The Sennheiser Momentum
Jan 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Yes, it is unfortunate that the latest $300 headphones are geared towards the lowest common denominator..

I personally think this is a good thing. I really like having headphones that are versatile enough to be used straight from my iphone when I don't to carry extra gear. I also think the way these types of phones are being tuned makes them much more versatile with source material, both in term sof genre and quality. I am currently switching between my Momentums and the Beyer DT1350s and I find the Beyers are a lot less forgiving of source material, even amped out of an iMod using lossless files. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Ipod is perfect for the Momentums, they are specifically designed to be used straight out of an ipod or iphone.
For most listeners an amp is unnecessary. They only become necessary if you you are really concerned about sound quality or if you want to use a higher impedance headphone.

If you are new to all this I would just get the Momentum for now and not worry about an amp. You can always add an amp later if you decide you want to.

I really disagree... they work well with an ipod because they are efficient... but to me... they only sound decent that way... Still good... but not like $300 headphones. 
Where as... when I use them with my iPod 5.5 + Fiio e11 Amp they sound really, really great. Most definitely better than any other closed headphones I've tried.. 
I think Sennheiser always keeps that mentality in mind....
Such as one of the reasons they've said they use a single driver for their IEMs... is because multi-driver IEMs run into issues with the sound quality when plugged into a quality amp. 
Source: http://youtu.be/AVuj0FxABVI 
Good listen by the way... I learned a few things about headphone design. 

I think if you're not going to bother with an amp... there might be better options.... though the momentums are still pretty strong either way. I personally really love them with my amped iPod Video. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
I have been looking for a long time for the best headphones for me, and after a deep searching i was thinking about two headphoens, the Sennheiser HD598 and the Senhheiser Momentum and I decided that the Momentum's are better for my needs of hearing music (I am listening to rock, jazz, classic music and a little metal, and creating a little music in the computer) but with all of the portability of these headphones and there sound quality i noticed that there ear cup is really small.
I don't have big ears at all, actually my ears are small but what is the size of the ear cups? how can i know if my ears are ok to these headphones? fo you know anything else about the Momentum's that might help me?

thanks for help :)

L3000.gif

As far as size goes.... they are pretty small. They are almost exactly the same size as the HD 203. They are on-ear headphones for me... and they DO clamp... but the pads are definitely softer, thicker and nicer than the HD 203. 
To me... they are pretty comfortable... I personally have no real problems with their level of comfort.... and I AM pretty picky about that....
But there are definitely more comfortable headphones. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
Yes, it is unfortunate that the latest $300 headphones are geared towards the lowest common denominator..

I disagree, Sennheiser has so many great models already, for them to make a good headphone that the average consumer would actually consider purchasing is only good, as it might get them to start caring about proper audio more and maybe try to convince their friends.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
I disagree, Sennheiser has so many great models already, for them to make a good headphone that the average consumer would actually consider purchasing is only good, as it might get them to start caring about proper audio more and maybe try to convince their friends.

Sennheiser has WAY too many headphones available. Like restaurants that offer too many menu options...eventually everything tastes average

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
I really disagree... they work well with an ipod because they are efficient... but to me... they only sound decent that way... Still good... but not like $300 headphones. 
Where as... when I use them with my iPod 5.5 + Fiio e11 Amp they sound really, really great. Most definitely better than any other closed headphones I've tried.. 
I think Sennheiser always keeps that mentality in mind....
Such as one of the reasons they've said they use a single driver for their IEMs... is because multi-driver IEMs run into issues with the sound quality when plugged into a quality amp. 
Source: http://youtu.be/AVuj0FxABVI 
Good listen by the way... I learned a few things about headphone design. 

I think if you're not going to bother with an amp... there might be better options.... though the momentums are still pretty strong either way. I personally really love them with my amped iPod Video. 

You might be right but I prefer to tailor advice to where the OP is currently at rather than swamping them with new choices. I reckon the the Momentum sounds better than it's competitors in price and aesthetics straight out of an iPod that I've heard (B&W P5, AT ESW9, Sony R1s).

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
You might be right but I prefer to tailor advice to where the OP is currently at rather than swamping them with new choices. I reckon the the Momentum sounds better than it's competitors in price and aesthetics straight out of an iPod that I've heard (B&W P5, AT ESW9, Sony R1s).

Very valid point. The Momentum has one of the best un-amped sounds I've heard in a while. My only gripe would be the lack of bottom end bass but that's not what the headphone is made for so I don't hold it accountable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back