The Sennheiser Momentum
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nirki98

New Head-Fier
I have been looking for a long time for the best headphones for me, and after a deep searching i was thinking about two headphoens, the Sennheiser HD598 and the Senhheiser Momentum and I decided that the Momentum's are better for my needs of hearing music (I am listening to rock, jazz, classic music and a little metal, and creating a little music in the computer) but with all of the portability of these headphones and there sound quality i noticed that there ear cup is really small.
I don't have big ears at all, actually my ears are small but what is the size of the ear cups? how can i know if my ears are ok to these headphones? fo you know anything else about the Momentum's that might help me?

thanks for help :)

L3000.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 22
Hello!

The momentums lacks soundstage...not sure if it will play well with classic. Have you ever tried HD4xx? Yea, smaller than it. HD598 has forward mids & highs but lacks in bass for basshead.

Billson :)

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 22
The momentums are fine with all ear sizes. If your ears are on the larger side, the cups sit partially on them, which is fine.

They actually have quite a good soundstage for a closed portable headphone and are
fine with classical. They are a very versatile headphone.

People on here will give a bunch of unhelpfully complicated and frankly dubious information. You only have one choice to make: the brown or the black!

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 22
The momentums are fine with all ear sizes. If your ears are on the larger side, the cups sit partially on them, which is fine.

They actually have quite a good soundstage for a closed portable headphone and are
fine with classical. They are a very versatile headphone.

People on here will give a bunch of unhelpfully complicated and frankly dubious information. You only have one choice to make: the brown or the black!

That, I don't agree. The Momentums has narrow soundstage. Although it's a closed headphone, the MDR-1R which cost less has wider soundstage to me. What source you use? :)

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 22
I think that the black is more beautiful but i cant find it in amazon... can i buy the black from sennheiser site? and will it cost the same as amazon? do you know if it will have other colors later?
and i know it doesn't connect to the subject but what means oham in headphones?

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 22
Can't excatly explain to you what Ohm means but the use of it is to tell/show you the power recuired to drive it. The smaller, the more power required, the larger the more current required. Note that, impedance will effect the entire frecuency range. Depending on your source's output impedance, if it is too high, it will greatly change the entire FR curve. It is best if the output impedance of your source is 8 times or more smaller than your headphone impedance. Let's say you have a pair of headphone that has 32 ohm. To avoid any FR changes, it is best to use a source with impedance lower than 4 Ohm. Ones again, the smaller it is, the better. 

Do note that, impedance that is returned in the technical specification are measured at 1KHz. Different FR point, has different impedance. 

To further understand, feel free to read this interesting article http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-matching-basics-you-need-to-know 

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
I think that the black is more beautiful but i cant find it in amazon... can i buy the black from sennheiser site? and will it cost the same as amazon? do you know if it will have other colors later?
and i know it doesn't connect to the subject but what means oham in headphones?

The black ones have only just been released, you might need to wait a couple of weeks for them to show up on amazon.

I have tried a lot of closed portable headphones over the years and the Momentum is one of the best I have heard in terms of soundstage. I tried the R1s straight out of my ipod and they were not as impressive as the momentum.

Ohms measure 'output impedance', basically, if you want to use the headphones straight out of a phone or ipod etc, you want low output impedance, 32ohm is usual for headphones intended for this use. Headphones that have a higher output impedance require more power at around 200ohm or higher, a dedicated headphone amplifier is generally required. Between 50 and 200ohm it varies depending on the specific headphones, sometimes they are still quite efficient, meaning fine from a phone of ipod, sometimes not.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
so ipod is ok for that?
and how an amp is helping for headphones?
sorry for my knowledge but thats how to learn right?
and is an amp is something so importent to use with headphones?

Ipod is perfect for the Momentums, they are specifically designed to be used straight out of an ipod or iphone.
For most listeners an amp is unnecessary. They only become necessary if you you are really concerned about sound quality or if you want to use a higher impedance headphone.

If you are new to all this I would just get the Momentum for now and not worry about an amp. You can always add an amp later if you decide you want to.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 22
Yes, it is unfortunate that the latest $300 headphones are geared towards the lowest common denominator..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back