The Second Offical Sydney "mini" meet :) Grado fanboys enter! [56k]
Sep 19, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 58
Ok having recovered from the flight and lack of sleep I spose it's my turn to chime in.

The case for the m3 wasn't ready.. the builder for the case kept saying it'd be ready last week but at 3pm on friday he said he couldn't manage it. At that point I went to a local electronics store and bought a 2u rackmount cabinet just for the meet. I was livid. I worked straight through the night to six thirty in the morning on the damn thing just so I could have it ready for the meet, so I arrived in sydney with about 3 hours sleep. I admit it was a rush job(please no one judge my casework by the pictures! - if I had time it would look much better...), but it worked. When I arrived, on plugging in the m3 it blew a circuit breaker at cov's house.. glad I wired up the ac ground... one of the wires came off the ac switch and shorted to the case, easy fixed with a screwdriver but it gave us one hell of a surprise/shock, the thought of no M3 at the meet was just crushing after all that work..

Now my impressions:

SA5ks (with and without the recable): The recable to silver coated copper improved the midrange weight, but not significantly. I could barely tell the difference between the two pairs, but it was there. More of an issue was that the original cord was very thin and, I'd guess, prone to breaking.

PS-1s: These are THE bass kings, If I had a friend who loved bass more than they loved life itself, these would be the cans I'd recommend for them. I was overall pretty underwhelmed by them but their dynamics were what made them worth a listen.

RS-1s: If I were to go another grado type phone these would be it. I thought a HUGE contrast to the MS-Pros and PS-1s. I felt they were very lively in a soundstageous mosh pit sense. That said I felt that the depth of soundstage was a little too broad. The detail was all there but euphony was the flavor of the day for these, so I had mixed feelings overall. These are probably my favorite of the headphones out there at the meet(second to the SA5ks)

MS-Pros: Huge disappointment struck when I heard the MS Pros, I was expecting much, and got very little. The sound just seemed dark and lifeless to me, without verve, punch or imaging. I only tried them for a very short while because I just about balked when I first heard them. I was expecting an RS-1 type of headphone, but didn't get it..bit strange

SR325s: I found these were very very similar to the MS-2s I heard last week, In fact I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference if I was in a DBT with both. The treble and bass is really muddy in a mosh pit/concert kind of way, whereas the midrange retains its feel.

Beyer DT770: Sloppy, dark, coloured, unimpressive. Didn't get much of a listen because I simply didn't like them.

AT woodies: Jazz. If Jazz was the only genre you listened to, these would be the headphones I'd recommend. They do it in style and they do it perfectly. Anything else they're too coloured, the treble is too tinny, and they're darkish. But put Krall or such on and they just sing.

The short of my impressions is that I'm very happy with my sa5ks and think that nothing this side of $2000USD is more my style. I'd really hoped this wasn't going to be the case when I attended the meet but they are THE can for me. Guess upgraditis is staved off for a while.

Amps:

The Melos SHA-1: was an interesting amp, I got the impression that I was actually inside one of the tubes when I listened to it. Felt like a tunnelly sort of warmth was added to the sound. again, not my thing, but I can see how it could mate nicely with the RS-1s and such.

The EMP: If I were to buy a tube amp, this would be it. I loved it to bits out of all the amps on the table, this was the most versatile (Without modification to the m3 or ppa - opamp wise) of all. Simply sweet, fast alluring, enjoyable, friendly, bouncy, lively, and overall just damn nice. I didn't think that a tube amp could sound like that, but it has raised the bar when it comes to my thoughts on tubes in general.

Was good to hear different music styles for the first time too (I think kenny will agree there).

The most fascinating thing at the meet was the people. These guys (all of them) are really great people. But what struck me was that everyone had such different tastes toward music, sound and their gear preference. It was fantastic to see such diversity when it came to likes/dislikes and preferences.

I had an absolute blast being there, can't say enough good things about the guys though, you all ROCK
smily_headphones1.gif

ps. Kenny please post more pics.... there were lots taken!

Sep 19, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 58
i'll do more detailed impressions later tonight but i would also like to add that i've got the ms-pros and sa5ks at home now thanks to Covenant and these will be put through a 3 day burn in with more impressions later.

This meet for me was all about the grados, the ps-1s really really impressed me, unlike other bass monster headphones, these don't output bass when there is none, I feel the bass representation in these headphones is although a tad too much very realistic.

I wont comment on the sa5ks until a further listining.

black_replica you are indeed a bass head :p and i think the ps-1s > dt770 in a big big way.

i would also like to mention that Arcadian_Soul is crazy for listining at such high volumes, dude that volumes gotta be bad for your ears!

