioned several times that his MS2i's have never sounded better on the Extreme.

Burn-in - not too sure. I haven't been playing the same music through my headphones in the last 2 days, so I can't compare sonics by song. This may be placebo (quite possibly is), but the seperation between instruments seems to be improving (I played some trance through my hd650s today which I rarely do, but i've never heard the beats so distinct before).

In a week I'll post further impressions
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 38
Well today I hooked up the WA3 as the preamp to the Extreme. I can honestly say that the SQ did not benefit AT ALL from the WA3 acting as a preamp. The SQ lost some of its punch and forwardness.

I'm kind of disappointed since I'm stubborn to let go of my WA3
mad.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Well today I hooked up the WA3 as the preamp to the Extreme. I can honestly say that the SQ did not benefit AT ALL from the WA3 acting as a preamp. The SQ lost some of its punch and forwardness.

I'm kind of disappointed since I'm stubborn to let go of my WA3
mad.gif

I am curious as to why you would use the WA3 to preamp the Extreme. Were you expecting the sq to improve from the headphone out of the Extreme by using the WA3 as a preamp?

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious as to why you would use the WA3 to preamp the Extreme. Were you expecting the sq to improve from the headphone out of the Extreme by using the WA3 as a preamp?

I honestly didn't know what to expect; I hooked up the WA3 out of curiosity. I wasn't sure if the extreme would benefit at all, but obviously it didn't.

Just thought I'd try it
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #29 of 38
I've been using an Extreme-Platinum with BG outputs. This purchase was planned as the only tube hp amp. I have not been dissappointed. This thing changed after about 400 hrs. The soundstage expanded and the impact went up another level. Details are just awesome. There is so much power that I don't think I will ever tax it. I'm using the 701s and can't take it past 10 without hurting. My plan was to get a quality SS amp too. Now, I don't think it will improve my experiences. Perhaps at a meet, I can experience a unit or two to tell.

Using the Ray 6414 with RCA 6080s thru a tube DAC from my laptop. Sound is reference quality (meaning the best I have heard yet). Sounds better than my Pioneer 47A. Am currently trying some different gain tubes in the SP. Also planning to try some different driver tubes in the DAC (though I want to upgrade). I am considering a Benchmark/off-ramp I2S. Since this is pretty new, I am going to give it another year to get out of the (first one to have it) new pricing and see what other DAC makers adopt this interface.

The extreme has been my best purchase so far. Thanks to SACD Lover for answering all my noob ?s. This guy is top notch on tube advice. But then, I guess you all know that.

I'm a Happy Camper
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back