The shorter the cable, the better the sound.
Feb 2, 2007 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

ev13wt

1000+ Head-Fier
Well? A cable is basically a resistor, right? So I understand changing it alters, changes the sound sig of cans.

So the shorter the cable, the purer the sound "should" be. Right?
eggosmile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who says resistance is bad?

Well, I said alter/change.

Also the resistance is just that: Resistance for the purity of the signal.

I also think any type of jack is a weak link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the most pure cable is no cable at all. but people buy cables for altering the sound. just look at the high capacitance of audiophile cables.

Oh. Linky? I'm new to this.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 43
basically there is an argument that cheap cables induce jitter or messes up the sound somehow, but there is no evidence for this. so far, i'm convinced that cables are just a function of R, L, C, and shielding. different cables definately sound different. the more expensive cables are typically low inductance but high capacitance. they will definately alter the sound.

resistance isn't important, but for the cheap cables the skin effect is worse. still not big enough to alter the sound, though.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basically there is an argument that cheap cables induce jitter or messes up the sound somehow, but there is no evidence for this. so far, i'm convinced that cables are just a function of R, L, C, and shielding. different cables definately sound different. the more expensive cables are typically low inductance but high capacitance. they will definately alter the sound.

resistance isn't important, but for the cheap cables the skin effect is worse. still not big enough to alter the sound, though.

Thank you.

The low inductance I kind of get. But capacitance vs. resistance? I mean if the river is big, but there are rocks in it it will be turbulent.

So isn't lower resistance vs. higher capacitance more desirable? As in short fat copper (silver even) wire?

Or just fat silver wire, longer makes no difference really?

Ice cooled with liquid nitrogen :wink:

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 43
to shigzeo

except then you've got a crappy sounding shuffle dangling off of your headphones... I'd say that would be a bigger problem than a few feet of cable. Certainly not perfect sound.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by SethStoddart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to shigzeo

except then you've got a crappy sounding shuffle dangling off of your headphones... I'd say that would be a bigger problem than a few feet of cable. Certainly not perfect sound.

trust me, it don't get any betters. inside the shuffle is the most simple of all circuitry. if you can get the genious at redwine (i know they don't advertise this) to modify a straight from DAC to female 3.5 jack (cheaper than imod too and if your micro sd is out of sync, he will replace it too), your supermicro clicks to that and damn, good clean sound.

the shuffle is good by itself, but... with the imod tiny, it is perfect. just hangs a little heavy on one side. i am tyring to mod the other phone to see if i can get the weight in balance. cheers

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by indelibo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On jitter: http://www.stereophile.com/features/368/

Yes, ultra perfects clocks and stuff. But how would this in ANY way affect the analog transmission between player and headphones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you reterminate your headphones with switchraft 3.5 at the very base of the cable out, you can hang a shuffle from the terminated plug and elimate cables... perfect sound.

Yes, that's basically what the idea is. I hate wires. 1 Gen shuffle has a great footprint for mods!I like your style.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

if you reterminate your headphones with switchraft 3.5 at the very base of the cable out, you can hang a shuffle from the terminated plug and elimate cables... perfect sound.

hah; yes i love mine, but hardly perfect

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

trust me, it don't get any betters. inside the shuffle is the most simple of all circuitry. if you can get the genious at redwine (i know they don't advertise this) to modify a straight from DAC to female 3.5 jack (cheaper than imod too and if your micro sd is out of sync, he will replace it too), your supermicro clicks to that and damn, good clean sound.

the shuffle is good by itself, but... with the imod tiny, it is perfect. just hangs a little heavy on one side. i am tyring to mod the other phone to see if i can get the weight in balance. cheers

imod tiny? micro sd?

Amp? Help me out here please!

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 43
i love the shuffle for many reasons, but one of them is that if you mention anything about sq, there are those who swear by it and those who think it is rubbish... i am in the middle. i think for its size and price, nothing can touch it and it can sweetly drive my dt880 in all lushness.

the imod tiny however is my own imagination... vinnie is creative and a genius, but alas... i think that is impossible. i do use my shuffle with my supermicro though and it is a great pair.

short cables are beauty since i am always portable... but at home i have a 3 metre extension since i like such short cables... cuts you one way while massaging the other! cheers, sorry for the confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back