PS: more pics when i get home

Sep 19, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 58
Another hugely successful meet, I had an awesome time! Thanks to all who came out and to Kenny for organising the location. After driving around half of Sydney yesterday, I came home and crashed out like a baby (was one of the best crash out's I've had btw...even dreamt about PS-1's which wasn't a good sign.
eek.gif
Believe it or not, I was at a Broncos footy match with a pair of PS-1's on my head!!)

Jazper - nice to hear you touched down in Melb safely without any hiccups!

Cov - haha glad you liked the black album! Enjoy, every single track on that album rocks hard! I'll grab it off you next time I see you.

Onto some impressions....(note, I concentrated mainly on the grados with tubes, so you might see some biased impressions and therefore YMMV!)

We had a myriad of grado's avail. ranging from the sr80's all the way up to the PS-1. I guess the only one that was missing was the hp series. I'll say this now, blackreplica's PS-1 were the KING "be all, end all" GRADO's, IMO! Everyone had varying tastes in music and headphones, and to some people the PS-1 didn't rock their boat but for me I could not find any fault in its sound. Especially with my Melos setup, it was simply a breathtaking experience.....
eek.gif

How a pair of cans produce such deep and impactful bass, but doesn't overwhelm/muddy up any other frequencies had me scratching my head. By the way, the basshead in me preferred the flats with the PS-1's.
basshead.gif
PS-1 highs were a significant step-up from the RS-1's in that it was more controlled and detailed, but yet it was more neutral at the same time. It didn't have the warm and fuzzy colouration of the rs-1 woodies, but retained all of the aggressiveness and attack that Grado is known for. Simply amazing...I just wish I had the money for them! Anyone want to buy my Marshall Tube Head??
eek.gif

Apart from the PS-1's, I preferred my RS-1's to all the other grados at the meet.
SR325's with flats actually sounded pretty good out of the Melos though; it had loads of dynamics and sounded great with heavier rock music. It reminded me of the sr225's but with more refined highs. I didn't find the highs to be thin or shrilly at all...it could have been the flats though. With the funky yellow (senn?) pads Taoster had on them initially, it sounded muddy and lifeless.

I really didn't like the ms-pros....they had a fairly bland sound, like a neutralised RS-1's which didn't do it for me. I only listened for a few minutes and didn't listen to them much after that.

Non-grado impressions:
SA5000 - I had mixed impressions of the SA5000's, again. I really tried to like these, but to be honest I didn't enjoy the accentuated highs. It really did sound thin on some recordings. The bass was, however, the most accurate and tight bass of all the cans. But again, it lacked impact for my liking. I don't know, the two sa5k owners told me it takes at least 3 days to get accustomed and fully appreciate the sa5k sound...but again I have my doubts.

ATH-W10LTD - Now this was comfiest and best-looking cans of the meet! More stable than the cd3k's in terms of how it sits on your head and ears, mainly due to the ingenious wing headband design. The sound wasn't too bad either: I thought it had the right amount of detail and bass for jazzy and laid back music, but it could not compare to grados or even the sony's in terms of dynamics and attack. It had very nice instrumental separation though, sometimes too much and thus it favoured well with the tubes in general.

Westone UM2 - My poor ipod felt so out of place at the meet! With all the iRiver big guns looking down on the mini, I was forced to the corner of the room with the um2 and ipod. But even from the corner, I could not deny how good the um2 sounded straight off my ipod. Very full and engaging sound with loads and loads of deep, powerful bass. I usually play my mini straight with the e4's with mp3gain'ed EQ bass boost and I thought that was sufficient, but I was shocked by the um2 even without bass boost!! Now I need a UM2!
tongue.gif

Now the amps...

M^3 - I didn't particularly enjoy the M^3...it had a fairly dark sound which I didn't enjoy, but there was the right synergy with the sa5k's. Not too sure which chips were being used but with all the grado's, I much preferred the other amps especially the tubes!

earmax pro - This thing is TINY! I nearly had an accident with it as well....not to mention the blackreplica incident...but through it all it just proved how sturdy the little bugger is!
wink.gif
No seriously though, this thing sounded fantastic! If I remember correctly, I think the tubes Taoster was using were Amperex Orange globe 6dj8's...and they sounded soooooooo sweet!! The sound was so full and lush, like a beautiful busty chick with all the right makeup on.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really enjoyed the earmax pro with everything that I had the pleasure of listening to.

PPA - man, this amp looked sexy! Those bright red LED's with wooden knobs, now that was one classy looking amp! Soundwise, it lacked the greater dynamics and sounded bit too dry for my tastes. It was very detailed though, and with my rs-1's, I prefered this to the m^3.

