The SI1100 by Able Planet Review
Aug 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HeadphonesCom

Member of the Trade: Headphones.com
Hey all, DavidMahler here...

Many people may not have heard much about Able Planet, but they do make some very strong, travel-friendly products.  The SI1100 is their latest edition to the in-ear line.  I found it be an interesting item featuring some very strong points and some obvious weak points too.  

Please find my review below as is featured on Headphones.com 

IT’S A SMALL WORLD PLANET AFTERALL

Able planet has come up with a very interesting and useful design for those who like in ear headphones, but are looking for something a little less invasive with regards to the ear canal. 

DESIGN & FEATURES
The SI1100 is quite different looking from most other in-ear headphones.  At first glance they appear to be larger than what would suggest ergonomically desirable.  But as I put them on, I actually found the wearability of these earphones to be quite intuitive and comfortable.  The ear loops are a very nice feature.  These ear loops add extra “lock in” support for recreational activities.  Unlike other manufacturers whom at times have included optional ear loops with their in-ear headphones, the SI1100 must be worn with these ear loops.  It would seem to me that Able Planet made this decision due to the larger-than-average size of the ear piece.  I appreciate the hinge-oriented design of the ear loops on the Able Planet SI1100 which not only make for easier fitting, but tighter fitting since the hinge can move both forward and backward, therefore grasping the ears better.

The SI1100 comes with an assortment of silicone ear tips so that the user may find the best fit for his/herself.  However, unlike typical in-ears, the SI1100 does not insert into the ear canal, but rather rests just at the entrance of the ear canal.  This is similar to ear buds, but differs specifically because the shape and construction of the tip allows for a more snug fit and greater isolation value than the typical ear bud.  This puts the SI1100 in a unique class.  It should be noted that the isolation, while superior to ear bud offerings, is not quite as good as earphone designs where the ear tip fully expands within the ear canal. 

One of the key features of the SI1100 is it’s compatibility with Apple products.  Embedded into the cable a few inches down from the right earpiece is an Apple remote and microphone.  When hanging down from the head, the mic rests at approximately neck level.  This contributes to crisp and clear voice quality on the other end.  The speech quality coming through the headphones is excellent as well.  The remote control buttons are designed specifically for Apple products and work exactly as they should. 

I do think a small carryng case or pouch of some kind is an obvious omission here.  I like to take extreme care of my gear, however small and portable.  Able Planet unfortunately does not supply a travel case for these earphones.

ALL ABOUT THE SOUND
The most impressive aspect of the sound of the SI1100 is its fairly enormous soundstage for an in ear.  The soundstage here is quite tall and offers impressive depth as well.  I suspect that if the bass were slightly reduced, the soundstage would be even larger.  The instrument separation is quite good here as well, thought the imaging feels a little too hard right / hard left to consider optimal.  The bass is robust and full here, especially in the 50-80 hz region.  I enjoy this presentation for lots of genres such as Pop, R&B, Hip Hop and Rock.  I would say that even though the bass is pronounced and a little looser than I would find optimal, it is certainly not too pronounced that it intrudes unless you are looking specifically for a extremely neutral tonality.  The midrange presentation has some awkward peeks and dips and creates a slightly nasal overall tone.  A nasal midrange, while not the most preferable attribute to stamp onto a headphone, is actually quite common I’ve found in very revealing headphones and earphones.  The tone of the midrange accentuates violins and female vocals, but this is at the expense of sometimes hearing a bit of tin in the overall mix.  There were times that I felt the bass region was raised enough to make the mids sound recessed.  The highs, just a tad rolled off, prevent much fatigue.  I do feel that the highs were slightly grainy and contributed to a lack of overall transparency.  However, it is also in the highs that I feel the headphone was able to achieve such a distinct soundstage presentation. I was able to observe a significant amount of tape hiss both present in the midrange and highs using these.  This is not necessarily a bad thing however, as these IEMs show themselves to be quite revealing. 

Listening to The Beatles’ “The Long And Winding Road” from the 2009 remaster, I appreciated the forward vocal presentation which felt well defined in the center.  The orchestration lacked a bit overall definition and detail due in part to the midrange’s slightly aggressive peaks and dips.  The bass felt well defined here.  The highs demonstrated a tremendous presence of air without being overly aggressive or bright.

Listening to Fiona Apple’s “Oh Well” I was struck by how deep and impactful the bass could be on these headphones.  With every kick drum hit, I really felt not just the snap of the beater, but the resonance of the drum skin.  It was honestly a little more impactful than I would have preferred, but I could see a number of bass-lovers still wanting even more!:)  Fiona’s voice sounded truly wonderful here.  This recording is notoriously sibilant, and yet the SI1100 showed to have almost no trace of sibilant behavior. 

Listening to “The Bucket” by Kings Of Leon, I was impressed by the way the vocals were almost entirely separated from the guitar and yet both instruments coexisted in the sound picture with equal aggression.  This is interesting to me because guitar and vocals often mesh into one another creating a mess of sound.  I attribute this to the unique soundstage presentation of these earphones.  When the tambourine came in about 3/4 through the song, it entered at a very high place in the sound picture leading me to further appreciate the height of the soundstage offered here.

Listening to Jay-Z’s “Song Cry” I really felt the bass was truly immersive with being over-pronounced.  The words were easy to hear.  The SI1100 shows to be less aggressive in tone than many other in-ear headphones.  I attribute this to its large sound presentation which contributes to a small drop in intimacy associated with smaller soundstages.  The trade off however is worth it to me though as the SI1150 has more detail than many other comparably priced in-ears. 

LAST WORD…
The Able Planet SI1100 is a fine choice for someone looking for spacious sound from an in-ear.  While some may find its larger-average design a bit cumbersome when compared to other in-ears, I have little doubt that once worn, the user will appreciate its design for its non-invasive approach.  The call quality and remote are top notch at this price point.  The omission of a carrying case should be noted, but overall a very nice earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back