The Senn 650 question
Oct 10, 2005 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Xoton

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I hate to start such a pedestrian thread as this, but I just didn't feel like combing through 6,000 returned-search-threads...

QUESTION 1: So, after having just recently discovered the Sennheiser joy in my Senn 580s, what will I be getting with 650s? That's the question.

I'm coming from a heavy Ety-fanboy position, which I still love for reference and analyzing (and listening-too!), but while watching TV through my Sr-71 and Senn580s, I had that epiphany thing with the senns. The "oh my God, these things are so easy on my ears, so delicously rich, so seriously good." And the Head-Fi idiot in me instantly asks, "what am I missing with 650s!!!??! It was also an Emmeline SR-71 epiphany, too...realizing what this amp can do. Perhaps it was those things coupled with a different source than my usual portable Iriver SlimX. But it was niiiiiiiiiiice.

And QUESTION 2: Do they or anyone else make speakers that sound like this? And dare I ask, what would it cost to get me behind the wheel of that sound?

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Question #1: In my opinion, the most significant difference between the 580 and 650 is that the 650 smooths out the midbass hump of the 580s. The 650s are bassier, overall.

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 10
650's have tighter bass and more of it! The have a warmer mid range IMO and the highs are more detailed and slightly smoother.

As far as speakers... well that's just a whole other ball game but without spending a fortune I like the Klipsch reference series.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Being a classical music fan and posting alot with other classical music fans I found that they tend to favor Sennheiser headphones and B&W speakers.

I haven't heard them, but I know for a fact that it's common to use B&W speakers in recording studios for classical.

If you don't listen to classical, I guess it's irrelevant... but just in case!
biggrin.gif

After I graduate and get a real job I plan on upgrading from my cheap sony towers to B&Ws.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Would the 650s be a significant upgrade from the 580s?

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I had a pair of 580's one time. A $40 pair of Radio Shack/Koss phones blew the 580's away. I could not believe it and back they went. More recently I had a pair of 600's and shortly after getting the 600's found a great deal on a pair of 650's. Within an hour of getting the 650's and listening to them, I packed up the 600's to sell on Agon. The 650's are the best Senn has yet to make (in the HD series). To me they are clearer and more dynamic at all frequency's than any of the other Senn cans. There is just more there, there.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
650's have tighter bass and more of it! The have a warmer mid range IMO and the highs are more detailed and slightly smoother.

Personally, I feel wakeride's statement hit the nail on the head. I used the HD580's for 1.5 years, and I've been listening to the HD650's for about 4 months now. Those two sentences do a wonderful job summing it all up.

Now, I don't necessarily think the HD650's are an upgrade per se...more like a slightly different flavor of the Sennheiser sound. I think the only way to see if you like them is to find out for yourself.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerfan
Being a classical music fan and posting alot with other classical music fans I found that they tend to favor Sennheiser headphones and B&W speakers.

I haven't heard them, but I know for a fact that it's common to use B&W speakers in recording studios for classical.

If you don't listen to classical, I guess it's irrelevant... but just in case!
biggrin.gif

After I graduate and get a real job I plan on upgrading from my cheap sony towers to B&Ws.
smily_headphones1.gif

While I like senns and B&W I don’t think they sound that similar. Many B&W are a little bright when compared to the 650s (not really bright though). I think the similarity is in the midrange. Both B&W (703s and up) sound very good in the midrange. I think what makes them both good for classical is thier midrange transparency. But they sound very different.

Question #2

B&W speakers range from $600-$40000. Things really start to get good at about the $3000 range with the 703s.

I think the brand Tannoy sounds a little like the 650s. They are similar to the B&W sound but I feel the highs are a little softer. The Tannoy Sensys DC2 are about $1200.

Question #1

Why ask? I mean who are you kidding if you are asking about how much better the 650s are we all know you have already talked yourself into them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though they are better but you really need a good source/amp to take advantage of it. But hey it is head-fi so I will telling you to up grade your source too.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 10
I like Senns, but do not like many / most of the B&W line. Not to get off on too much of a tangent, but I sold my Nautilus 804s a few years ago (my 2nd pair of B&W, replacing older Matrix speakers) and have been through a fair range of speakers since then, some less expensive, some more (none of them B&W). Out of a list of six speakers I've owned since then (I sold the N803s to a cousin, who still owns them) - I'd place them dead last. Things may improve up the line (but definitely not down) but I think B&W is a poor bang for the buck proposition nowadays. Just my opinion, but I personally do not think the B&W 8 series compares well to Sennheisers.
One good thing is B&Ws have many dealers (at least in this area) so perhaps you can get a demo - maybe they've improved their line in the last few years.

Oct 12, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 10
I agree with the previous poster in that the 650's take out the bass hump, thus they sound more natural, clearer, while still retaining the signature Senn sound.

The speakers that I feel most closely resemble the Senn sound are the Revel Ultima Salon speakers. They retail at around $20k /pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back