Melos - It was running on a pair of Jan Sylvannia 6922's tubes and sounded great with anything grado. The highs were smooth with lots of weight behind each note and loads of deep bass, especially matched well with the PS-1's!
EDIT: I received a pair of NOS Siemens PCC88 (7dj8) in the mail today, and my first impression - WOW! What a difference. Everything sounds even better - faster, dynamic, cleaner, more detail and just sings much better!
biggrin.gif

That's about all I can remember. Man that group shot...everyone came out so well except me! I look constipated...
tongue.gif

Kenny, can you post all of the pics please?

Sep 19, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 58
Thanks for your concern nath, I haven't checked the amps out yet so I don't know what state they're in but I'm here in one piece. I'll probably check them out sometime this afternoon, depending on how I feel, still a bit washed out, it's been a huge weekend for me (and I loved every minute of it). That "lacking" you saw in the solid state amps, is probably because you're a tube man.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not to worry

A big thankyou to all sydneysiders, especially Covenant for being a great host, and chungsoi for being designated limo driver.

Sep 19, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 58
I love reading about grado impressions! you guys are on a roll down there! you should all pass a hat around and get a rep to the (inter)National Meet in NYC next spring!

(i guess the tushi couldn't gasp its way to a repeat performance this time around? curse you, Post office!)

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I love reading about grado impressions! you guys are on a roll down there! you should all pass a hat around and get a rep to the (inter)National Meet in NYC next spring!

(i guess the tushi couldn't gasp its way to a repeat performance this time around? curse you, Post office!)

Yeah the poor Tushi did make it to the meet (in the hope that someone may have been able to fix it), but no luck. Kenny couldn't pinpoint exactly where the pots were (if any) and no one else had any experience with dvd players as such. It wasn't able to spin any cd's when it got there, so it was packed away early.
frown.gif

Curse you POST and Wagner Electronics!

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
Yeah the poor Tushi did make it to the meet (in the hope that someone may have been able to fix it), but no luck. Kenny couldn't pinpoint exactly where the pots were (if any) and no one else had any experience with dvd players as such. It wasn't able to spin any cd's when it got there, so it was packed away early.
frown.gif

Curse you POST and Wagner Electronics!

I had NO idea what was going on there, I had a brief look but it was out of my depth.

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

PPA - man, this amp looked sexy! Those bright red LED's with wooden knobs, now that was one classy looking amp! Soundwise, it lacked the greater dynamics and sounded bit too dry for my tastes. It was very detailed though, and with my rs-1's, I prefered this to the m^3.

And to think that was a rush job to get it finished the weekend before when Jazper said he wanted to borrow (and I couldn’t resist to show it off
biggrin.gif
) and only two of the knobs across the front actually work to exactly how they are meant to (the volume and input selection)
When I get it back I got a lot of work to go in finishing it off and if the Melbourne meet goes ahead it will be making an appearance (with me too this time) in a much better and sexier state
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #25 of 58
wouldn't even play one CD? wagner electronics made it even worse? bring in croc dundee and school those fools!

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #26 of 58
Me and Kenny are regular MacGuyvers when it comes to this kind of thing, if it was something simple we could do, we would have done it. I noticed kenny's ability like that when he used a rubber band in place of a washer on the melos volume control. Me, when I used zip ties/wire ties to secure toroidal transformers in both major amplifiers I brought. Just wish I brought my leatherman with me, would have made life easier for me..

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 58
I'm thinking now that if there's even one way to keep Tushi off the trash heap, it would be to pick up a used 3960 (or any unit identical to it) off ebay for 50 bucks and either transfer parts to the ebay tosh, or the good parts to the Tushi. scavenging is cheaper than asking Toshiba for replacement parts methinks? let me know, i'd love to hear that the Tushi makes a comeback down under!

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

I'm thinking now that if there's even one way to keep Tushi off the trash heap, it would be to pick up a used 3960 (or any unit identical to it) off ebay for 50 bucks and either transfer parts to the ebay tosh, or the good parts to the Tushi. scavenging is cheaper than asking Toshiba for replacement parts methinks? let me know, i'd love to hear that the Tushi makes a comeback down under!

I'd love to help, really, but really some Voodoo needs to happen to resurrect it. I'd be happy to have another look at it, but would probably need more parts, a new board would probably help, I could compare the differences and modify the other tosh board to get it working. *shrugs* just some thoughts..

Sep 19, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

That's definitely a great idea and thanks for the offer Jaz, but would really find comfort in having the mods/transfer done by Voodoo or someone who has had extended experience in dealing with the Tushi....

Sep 19, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

That's definitely a great idea and thanks for the offer Jaz, but would really find comfort in having the mods/transfer done by Voodoo or someone who has had extended experience in dealing with the Tushi....

No problem at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back