The Sharp Aquos D43U Series Thread
Feb 21, 2007 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Well, I did it. I finally bought a nice LCD HDTV and, consistent with many of my purchases, I bought a brand new model (released last week) without the benefit of any real professional or consumer reviews.

Anyway, the D43 series is the new line succeeding Sharp's D42 previous models, and represents their entry-level sets. I've been extremely impressed so far, with good contrast and spectacular colour reproduction (and I've only eyeballed the calibration so far)! For the price, I really couldn't be happier.

Anyone else jumped on this line of TVs? I'd like to hear your experiences so far.

For the record, I got the LC26D43U which is the 26" model.

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 9
WOW!!!
I so envy you!
This is the exact model that I wanted to buy the first day it's released, however, I've already bought the Sony Bravia KLSVA200 just 2 month ago...it's also the newest model from Sony but I really want to exchange it for this one. I'd consider it as an upgrade too! And I'm using a 26" as well!!
I'm glad you liked it cos there's absolutely no reviews on it at all, and you're the first I read from here.
cool.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes, I am extremely pleased so far. My choice was effectively between Sharp and Samsung, since they've both really been at the forefront of LCD technology (and furthering it) since it became a viable medium for the home. Plus, they seem to push the limits of what can be done further than others, without the pricetag of a Sony or Panny.

Funny that you would consider this an upgrade over the Sony though. I suppose their "best in class" stuff really doesn't start to shine until their bigger models?

Anyway, I'm surprised at just how nice this TV is. As I mentioned, I haven't even calibrated it properly yet (waiting for the disc to arrive). What's more, I don't get HD cable until Saturday and my DVD source has been my Mac Mini, not my upsampling progressive scan capable Marantz!

I'll be sure to post more impressions once I've had a chance to live with it a little longer, and under ideal circumstances.

Oh, a final point - and question for any other owners: When the TV is off (standby), the power supply produces an extremely high pitched hum. Is this normal or an issue? It's not loud enough to be an annoyance, but it does have me a little concerned if it's not a normal occurance.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Just an update, this television has an excellent picture with standard definition broadcasts - a surprise, considering the experiences I've had with older HDTVs has been the polar opposite. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on my HD box to show up, so no news on that.

I'll be picking up some cables this week, so I'll be able to update it's performance with DVDs running 720p. If I end up with an HDMI cable, I'll be sure to comment on how things look with upsampling to 1080i.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 9
wow, i like the specs on this tv...still wondering whether i should wait for more 1080p tvs even though there aren't a whole lot of content in 1080p yet...but 6000:1 contrast ratio and dual HDMI ain't too bad. great buy!!

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Kugino, if you can hold off until you can get a 1080p set, then by all means do so. Eventually, there will be a winner in the Blu-ray/HDDVD competition and full HD broadcasting is right around the corner (unless they keep pushing back the deadline).

The only reason I went with a 720p set was that my new apartment is very small, so 26 inches was about as big as I wanted to go anyway. I figured going full HD would be overkill.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kugino, if you can hold off until you can get a 1080p set, then by all means do so. Eventually, there will be a winner in the Blu-ray/HDDVD competition and full HD broadcasting is right around the corner (unless they keep pushing back the deadline).

The only reason I went with a 720p set was that my new apartment is very small, so 26 inches was about as big as I wanted to go anyway. I figured going full HD would be overkill.

i think we'll stick with our 100 pound sony 27" wega for now...it does its job and i think i can squeeze a couple more years out of it. plus, there are other toys i'd rather buy at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, i think buying a 1080p tv makes sense for the long run...i doubt full HD broadcasting will happen anytime soon...oh, and 720p is full HD, but 1080p is just a little better
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think we'll stick with our 100 pound sony 27" wega for now...it does its job and i think i can squeeze a couple more years out of it. plus, there are other toys i'd rather buy at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

My first choice was a Sony Wega 30" HD CRT. Tubes are still the superior picture, no contest. I ended up with an LCD simply for the space saving aspects (small bachelor pad).

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i think buying a 1080p tv makes sense for the long run...i doubt full HD broadcasting will happen anytime soon...oh, and 720p is full HD, but 1080p is just a little better
wink.gif

Yea, 720 is "full HD"... until 1080p takes off and sets the bar. Regardless, if you were considering a large television, it only makes sense to go the 1080 route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back